Just a general observation..When did this happen?

Guest stjamestoon

Bobby revived us for a few years but the biggest step back ever in NUFC PL history was the summer 1997

Ginola, Beardsley, Les,  Clark &  Elliott all out & later on that season Tino bolted we lost great players, skill & passion like never before.

We brought in: Rush, Barnes,  Pearce, Pistone, Tomasson, Ketsbaia & Paddy Kelly a bunch of has beens, heartless & nothing players...........fairplay we did get Given that summer.

:lol: Paddy Kelly. Fucking hell theres a name you don't see much. What a load of shite signings they were for us. Although tbf Barnes did ok but still

I usually don't like to think about what went wrong or what might have been, but this one keeps me awake at nights.

Only weeks after being given the job at Benfica, Mourinho's mentor, Sir Bobby Robson, offered him the assistant manager's role at Newcastle United. Such was Robson's desperation for Mourinho to join him he offered to step down after two years in charge and hand over the reins to Mourinho. Mourinho turned the offer down, saying he knew Robson would never step down at the club he loved.

What if he'd said yes?  Where would we be now?  :weep:            :harry:

I miss Onyewu. He was shit but he was at least big and intimidating and I liked that. I fondly remember him playing whack-a-mole with the awful Welsh dwarf when we beat Liverpool at SJP that year.

Any Americans want to comment on how he's doing lately?

He's doing well at Standard Leige.  Tall and good with the ball at his feet, does well in the national team as well.  Always had a soft spot for him and wish Big Sam would've made his loan permanent.

Guest Howaythetoon

It started going wrong when we faced this man at St. James' park back in '96

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/01/26/article-1128422-000AAC9E00000258-292_468x310.jpg

It started going wrong when we faced this man at St. James' park back in '96

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/01/26/article-1128422-000AAC9E00000258-292_468x310.jpg

Best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen.  Will forever hate him for it.

Guest Howaythetoon

If we had of won the league that season, we'd have went on to win more honours and no doubt our entire history after that would have changed dramatically. It was the beginning of the end for KK and the era of the entertainers.

I miss Onyewu. He was s*** but he was at least big and intimidating and I liked that. I fondly remember him playing whack-a-mole with the awful Welsh dwarf when we beat Liverpool at SJP that year.

PLEASE NOTE: I KNOW YOU ARE HAVING A FEW RUCKS & DON'T WANT TO JOIN THE HORDES BUT GOOCH INTIMIDATING!!!! Aye, the 6 ft 4 inch yank may have hassled the 5 ft 9 inch hunchback but anyone around 6ft & he played like he was shitting himself.

I miss Onyewu. He was s*** but he was at least big and intimidating and I liked that. I fondly remember him playing whack-a-mole with the awful Welsh dwarf when we beat Liverpool at SJP that year.

PLEASE NOTE: I KNOW YOU ARE HAVING A FEW RUCKS & DON'T WANT TO JOIN THE HORDES BUT GOOCH INTIMIDATING!!!! Aye, the 6 ft 4 inch yank may have hassled the 5 ft 9 inch hunchback but anyone around 6ft & he played like he was shitting himself.

Yup. He's basically a big tart.

We stayed up in spite of Roeder in that 06/07 season; absolutely pathetic manager - worse than Souness imo. You're probably right not to include him though; he merely maintained the shitness. He's not as bad as Kinnear. We've got a better squad than we did then yet we're miles worse.

Roeder has to get an awful lot of credit for getting us to 7th in 05/06.  Won 10 out of 15 games or something like that, took over when we 16th. Not a good manager but no worse than Souness, who'd put put stroking his own ego before us progressing every single time

We pushed ourselves up to seventh because the club was riding on the fact Souness had finally left the club, Shearer got the 201 and Nobby Solano. Roeder employed the simple things with a reasonable squad that wasn't his. As soon as he took the reigns he was shown up to be exactly what he is - a fucking terrible manager. I genuinely think he was worse than Souness - when you add things like squad motivation and the fact no one in the footballing world knew who the fuck he was, or would want to play under him. Souness atleast was a bit of a catch simply because he was known. To this day i don't know how Glenn Roeder convinced Obafemi Martins to come to Newcastle.

Yup. He's basically a big tart.

I do remember him being absolutely shit with us ("Bramble with cornrows," how ironic that statement now sounds,) but I feel like he would be the kind of defender that strikers would hate to have to play against just by being fucking huge and built like a tractor. That's what I meant by "intimidation."

Guest Howaythetoon

There is no physical fear from any forward in England, with the exception of a few foreigners of course, so his size is irrelevant. If anything his size would make most forwards want to get stuck in even more.

There is no physical fear from any forward in England

I lack your psychic powers, so obviously I can't argue with you on that.

with the exception of a few foreigners of course, so his size is irrelevant.

But even I can tell that that's a bit of a contradiction? ???

To this day i don't know how Glenn Roeder convinced Obafemi Martins to come to Newcastle.

Really?  ???

Can't think of one reason?

It rhymes with honey.  :pow:

But it's always raining?

;)