Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

Shame for Steve Harper after his long wait to get the first-team jersey ; he's a good keeper, under-rated by many and its no coincidence that we have done OK with him between the sticks.

Krul DOES need experience though and his uncertainty with crosses etc will hopefully be improved by his coming stint in the side.

Wish Harper all the best...

The way I see it Krul needs experience which Harper already has and Krul can only get better which Harper cannot. No brainer!

True, except in football you also have to think of the short term.

Can't really afford to give Krul experience if it meant losing another 5 games. I don't think it will, but hypothetically.

We decided between myself, the club doctor and Shay Given that Andrew Wallace, the Australian doctor in London, was the best option.

Interesting.

No surprises there really. Shay & Harps are good buddies, they will watch for each other backs.

I think Tim has shown enough when he has played that he will be able to cope, the more he plays the less excited he will be the less he will try to come and claim everything.

Mind he does control his area better than Harper does, so may times should

come and does not and then when he does he tends not to get to the ball.

I have faith in Krul and I think this chance will do him and us the world of good.

I wish everyone would stop blaming Krul for the first goal. He did make an error rushing out and flattening Sol, but Smith's poor pass and Ranger getting caught in possession was the reason for it. The shot itself was deflected and he was unsighted, there wasn't much he could really do different.

I wish everyone would stop blaming Krul for the first goal. He did make an error rushing out and flattening Sol, but Smith's poor pass and Ranger getting caught in possession was the reason for it. The shot itself was deflected and he was unsighted, there wasn't much he could really do different.

TRUTH!

:thup:

Some people complain that Harper never leaves his line, some people complain when Krul leaves his line.  The keeper has the toughest job in the team as he gets stick for the slightest mistake.

Guest JamesyJazz

We need Shay Given.

B*llocks,Krul will do the job just fine.

Our midfield are performing well at breaking up the opp play and adding another layer of protection,look at the Everton game, our defence is much stronger and playing/moving as a unit with better understanding than in previous seasons.

Krul gave us all a preview of what he is capable of while deputising between the sticks that night over in Italy.He was outstanding that game,nobody can argue against that.

Yes he has to learn and to iron out any impetuous impulses he may have concerning 50/50 crosses but surely with a decent shout and mentoring from the main CB this can be avoided.

Given was good,very good but he(imo)jumped ship when we needed him most.Then again the relagation galvanised the remaining squad and installed the obvious 'all together,play for the shirt'attitude that was severely lacking in the squad before going down.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

We need Shay Given.

B*llocks,Krul will do the job just fine.

Our midfield are performing well at breaking up the opp play and adding another layer of protection,look at the Everton game, our defence is much stronger and playing/moving as a unit with better understanding than in previous seasons.

Krul gave us all a preview of what he is capable of while deputising between the sticks that night over in Italy.He was outstanding that game,nobody can argue against that.

Yes he has to learn and to iron out any impetuous impulses he may have concerning 50/50 crosses but surely with a decent shout and mentoring from the main CB this can be avoided.

Given was good,very good but he(imo)jumped ship when we needed him most.Then again the relagation galvanised the remaining squad and installed the obvious 'all together,play for the shirt'attitude that was severely lacking in the squad before going down.

Totally agree and there are a few teams in the premiership that need to re-gain that quality.

We decided between myself, the club doctor and Shay Given that Andrew Wallace, the Australian doctor in London, was the best option.

Interesting.

when i 1st read that on nufc.co.uk i read it as "decided between myself and the club doctor Shay Given " ;D

Just read the article on .com, the guy is a great servant to the club. We all know he is not the greatest keeper around but he is a very good one and seems a great person too. Saying things like I'm 36 and you'll get a chance soon to Krul is being a great pro. He knows he can't go on forever, Krul seems to have some real quality about him and wants to play 1st team football. I hope he recovers quickly.

I am hoping Krul has the quality that we think he has and this is a perfect challenge for him. He comes through this and he should be our number 1 for years unless one of the big 4/5 etc grab him from us.

Get well soon Harps

I had a dream that Harper declared himself fit for the Stoke game, started and kept a clean sheet making several good saves and I was well pissed as my main rival in my office FF had Harper in goal.

Even your dreams are square.

I know in the Press Conference Hughton said Harper will get his place back in 3 months when he's fit, but if Krul's been playing well it would send completely the wrong message to him if he loses his place.

:thup:

I don't expect it will be an issue personally, as I expect Krul will make a few mistakes while he's in the team, but if Krul does happen to look class it would be a terrible move from Hughton to ditch him for Harper based on nothing other than seniority.

• 1 month later...