Should Owen be dropped?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

And what goes through your mind at that moment? I don't need this; I've got my horses and my family and enough money to live well for ever.

I like way she thinks Michael Owen prioritises: horses, family, money.

I can see why Shearer took a chance on him tonight, he probably thought that he needed someone to take chances that would be laid on for him, but that never actually happened.  Against much better organized Fulham and Villa defenses though, we're going to have to have a lot more pace, skill, and heading ability, none of which Owen really has.  It's just a shame that our other 3 strikers can only do one of the above things. 

Viduka has skill and heading ability

Martins has pace and heading ability

Martins is obviously carrying an injury and can't possibly start. Owen and Viduka are still our best options to start tomorrow imo, with the pace and running of Martins and Lovenkrands a threat from off the bench. And I think Owen will score tomorrow.

I was right, heard he got a couple in training this morning.  :-[

Steven Taylor was on SSN this morning and I agreed with him when he said Owen needs the service, and that he is valuable because he rarely loses the ball.

True, but only because he rarely gets the ball. I don't have stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if Martins didn't touch the ball twice as often in the last 20 minutes against Boro, as Owen did in the previous 70.

I like the idea of starting Owen and Viduka with Oba as the impact sub.

Makes sense, when you think about it.

We'll basically be playing for 60 minutes with ten men, then when we throw Oba the opposition won't know what hit them.

I can't see Owen scoring tomorrow, Fulham are too well organised, but Martins isn't fit enough to be effective from the start. Owen will at least keep them occupied. As an alternative I honestly think there's a case for starting Carroll alongside Viduka tomorrow, just to cause Fulham some problems.

I'd start Lovenkrands up front, personally.

I think his movement and general nippiness would prove effective alongside Viduka.

Good shout. One thing is clear though, Loven should only be considered as an out and out striker. Every attempt to play him wide has backfired and he's much more effective through the middle.

Aye, I'd pretty much keep the same team otherwise.

Guthrie's no winger but at least the lad can actually cross the ball so he has to be on the pitch, and while Jonas has been poor of late there's really no other option with Duff filling in so well at LB recently. At least he gets involved, even if there's no end product. Lovenkrands basically disappears from the game when out wide.

Doubtless Owen will start though, hopefully we can give him the "service he needs".

Lovenkrands when he was on the pitch did next to nothing but get on the end of that cross, or was it me that only saw this?

I actually was sitting there for what seemed like a long time trying to work out who we replaced Jonas with.

Lovenkrands when he was on the pitch did next to nothing but get on the end of that cross, or was it me that only saw this?

I actually was sitting there for what seemed like a long time trying to work out who we replaced Jonas with.

Carried the ball forward through the middle a few times. I thought he did very well, and would agree with starting him alongside Viduka against Fulham.

agree, people critical of owens all round game and contribution want to watch mcloven, he doesn't exist

he is, however, getting on the end of stuff now and owen isn't - maybe mcloven stole his mojo?

agree, people critical of owens all round game and contribution want to watch mcloven, he doesn't exist

he is, however, getting on the end of stuff now and owen isn't - maybe mcloven stole his mojo?

wasnt it mcloven who made the pass to nolan (who then passed back) for the 3-0 goal?

wasnt it mcloven who made the pass to nolan (who then passed back) for the 3-0 goal?

no idea, generally speaking he's rarely involed in play...not slating the guy by any means just saying he's doesn't mix it up much - noticed this especially on the wing rather than up front

Carried the ball forward through the middle a few times. I thought he did very well, and would agree with starting him alongside Viduka against Fulham.

Lovenkrands doesn't stand out much when you watch the game, but after seeing it again on the telly he seemed to be involved quite a lot. Played better than people are giving him credit for, but I'm not convinced how much impact he'd have over 90 mins. He did well when he started against WBA I recall.

I would start with Owen again for this one, in fact, I would keep the smae starting 11 and probably make the same subs as Monday night. No need to change it IMO, and nice to be able to field an unchanged 11 for the first time in about 100 years.

I would start with Owen again for this one, in fact, I would keep the smae starting 11 and probably make the same subs as Monday night. No need to change it IMO, and nice to be able to field an unchanged 11 for the first time in about 100 years.

i might consider the reverse of mcloven and owen to be honest, put the pressure on mcloven to respond and if he fails owen might be more relaxed as a sub

or care less 'cause he's sub :lol:

why change the team? it worked well and i dont think owen was as bad as people were making out, the one decent ball in to him it took a great save to stop him scoring a header, the only player i would consider dropping would b guttierez if enrique is back and move duff up the field

why change the team? it worked well and i dont think owen was as bad as people were making out, the one decent ball in to him it took a great save to stop him scoring a header, the only player i would consider dropping would b guttierez if enrique is back and move duff up the field

while i agree owen wasn't that bad where do we lose by starting mcloven with a view to subbing him for owen if we're not winning, as opposed to the reverse of this scenario given mcloven will probably be confident and owen obviously isn't

Owen needs to start. If he's gone in the summer, this is probably his last chance to get a goal, something which will no doubt see him, his fans and the pundits in the media proclaim him to still be a top class forward.

Martins' groin could see him out for the rest of the season if we're unlucky, so keeping him on the bench and using him only when necessary is important. Lovenkrands would make a better impact sub as his pace could hurt a team later on in the game when they're bound to get a few tired legs after 70+ minutes, particularly at this point in the season after 40+ games for some of the Fulham players.

Owen needs to start. If he's gone in the summer, this is probably his last chance to get a goal, something which will no doubt see him, his fans and the pundits in the media proclaim him to still be a top class forward.

Martins' groin could see him out for the rest of the season if we're unlucky, so keeping him on the bench and using him only when necessary is important. Lovenkrands would make a better impact sub as his pace could hurt a team later on in the game when they're bound to get a few tired legs after 70+ minutes, particularly at this point in the season after 40+ games for some of the Fulham players.

dude this post is baffling, are you saying owen should start for the benefit of owen?

I suppose the logic is Owen has a point to prove and whilst his reasoning might not be to our benefit (ie securing a move away, proving us wrong, etc), the fact that it could fire him up and make him want to play well will do.

If Lovenkrands is to start, I'd personally pick him ahead of either Jonas, or one of Butt/Nolan/Guthrie, with Loven on the left, and Jonas on the right.

Lovenkrands is on record as saying he doesn't like playing out wide, Sottish fans and commentators have confirmed he's better played up front, and we've seen confirmation with our own eyes that he's ineffective out wide. So why keep flogging a dead horse in trying that one again?