Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

IMO fitness and athleticism is more important than experience in football, as long as you also have confidence.

Look at the players who have continued to play well into their late 30s... they are the ones who have kept themselves most physically fit, flexible and athletic.

Those comments about his knees hardly fill me with confidence. If he knows they're bad it would be no surprise if they're affecting him already.

IMO fitness and athleticism is more important than experience in football, as long as you also have confidence.

Look at the players who have continued to play well into their late 30s... they are the ones who have kept themselves most physically fit, flexible and athletic.

Doesn't leave much hope for Nolan :lol:

Guest toonlass

http://www.talk-of-the-tyne.co.uk/2011/03/celtic-set-prepare-forster-bid/

Celtic Set Prepare Forster Bid

Mike Jones | Mar 24, 2011 | 0 comments

Celtic are ready to chance their arm with a cut-price £2 million deal to sign Fraser Forster on a permanent basis from Newcastle United.

Hoops boss Neil Lennon was initially told on-loan Forster wasn’t for sale and he would return to St James Park in the summer.

Since then Lennon has learned that Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is in the market for a new No.1 while their current keeper Steve Harper will be kept on as back-up.

The news will come as a blow to Forster, who believed his loan spell at Parkhead would help push him towards the top slot at United. But Lennon is now hoping to use full advantage of the situation to try and strike a deal for the 23-year-old, who has impressed in his short spell with the SPL league leaders.

The deal, however, will sway on Newcastle’s willingness to sell and on the lowering of their £4m asking price.

Lennon has already drawn up a list of other potential goalkeeping targets in case a deal for Forster can’t be agreed with Coventry City’s out-of-contract keeper Kieren Westwood on his radar along with others including PSV Eindhoven shotstopper Anders Isaksson.

Lennon’s own position is still in doubt beyond the end of the season but the Hoops hierarchy are still keen to tie Foster down for longer as they believe he could be a good long-term investment.

The Hoops are also ready to open talks with back-up Lukasz Zaluska over a new deal.The Pole has one year left but Celtic are keen to extend that arrangement.

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/236452/Celtic-hope-to-land-Fraser-Forster-in-cheap-dealCeltic-hope-to-land-Fraser-Forster-in-cheap-deal#ixzz1HX72zYpF

If any of that article is true then it would be one of the worst decisions in recent memory, and that's saying something. We should be holding onto both Krul and Forster for the forseeable future.

Whether we buy a short-term number one if we don't rate Harper and think the other 2 aren't ready I don't know, but long-term Forster and Krul should be the answer.

Imho he sat on his fat arse for many years picking up a comfortable wage under no pressure waiting for the odd game when Given was injured or rested. When he played we all saw a good keeper but he had fuck all ambition to be any better than a bench warmer so if you stick up for him i will argue there is a keeper we should get shot at the end of the season from the first team squad .

Imho he sat on his fat arse for many years picking up a comfortable wage under no pressure waiting for the odd game when Given was injured or rested. When he played we all saw a good keeper but he had fuck all ambition to be any better than a bench warmer so if you stick up for him i will argue there is a keeper we should get shot at the end of the season from the first team squad .

I never understand this view point unless you are his wife. Him not buggering off saved us time and money trying to find an adequate replacement.

Its also fairly well known hes been on top wages for a long time as the club wanted him to stay and not move elsewhere. Considering the excellent stoppers we've had in the last 15 years, I reckon the goalkeeping management at this club has been fairly decent and far more clued up than people on here. If they thought he was worth his wages then he was obviously a top goalie.

Having said that, after almost a full season in the prem, he doesn't look anything near what given was :(

Imho he sat on his fat arse for many years picking up a comfortable wage under no pressure waiting for the odd game when Given was injured or rested. When he played we all saw a good keeper but he had f*** all ambition to be any better than a bench warmer so if you stick up for him i will argue there is a keeper we should get shot at the end of the season from the first team squad .

I never understand this view point unless you are his wife. Him not buggering off saved us time and money trying to find an adequate replacement.

If he had left us 10 years ago imho he would have been Englands no1 keeper playing regular first team football and i dont doubt his talent but now he is finished at this level ,taking a punt on the other 2 is a risk but we have to start trusting the talent we have or we will lose them waiting for the Slough to pack in .

I think Forster will be our new no 1 next season. And maybe that has been the club's plan all the way since Given left? If I have huge faith in a keeper, the last thing I will do is to put him as no 2 (like Krul) because that will deny him valuable game time. The most logical thing is to loan him out so he can gain as much experience as possible. Forster now has two full seasons under his belt, and he's done well too. I will be quite surprise if he's sold this summer.

Guest toonlass

While he did ok today, it bloody annoyed me when he punched that ball away when he was under no pressure. Just catch the damn thing. The way our luck goes I wouldn't have been surprised to see that land at a Wolves player's feet and them have a simple goal. Why put yourself under more pressure than necessary?

I think Harper is a decent enough keeper, I just wish he would do something other than hoof the ball up the field Every Fucking Time he gets it.  There were times yesterday when he could have set off a quick break and instead he waited for 15 seconds, let everyone get back into position and then launched one.

• 1 month later...