Dowie

Thespence

IAIN Dowie believes the prospect of taking on a long-term project at Newcastle United is a mouthwatering one as he and Alan Shearer first attempt to save the club from relegation.

Although there has been no change in the club’s official stance that Shearer and Dowie are only going to be in charge until the end of the season, when Joe Kinnear will return as manager, there is no doubt the pair would be tempted if their positions are offered to them on a permanent basis in May.

Dowie is careful not to rock the boat in terms of what the future may hold for him as Newcastle’s assistant manager, but he can not hide his excitement when he talks about the challenge of unlocking the club’s potential.

He said: “I’m absolutely loving it here. Alan could have called a number of people up to get them to come up here and work with him and I’m delighted he chose me. It’s a fantastic job and a magnificent club. Don’t get me wrong, I knew that when I came up here before as a manager and as a player, but it’s only when you live and work here that you realise what a special club it is.

“How many people have said before that if you get it right here as a manager, it would be incredible. If we can get a bit of stability in place and a bit of long-term thinking this place will be scary if it gets a bit of success.

“It’s definitely one of the biggest six clubs in the country, without a doubt, and it just needs someone to get it going again.”

Dowie and Shearer have been close ever since they were team-mates at Southampton and, while Newcastle’s former captain would have been expected to turn to other former United players like Rob Lee or Gary Speed when he was offered the manager’s chair, he immediately looked to harness Dowie’s experience and coaching expertise.

And it is a job the former Northern Ireland international is relishing, even if he is still struggling to get Shearer to open his wallet.

He explained: “I don’t have a problem being a number two. I’m enjoying it, I’ve done it before. I’d been a number one for a long time but I work well with Alan. He is a straight talker and I’m a straight talker and that works as a partnership. He gives me a free rein with the coaching, but I

will tell him what we are doing and if he wants more of something we will do it. We then meet up and discuss what we are going to do in the next game and it’s a pretty frank discussion.

“We’ve stayed in contact for years and I’ve been up regularly to see him. Mind you, I’m still waiting for him to get his wallet out. He’s never bought me lunch, not even now I’m working with him and he’s the manager. What is that they say about people with money?”

Dowie has been spending plenty of time with Newcastle’s misfiring strikeforce on the training ground and he is predicting a quick return to goal-scoring form for skipper Michael Owen. Owen has not scored since the 2-2 draw with West Ham on January 10 and, as normal, has taken a few games to regain his match sharpness following an ankle injury picked up against Manchester City later that month.

“You only have to look at Michael Owen’s goal return this season to realise what a top player he is,” said Dowie.

“He is blessed with something I never had and that is a natural goalscorer’s instinct and that doesn’t change.

“He worked ever so hard for the team against Chelsea and at Stoke and you can see he is getting stronger and fitter the whole time.

“It isn’t easy to come back from an injury and it normally takes a couple of games. It is a habit in this country to knock our sporting icons, which Michael has been for more than a decade now, but he will always score goals if we give him the chances.”

Meanwhile, promising teenage striker Nile Ranger has signed a three-year contract at the club, having impressed for the Academy and reserve sides this season.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/04/16/magpies-project-excites-dowie-61634-23396808/2/

Sounds like some people are thinking long term. :thup:

“How many people have said before that if you get it right here as a manager, it would be incredible. If we can get a bit of stability in place and a bit of long-term thinking this place will be scary if it gets a bit of success.

This is so true though, if we won the Carling Cup the city would go mental.  :laugh2:

nothing like running before you can walk eh?

Lets get enough points first before we start biggin the club up.

Hell's teeth. :nope:

Encouraging stuff from Dowie.

he's just spouting platitudes, i know that dude

i just want to see some signs from them that they're fully getting to grips with our current problems before talking about the future - if they turn it around on the pitch then all well and good, 'til then they've got 1 point from 2 games - shut the fuck up 'til that increases significantly

:kinnear: spouted all sorts of shite too, he barely improved a single thing though

harsh but fair imo

i just want to see some signs from them that they're fully getting to grips with our current problems before talking about the future - if they turn it around on the pitch then all well and good, 'til then they've got 1 point from 2 games - shut the f*** up 'til that increases significantly

:kinnear: spouted all sorts of s**** too, he barely improved a single thing though

harsh but fair imo

^

load of bollocks.

thats just my opinion though.

i just want to see some signs from them that they're fully getting to grips with our current problems before talking about the future - if they turn it around on the pitch then all well and good, 'til then they've got 1 point from 2 games - shut the f*** up 'til that increases significantly

:kinnear: spouted all sorts of s**** too, he barely improved a single thing though

harsh but fair imo

^

load of bollocks.

care to expand?  though not

Comparing Michael Owen to himself :lol: Aye you were class Iain - your best remembered goal being an OG n all that.

erm... you realise he said "He is blessed with something I never had" right? Hardly bigging himself up...

Comparing Michael Owen to himself :lol: Aye you were class Iain - your best remembered goal being an OG n all that.

erm... you realise he said "He is blessed with something I never had" right? Hardly bigging himself up...

He was, as he didn't mention his looks.

His sensible comments about Martins' injury shows the level of professionalism of the current managerial setup. Will certainly like him to be 2nd to Shearer if we can keep Shearer for the next season.

harsh but fair imo

^

load of bollocks.

:lol:

at least give me a chance!

in no way can shearer and dowies approcah so far be compared to kinnears.

'simon bird..your a cunt'.

just like our new regime that.

Dowie and Shearer sounds like a really likable pairing IMO. Bet training is a right laugh, but hopefully Shearer's professionalism carrier through.

They seem to be taking the piss out of each other to the media which gives them impression they have a good relationship. Cant be a bad thing

Dowie said: “We make sure the lads are well hydrated, they get regular ice baths, plenty of stretching beforehand and plenty of prehab.

“Alan has made his point –it’s all hands on deck now and we’ve implemented a few changes.

“I’d never be disrespectful and talk about anything that happened before.

“Myself and Alan can’t change that.

“What we can affect is what happens in our time here.

“We’ve got a fantastic response from the lads on the training field

“We’ve had a really good work ethic – we’ve been delighted with the response.

“Rome wasn’t built in a day but we’ve embraced it all.

“There is a sharpness in it.”

harsh but fair imo

^

load of bollocks.

'simon bird..your a cunt'.

i like what they're saying and the off field actions so far also, i'll just buy into it more when they've made noticeable improvements on the pitch and with the teams/formations they're selecting

granted they've not had much time but that was my point at the start!

harsh but fair imo

^

load of bollocks.

'simon bird..your a c***'.

i like what they're saying and the off field actions so far also, i'll just buy into it more when they've made noticeable improvements on the pitch and with the teams/formations they're selecting

granted they've not had much time but that was my point at the start!

O0

fair play