Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Thing is I really think Shearer wants to fix this club. He isn't KK, I don't think he'd abandon us like that.

:idiot2:

Keegan didn't abandon the club, he was forced out by Ashley.

Had this argument before, he walked out on us. Not for the first time either.

Well, all your current effort means is you've failed to learn anything from this previous argument you had assuming someone of intelligence tried to get the obvious into your heed.

Fact is, any manager worthy of the name is not going to be happy without control over which players come in and which players go out. The club is in my blood but I'd walk away if I was working under those conditions. Only a spineless tw*t wouldn't and only a moron would expect someone to work under those conditions.

Cheers

is that why he went first time round then ?

Some might argue that the club becoming a PLC was a turning point Keegan identified as tying his hands in his efforts to continue improving the team, so not quite the same but the same result at the end of the day, ie, he's unable to strengthen the team.

I've answered your question but I'm not sure why you even asked it, given that it's irrelevant when it comes to Ashley failing to back Keegan, unless you back Ashley.  I haven't been following the forum for quite a while now. Are you an Ashley fanboy, madras?

so keegan left because he was asked to work under cash constraints that most managers in the world have to ?

not quite an ashley fanboy (but at the time i did think it was time for fred to go). as regards the keegan situation i think too many are backing personalities . keegan has form in trying to play power games to get his way and when all comes to all we haven't got a clue what went on those few months. i'd like it to go to court and the facts to come out so we did know. (i believe if the situation was reversed and keegan had been the in the wise position and vice versa then the majority would still back keegan....no proof needed it's all personality so far)

Do you think Shearer will stay, HTL?

Not a clue, really.  Sometimes I think the time it's taking is a bad sign, sometimes a good sign.

It should be simple. You appoint a manager, give him what he wants that the club can afford and you let him run it the way he wants to run it. You give him total control over the playing, coaching and medical side of things, who goes and who comes in. That's why you appoint a manager imo. These things shouldn't even be up for discussion.

I agree with this from Mowen...

Shearer's a smart bloke. He knows that he holds the power here and I think he'll be looking to squeeze every last ounce he can out of Ashley. I think (and hope) that that's what's causing the hold ups.

In practice, it can't work like that. The manager and the owner / chief exec have to be working together, because which player comes in and out is determined by financial considerations as well as football ones. In the days when salaries were relatively small compared to transfer fees, it was a bit easier to say to a manager that there's x amount in the transfer budget, but it's not so simple now, particularly in a situation where the salary budget has to be slashed. A manager can make his views known, but 'total control' is a myth.

We're in a situation now where, more than ever, it's important that the manager and the owner have a good working relationship. With Keegan, we've seen the cost of the opposite scenario. Now I know that many people will take the view that the bad relationship was all Ashley / Wise / Llambias's fault. Ashley may have made mistakes, but to lay all the blame on him is to be blind to Keegan's faults and the agenda that he was bringing to the table.

I'd like to see Shearer given the job (assuming he really does want it), and I'd like to see him given money to spend. But this has got to be a long-term arrangement which all parties are genuinely happy with, otherwise it'll unravel very quickly.

Louise Taylor:

Newcastle fans are becoming anxious that after four days of negotiations with Ashley and his team Shearer has still not signed a managerial contract. Club sources, though, remain optimistic an announcement could be "imminent" and emphasise the legal complexities involved in drafting such agreements. Meanwhile, Ashley's financial advisors have had to check that all Shearer's demands make business sense, thereby dictating that compromises will almost certainly need to be reached in certain spheres.

Glad to see we can still have debates on this forum without it descending into personal attacks. Nice one lads. :thup:

What personal attacks?

Liquidcack. How about that for a personal attack? [wink']

Louise Taylor:

Newcastle fans are becoming anxious that after four days of negotiations with Ashley and his team Shearer has still not signed a managerial contract. Club sources, though, remain optimistic an announcement could be "imminent" and emphasise the legal complexities involved in drafting such agreements. Meanwhile, Ashley's financial advisors have had to check that all Shearer's demands make business sense, thereby dictating that compromises will almost certainly need to be reached in certain spheres.

Don't mind the wait as long as things are right from the very start.

Thing is I really think Shearer wants to fix this club. He isn't KK, I don't think he'd abandon us like that.

proof needed.

So you believe Keegan made the decision regarding all of the players who were brought in?

Guest toonlass

Just had word from someone (who hasn't been involved with the club until 8games left in the season).

Shearer has everything agreed but is waiting on someone else's contract to be confirmed & signed before his contract is signed announced.

Happy Days!

Krul

Beye - Taylor - Bassong - Enrique

Just sort out the midfield!

Whose?

Just had word from someone (who hasn't been involved with the club until 8games left in the season).

Shearer has everything agreed but is waiting on someone else's contract to be confirmed & signed before his contract is signed announced.

Happy Days!

Krul

Ah if only life involving this club was that simple.

proof needed.

So you believe Keegan made the decision regarding all of the players who were brought in?

haven't got a clue......do you think it's possible keegan wanted players out of the clubs reach or planned pay structure in order to press his authority ? (rumour always had it thats why he got peter garland...just to prove that the club would buy any old shit he wanted)

Happy Days!

Krul

Whose?

A certain member of the non-playing staff

Guest toonlass

Happy Days!

Krul

Whose?

Whose name is?

Guest johnson293

Happy Days!

Krul

Whose?

Whose name is?

at a guess, I would say a certain rumoured to be returning former coach to Bobby Robson?

Happy Days!

Krul

Whose?

Whose name is?

Nacho Gonzalez?

:kinnear:

Well, all your current effort means is you've failed to learn anything from this previous argument you had assuming someone of intelligence tried to get the obvious into your heed.

Fact is, any manager worthy of the name is not going to be happy without control over which players come in and which players go out. The club is in my blood but I'd walk away if I was working under those conditions. Only a spineless tw*t wouldn't and only a moron would expect someone to work under those conditions.

Cheers

agreed. KK loves the club like we do, and Shearer does.

If Shearer doesnt take the job now, will he be viewed as walking away, or will ashley be thought of as being a twat?

Cheers

is that why he went first time round then ?

Which first time are you referring to ?   The time when we were in the second division and SJH had promised him funds and lied to him or the time when we were floated on the stock exchange and the priorties of the board changed from team building to making cash for themselves?

the time he actually walked when some restraints were put on him....every manager has some restraints,some are higher than others.

Do u really think he wanted to leave? For fucks sake we had just came off a second place finish and looking good to win it.

KK had to commit to 4 years with circumstational changes and didnt feel he could promise he would be there that long. In came Dalglish to do the job KK was expected to do - balance the books to keep the shareholders happy.

Read the thread title. ALAN SHEARER. Read it again. ALAN SHEARER contract talks. This thread is not about Kevin Keegan and never was, so for the sake of the sanity of every single supporter on this forum, can we just drop it?

Fucking hell, he came, he left, whether he was forced out, sacked, abandoned us or shagged Ashley's wife, it was a year ago. It happened and can't be changed. So let's just get over it and look to the future.

Happy Days!

Krul

Whose?

Whose name is?

Nacho Gonzalez?

:kinnear:

:lol: I'll miss him :(