Tottenham Hotspur 1 - 0 Newcastle - 19/04/08 - post match reaction from page 25

Dave

At least we had a bit of a go at the end. We need to keep Viduka and Oba fit as they are pretty much our only chance. Owen definitely needs dropped and Guthrie should be playing (based on the fact he can pass at least 10 yards). Any team with Butt, Ryan Taylor or Nolan in the first team is gonna struggle.

I can't believe anyone still thinks we'll win three home games on the spin.

this. even if we do put the right side out and play well, all it takes is a dodgy referee decision, a mis-timed tackle, a particularly inspired opposition keeper, a slip from a centre-half, a flukey shot etc to fuck us up. we cant afford to drop any points at all in those homes game.

we're basically one shit backpass away from relegation.

We've just watched 90 mins of football and what has Owen done in this whole time?

You can talk about his goal record all you want but I find it alarming that he doesn't even manage to get any attempts on goal.

He either plays behind a front two or not at all.

The difference Martins made up front was crazy. You can talk about how frustrating he is all you want but we had Spurs o the ropes from the moment he came on and that handball against him before he scored was just bollocks. He should have had a goal there.

Martins and Jonas have to be the first two in the team.

Agree. Im a fan of owen, hes proven what he can do in the past & i still want to see that he has that.

But this team is completely incapable of supplying what he needs. If he isnt played behind the front two dont play him.......its just a waste of a man

During that spell where Oba and Viduka were causing havoc, Butt managed to ruin any momentum we were gathering by over hitting passes and gifting it back to Spurs.

Absolutely, he held the entire team back in that spell, he's fucking awful.

Owen should be made to address the Newcastle fans at the last home game and apologise for both his own and the teams performance this season.  Make the twat take some personal responsibility.  How can a player expect to be on the wages he's on as a forward and have the goal scoring record he has, especially when he's the captain?

F*cking hell man. HAS to score.

Owen doesn't even make runs like that anymore..

What's he got to do with it?

He's on the pitch isn't he? (you could be forgiven for saying no by the way)..

Well first half he made an identical run to the Oba one there and a better ball from Jonas would have give him a simple tap in, so your argument is moot really.

Completely incomparable situation man.. Martins ran behind the defense himself, Owen had Jonas do the hard work for him (as he always does nowadays)..

That's Martins' game. He doesn't have the brain to do anything else. It's all instinctive. It comes off or it doesn't. Owen's game is to thrive on service. He didn't get it so obviously he's going to suffer. His link up play on the whole was decent though.

I can't believe anyone still thinks we'll win three home games on the spin.

This is the thing. Although on paper they look very winnable, there is no way in hell a team playing the way we are, with the confidence levels we have, defence suicide we display, simple lack of any creativity in the middle of the park and wasteful up front, that we'll be able to win 3 games in a row at home, we haven't done it all season and I doubt we'll start doing it now. We are well and truely f***ed tbh.

Still too many passengers in the side, Owen, the central midfield, etc.

We looked 10x better as a team when Martins & Viduka came on but the chances of keeping them fit for the last few games is slim.

If we drop any points in those 3 home games we're fucked, winning them all will be a miracle.

Guest neesy111

Harper 5

Beye 6

S. Taylor 5

Bassong 6 (Smith 5)

R. Taylor 2

Nolan 2 (Viduka 6)

Butt 2

Jonas 5

Duff 6

Owen 3

Carroll 2 (Martins 5)

owen better than carroll :idiot2:

Guest kingdawson

Thought we played very well and could/should have won by more. You lot looked quite decent when Martins and Viduka came on.

A brief analysis of some of your players. Beye and especially Bassong are not that great positionally, but some of their recovery tackles were outstanding. R taylor and Nolan were non existant. I usually stick up for Butt but i thought he was terrible today. Kept giving the ball away, and was letting Huddlestone and Palacios murder him. Jonas was decent. Put a lot of effort in, and generally had a decent game (final ball was missing a bit). Alan Smith was a waste of a substitute and Ryan Taylor was pretty bad.

Like the look of Carrol though, even though he didn't do much today.

If we didn't play any of the deadwood, our team would look like this:

Harper

Beye Saylor Colo Bassong

Jonas Guthrie Geremi

Owen

Nile Carroll

This is assuming Martins and Viduka won't be able to start any games; as bad as Geremi and Colo are at least they're footballers.

Guest neesy111

He has to go 4-4-2 Martins Viduka against Pompey. Surely he can see Owen offers nothing.

but he won't drop him ever there best friends

Fucking referee costs us a point yet again. A couple of good spells in the second half, but we're completely toothless in attack most of the time. Nice to finally see the 4-3-3 again, though.

Shearer was a legend as a player no doubt, but everyone here is clouding their judgement if they're saying he isn't responsible today. His formation was pants, as was his starting selection, no Guthrie? what was that all about seems to me Dowie is pulling more strings than Al.

I don't think anyone thinks the tactics weren't s***, so of course Shearer has to take his portion of the blame.

He changed it midway thru the 1st half, didn't make a difference, changed it again in the second with better results.

I am pleased that at least we've a manager who's prepared to change his formation/players when necessary as opposed to one who'll only change things due to injuries.