Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

harper has always and always will be a second choice keeper in premier. although jury is very much out on krul

I will really really really hate Pardew if he puts Harper back in against Man City  :rant:

Will laugh my cock off at both Harper and Given being on the benches, with young'uns playing in goal  :mackems:

And you'll continue to tell lies about the situation, we're all tired of it.

Here, wankstain, what the fuck u on about, tell lies about what fucking situation?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

harper has always and always will be a second choice keeper in premier. although jury is very much out on krul

I will really really really hate Pardew if he puts Harper back in against Man City  :rant:

Will laugh my cock off at both Harper and Given being on the benches, with young'uns playing in goal  :mackems:

And you'll continue to tell lies about the situation, we're all tired of it.

Here, wankstain, what the f*** u on about, tell lies about what f***ing situation?

Easy, tiger.

Until Krul has two shit games in a row its pointless to replace him.

In the end I think they're equally good right now to that extent that Krul lacks experience. He's young but if we want to develop a top goalie he needs to play and gain experience. But of course if he does have two or three shit games in a row it might be debatable to put Harper back in and see what he can do.

But Krul has done very well so far, nothing spectacular but also nothing bad.

Sell him in the winter window and bring back Forster to fight Krul for No1 spot.

He's not needed here, he might as well move on.

That's actually not a dumb idea at all.

Having Forster, Krul and Söderberg fighting it out for the three spots would be very nice and valuable for all three.

I'd try and sell him to Celtic if we brought back Forster, if Celtic couldn't afford him and we got no offers i'd let him go for free making sure he blocks any potential loan move Given might have his eyes on.

Really though Harper is done here, Krul can do 95% of what he can do, whereas he can't manage 50% of what Krul can.

I agree. I mean all goalies need experience to develop. Krul won't be at his peak until he's at least 27 or 28. But many seasons in the Premiership will do him wonders. He has shown he's a very good shot stopper, I see his main problem being the balls in the air and commanding his back four, but that comes with experience.

I haven't watched Forster to say anything, but I agree with every word of what you said. I think Harper needs to leave, I don't know his wages or anything but think they're around the £25k mark, which is a lot for a goalie who not near as good as Krul or Forster like you seem to think.

I'd stick with Krul. He'll make mistakes but he'll get better. Harper will make mistakes and won't get better.

If Forster wants to come back in summer then that would be the right time to move Harper on. But Forster seems quite happy up there and we may have trouble convincing him to come down here to sit on the bench.

I'd try and sell him to Celtic if we brought back Forster, if Celtic couldn't afford him and we got no offers i'd let him go for free making sure he blocks any potential loan move Given might have his eyes on.

Really though Harper is done here, Krul can do 95% of what he can do, whereas he can't manage 50% of what Krul can.

The problem is, keeping is about what you should and shouldn't do, not what you can and can't.

Keepers are incredibly unique and you can't really apply to same rules to them as you would for outfield players. It really comes down to who we have more confidence in keeping clean sheets in what remains of 2010-11.

From a purely business point of view, we have 3 premier league quality keepers and we only need 2. I'll be shocked if we have all 3 at the start of next season. Krul and Forster would receive the highest amount of money on the market, so i'd be looking to see which one would raise more, then invest the funds into other parts of the team.

The problem is, keeping is about what you should and shouldn't do, not what you can and can't.

Keepers are incredibly unique and you can't really apply to same rules to them as you would for outfield players. It really comes down to who we have more confidence in keeping clean sheets in what remains of 2010-11.

Agreed.  If you applied the same rules, they wouldn't be allowed to use their hands which would make their job a lot harder.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Krul's distribution is a million times better than both Harper and Forster, like. Its so nice having a keeper who can kick well following all those years of Given getting the ball passed back to him and just kicking it straight out of play. Harper's kicking is not great either, and neither is Forster's (see Glasgow derby).

Krul's distribution is a million times better than both Harper and Forster, like. Its so nice having a keeper who can kick well following all those years of Given getting the ball passed back to him and just kicking it straight out of play. Harper's kicking is not great either, and neither is Forster's (see Glasgow derby).

Eh, Krul's kicking is well dodgy. :lol:

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Eh, Krul's kicking is well dodgy. :lol:

I disagree, he's the most consistently decent kicker we've had, and he can kick it about 8,000 miles. I honestly can't recall a game that I've been to this season where I've been critical of his kicking whereas Harper's kicking from his hands and from the deck is extremely patchy, and Given's was totally awful