Hillsborough

Guest toonlass

Actually, they've just got to the bit about the Taylor Report, which (I hadn't realised) said as much.  I was more aware of the comments regarding safe seating, etc.

Still though, it's peculiar that people were carrying on last week like it was news that the police were at fault.

Actually, they've just got to the bit about the Taylor Report, which (I hadn't realised) said as much.  I was more aware of the comments regarding safe seating, etc.

Still though, it's peculiar that people were carrying on last week like it was news that the police were at fault.

It's shit how much was known yet nothing was done about it.

I'm pleased for anyone connected with the tragic events at Hillsborough that day, that the incompetence of the police, and the FA mistake of choosing the venue without it having a safety certificate has been highlighted. After all it could have happened to us or any set of fans in the country.

However, my sympathy towards Liverpool fans on the whole is tempered by my memories of the Heysel disaster, only 4 years earlier, when undoubtedly SOME Lfc fans were to blame for the deaths of many Juventus fans. Then more recently Liverpool played a champions league final in Athens, i think, when SOME ticketless fans tried to force their way into the stadium.

I highlight "some" because i don't want to generalise. For most of the fans affected by Hillsborough, their only crime was to innocently try to follow their team that day.

Guest Brazilianbob

I'm pleased for anyone connected with the tragic events at Hillsborough that day, that the incompetence of the police, and the FA mistake of choosing the venue without it having a isafety certificate has been highlighted. After all it could have happened to us or any set of fans in the country.

However, my sympathy towards Liverpool nfans oOn the whole is tempered by my memories of the Heysel disaster, only 4 years earlier, when undoubtedly SOME Lfc fans were to blame for the deaths of many Juventus fans. Then more recently Liverpool played a champions league final in Athens, i think, when SOME ticketless fans tried to force their way into the stadium.

I highlight "some" because, for most of the fans affected by Hillsborough, their only crime was to innocently try to follow their team that day.

There is much emphasis put on the the incompetence of the  police but I would suggest it is only when public disorder rears its ugly head that the failings of the police is evident.

I'm pleased for anyone connected with the tragic events at Hillsborough that day, that the incompetence of the police, and the FA mistake of choosing the venue without it having a isafety certificate has been highlighted. After all it could have happened to us or any set of fans in the country.

However, my sympathy towards Liverpool nfans oOn the whole is tempered by my memories of the Heysel disaster, only 4 years earlier, when undoubtedly SOME Lfc fans were to blame for the deaths of many Juventus fans. Then more recently Liverpool played a champions league final in Athens, i think, when SOME ticketless fans tried to force their way into the stadium.

I highlight "some" because, for most of the fans affected by Hillsborough, their only crime was to innocently try to follow their team that day.

There is much emphasis put on the the incompetence of the  police but I would suggest it is only when public disorder rears its ugly head that the failings of the police is evident.

Even though the BBC video footage shows the fans tending to the dead and injured whilst the police kept 44 ambulances outside, telling the paramedics that the fans were fighting?

What nonsense.

Sports Direct are refusing to print "Justice for the 96" on the back of football shirts, apparently.

Did some manc knacker write "96 not enough" or some shit on the back of his shirt last year? Was that printed at sports direct or JJB? It might be something to do with that? Otherwise if it isn't political or inflammatory I can't understand it ???

I dunno. Just a couple of lads on Twitter saying they were refused it by staff when they went to the shop to get their LFC strips done or something.

Staff said it "might be offensive to others" so refused to.

The Footballers' Football Show on SS1 now is about this - Steve Rotheram MP, Neil Fitzmaurice (Peep Show, The Office, etc.) and Ray Houghton are the guests - they were all there. Repeated @ 0100, 0900 and 1300 tomorrow on various SS channels if anyone wants to watch or record it.

"Dear Supporter,

"The great support you gave the team here last season has seen our allocation back up to near-full levels. I want you to continue that progress today.

"But today is about much more than not blocking gangways. Today is about thinking hard about what makes United the best club in the world.

"Our rivalry with Liverpool is based on a determination to come out on top - a wish to see us crowned the best against a team that held that honour for so long.

"It cannot and should never be based on personal hatred. Just ten days ago, we heard the terrible, damning truth about the deaths of 96 fans who went to watch their team try and reach the FA Cup final and never came back.

"What happened to them should wake the conscience of everyone connected with the game.

"Our great club stands with our great neighbours Liverpool today to remember that loss and pay tribute to their campaign for justice. I know I can count on you to stand with us in the best traditions of the best fans in the game.

"Yours sincerely, Sir Alex Ferguson."

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/661044969.jpg?key=480447&Expires=1348402563&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=bryiREP3ezlh1QbOk6ywaji6QKIgX2~bTd~S8e6TVVxFF5cYisENqrIM3S1k2mCaenJfRNJer~Oz1xXW9a4-kwg-GfXckF9lVMdVeuH10csSZfhtEgne2yoSDukcPCnaGanNyhUEC5nyT4jKJ3x3chO77W5V4D~1Inykl6Ll97k_

Guest Howaythetoon

The whole 'celebration' of justice at Anfield today, for me, was a tad cringeworthy. Black armbands and a token aknowledgement at the start would have sufficed. The justice for the 96 cards, the truth cards, 96 balloons and all the pomp and ceramony beforehand seemed kind of false. I know I'm probably nit-picking and being very critical but I think the whole thing itself didn't need any of that.

• 7 months later...

Anyone catch Panorama on the BBC last night? Was staggering viewing, as in the sheer depth of the cover-up involved over the past 24 years - Police, Politicians, Ambulance Services, CPS and the media. :(

I hope Duckenworth and Norman Bettison are feeling uncomfortable at this present time. Would like to think they have serious jail time coming, but I won't bet on it.

In case anyone missed it;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ied_the_Truth/

• 8 months later...

27 years ago today. This should have stopped Hillsborough ever happening tbh

1987 Tottenham Hotspur (a) 0-1 (0-1)

FA Cup 5th Round

C.Allen(pen)

En route to their Wembley loss at the hands of Coventry City, David Pleat's Spurs side scraped through thanks to a dive from Richard Gough under challenge from Peter Jackson that secured a dubious penalty kick that was converted by Clive Allen.

Two years before the Hillsborough disaster though, United fans were almost the victim of callous policing by the Met in this game.

The Park Lane end containing the travelling support was allowed to become dangerously overcrowded while the adjacent paddocks remained closed and unused.

The first few fans to scale the fences were arrested but gradually more joined in and fought with stewards to open gates on to the pitch. And in an eerie foretaste of the Hillsborough tragedy, seated fans above pulled some of those below to safety and disaster was averted.

The police's reaction was to stretch a line of officers in front of the away section which blotted out any view of the match.

And after the final whistle a vain attempt at holding the United fans back resulted in the gates being forced and running battles taking place along the Seven Sisters Road.

Press reports subsequently estimated the away support between 12,000 and 14,000.