Just a general observation..When did this happen?

Guest stjamestoon

I'm not having any of that tbh mate. Totally disagree. Martins was a good signing - can't argue with that.

Duff was absolutely f***ing terrible, absolutely woeful in his first season - just f***ing s***. And we didn't need him in the first place either; just a total waste of money which we had a stab at cos a player with a reputation was going 'on the cheap'. One of the worst signings of this century, imo.

Rossi was a s**** panic buy who we never used, so it's pretty irrelevant.

Sibierski was an even shiter panic buy. Useful in Europe but he was a pretty God awful player.

Onyewu was a s**** panic buy.

We did however have some central midfielders that could at least pass the ball in Emre and Parker. I wasn't the biggest fan of Parker but he was and is a lot better than what we currently have in central midfield.

I liked Parker and Emre as individuals n'all, tbh... Roeder didn't sign either of them though... :pow:

I'm not having any of that tbh mate. Totally disagree. Martins was a good signing - can't argue with that.

Duff was absolutely f***ing terrible, absolutely woeful in his first season - just f***ing s***. And we didn't need him in the first place either; just a total waste of money which we had a stab at cos a player with a reputation was going 'on the cheap'. One of the worst signings of this century, imo.

Sibierski was an even shiter panic buy. Useful in Europe but he was a pretty God awful player.

We did however have some central midfielders that could at least pass the ball in Emre and Parker. I wasn't the biggest fan of Parker but he was and is a lot better than what we currently have in central midfield.

They were both out for something like half the season though.

Given

Ramage Huntington Taylor Babayaro

Milner Butt Rossi N'Zogbia

Sibierski Martins

We lined up with that team against Chelsea. Chelsea FFS. We only got beat 1-0.

The absolutely shit luck we've had this season just emphasizes how amazingly lucky we were to dodge the bullet that year.

I liked Parker and Emre as individuals n'all, tbh... Roeder didn't sign either of them though... :pow:

I know he didn't sign them but they were part of his squad, you said that squad was worse than the one we have know and quite frankly I disagree.

They were both out for something like half the season though.

Parker played 41 games that season.

I know he didn't sign them but they were part of his squad, you said that squad was worse than the one we have know and quite frankly I disagree.

It surprises me, does that. I think we have a much better squad personally - certainly a far better crop of individuals. (I know some players from 'today's' squad have since departed).

Given, Harper                                                              / Given, Harper

Carr                                                                            / Beye, R Taylor

Taylor, Bramble, Moore, Ramage, Edgar, Huntington / Bassong, Coloccini, S Taylor, Edgar, Cacapa

Babayaro, (Bernard)                                                  / Enrique

Solano, Milner                                                            / Jonas, Geremi

Parker, Emre, Butt, Clark                                           / (Barton), Guthrie, Nolan, Butt

N'Zogbia, Luque, Duff                                                / N'Zogbia, Duff

Martins, Dyer, Sibierski, (Owen), (Ameobi)                / Martins, Owen, (Viduka), Carroll, Lovenkrands, Ameobi, Smith

Given

Carr - Taylor - Bramble - Babayaro

Solano - Parker - Emre - N'Zogbia

Martins - Dyer

Given

Beye - Coloccini - Bassong - Enrique

Jonas - Barton - Guthrie - N'Zogbia

Martins - Owen

The midfield's pretty much on par, i'd concede - but aside from that, i genuinely think we've got the crux of a very good side here, which is simply short on numbers. The centre-mid is wank, agreed, but aside from that - i think it's much better than the squad Roeder amassed, especially in terms of defensive/attacking personnel.

Guess we'll probs just have to agree to disagree on that one really.

I bet the people shitting on Parker won't say anything now. The man was a brilliant player and he got nothing but rubbish from people on here near the end. Look how much we have suffered without a player like him.

My opinion obviously, but whenever I seen him he was great. Would KILL to have him in the team now.

I'd much rather be going into the relegation fight with Solano, Dyer, Emre, Parker but what we have now still should be enough, however, what did those four have that the team now doesn't have (barring a few obvious players)? Quality, and plenty of it.

It surprises me, does that. I think we have a much better squad personally - certainly a far better crop of individuals. (I know some players from 'today's' squad have since departed).

Given, Harper                                                              / Given, Harper

Carr                                                                            / Beye, R Taylor

Taylor, Bramble, Moore, Ramage, Edgar, Huntington / Bassong, Coloccini, S Taylor, Edgar, Cacapa

Babayaro, (Bernard)                                                  / Enrique

Solano, Milner                                                            / Jonas, Geremi

Parker, Emre, Butt, Clark                                           / (Barton), Guthrie, Nolan, Butt

N'Zogbia, Luque, Duff                                                / N'Zogbia, Duff

Martins, Dyer, Sibierski, (Owen), (Ameobi)                / Martins, Owen, (Viduka), Carroll, Lovenkrands, Ameobi, Smith

Given

Carr - Taylor - Bramble - Babayaro

Solano - Parker - Emre - N'Zogbia

Martins - Dyer

Given

Beye - Coloccini - Bassong - Enrique

Jonas - Barton - Guthrie - N'Zogbia

Martins - Owen

The midfield's pretty much on par, i'd concede - but aside from that, i genuinely think we've got the crux of a very good side here, which is simply short on numbers. The centre-mid is w***, agreed, but aside from that - i think it's much better than the squad Roeder amassed, especially in terms of defensive/attacking personnel.

Guess we'll probs just have to agree to disagree on that one really.

Neither of them are great squads but in Solano, Milner, Emre and N'Zogbia we had players that whilst they were not amazing they could create chances, we don't really anywhere near that level of creativity in our squad now which shows just how bad we have become because those 4 I've named were far from amazing that year.

I bet the people shitting on Parker won't say anything now. The man was a brilliant player and he got nothing but rubbish from people on here near the end. Look how much we have suffered without a player like him.

My opinion obviously, but whenever I seen him he was great. Would KILL to have him in the team now.

I'd much rather be going into the relegation fight with Solano, Dyer, Emre, Parker but what we have now still should be enough, however, what did those four have that the team now doesn't have (barring a few obvious players)? Quality, and plenty of it.

Just because we're fucking shit now doesn't mean Parker was a quality player, I wasn't a fan and yes he is better than what we've got now and I would have him in our side right now in a heartbeat but that shows poor management since his departure rather than that Parker is a quality player.

I get the point, but villa haven't exactly had the best in the past..O'Dreary, Ellis and co.

The owner and the manager they have now thats what you need pure and simple and as far as everton are concerned Moyes has worked bloody hard over the last few years to finally have a team who are coming good for a change cos for a few years they have  been pretty piss poor too watch .

Guest dazzanufc1892

I think i can remember the day it all went wrong, and it was the first time i heard alot of fellow toon fans say so. It was man utd at home under souness, when we had ronny johnson playing at cb with bramble. Shearer bellamy up top, and big al ran through their team before tooney just did what rooney does. The game was sloppy all the way through, the team were clearly not a team, the manager was scared to make big decisions, a fellow (at the time) top four team wasnt just beating us, they were teaching us a lesson. The crowd was booing, the away fans were singing louder than ever, with our boys on the pitch seemingly content with keeping it to less than 4. Forst time, since the robson days i sat there and was despondent, it didnt seem right, was so upsetting, and to me it continued from there. I recall wlaking out the ground wiv people saying if this man is here in 2 years, we will be down, as it happens, he was taking us that route, we just never brought in a man to stop that rot.

P.S. couldnt stay away from you boys, its damn good to be back

I think i can remember the day it all went wrong, and it was the first time i heard alot of fellow toon fans say so. It was man utd at home under souness, when we had ronny johnson playing at cb with bramble. Shearer bellamy up top, and big al ran through their team before tooney just did what rooney does. The game was sloppy all the way through, the team were clearly not a team, the manager was scared to make big decisions, a fellow (at the time) top four team wasnt just beating us, they were teaching us a lesson. The crowd was booing, the away fans were singing louder than ever, with our boys on the pitch seemingly content with keeping it to less than 4. Forst time, since the robson days i sat there and was despondent, it didnt seem right, was so upsetting, and to me it continued from there. I recall wlaking out the ground wiv people saying if this man is here in 2 years, we will be down, as it happens, he was taking us that route, we just never brought in a man to stop that rot.

P.S. couldnt stay away from you boys, its damn good to be back

All started going tits up when we lost to Partizan on penalties.

Just because we're f***ing s*** now doesn't mean Parker was a quality player, I wasn't a fan and yes he is better than what we've got now and I would have him in our side right now in a heartbeat but that shows poor management since his departure rather than that Parker is a quality player.

Fair point. I agree with you there actually, but I do think we had a player we could build a team around. He was one of the most solid players we have had in a while and took the captaincy happily and played with his heart always. So many games I seen him and I thought 'why is he even bothering' because the rest of the team were just awful.

I missed N'Zogbia out for some reason. He was another of my favourites, some amount of flair and scared the shit out of many full backs.

Sourness is where is went wrong.

Souness plus the lack of backing from his chairman.

He wants Boa Morte and Anelka to play a 4-3-3 system. What does the chairman do? Piss about with low bids, then blow three times as much on Owen and Luque.

Sourness is where is went wrong.

Souness plus the lack of backing from his chairman.

He wants Boa Morte and Anelka to play a 4-3-3 system. What does the chairman do? Piss about with low bids, then blow three times as much on Owen and Luque.

Bang on. We should have also bought Yakubu that year (and easily afforded him with the money we eventually spent).

The summer of 2003 is the exact point that the tits started to go up for NUFC.

Imo, the seeds were planted in the summer of 2002 when Sir Bobby, instead of strengthening the squad that faded into third, wasted millions on unproven, raw 'talents' who never lived up to their potential in Viana, Bramble and (to a lesser extent) Jenas. That, plus the purchase the one legged Woodgate, left nothing in the kitty for the summer of 2003. Which led to us signing Bowyer on a free and it has been down hill ever since.

Guest firetotheworks

Its been done to death, but I feel things started to slip the summer we only signed Lee Bowyer.