Liverpool 3 - 0 Newcastle United - 03/05/09 - post match reaction from page 17

Dave

Gerrard not having the hardest of games is he? "Ok so if they stand in front of me I will take it to my right and they won't move, at all, no matter how many times I do it and I will be in about 10 yards of space 20 yards (max) from goal".

both Liverpool goals were illegal btw.

What was wrong with the second?

One of the Liverpool defenders was holding Beye.

Beye was just shit, didn't track his man, nothing illegal about it at all.

Guest LucaAltieri

Ah right. Couldn't tell from the replay. I missed the second goal due to my 'TV' freezing.

Bet we won't be having the foul pointed out to us again by any of the analysis.

What's wrong with the second one? The first was a clear offside, of course.

Watch the replay, there's a Liverpool defender who grabs Beye round the waist to stop him challenging Kuyt for the header.

I honestly don't know what Shearer can say to them at half time, bollock them and this bunch of spineless crap will buckle still further, encouraging them is a waste of time as they obviously haven't responded in any shape or form in the past.

Sorry excuse for a squad of players IMO.

Worrying thing is that you wonder how many of them are looking at their inevitable sale if we go down and how that would affect their career as opposed to staying up and scrapping around the relegation zone with this bunch of no-hopers again.

The full backs aren't getting enough protection from Loven and Martins. Daft idea to go 4-3-3 in this game for me, Liverpool have far too much space down the flanks.

good point, 4-4-2 martins and viduka upfront?

There was a block on Beye, but you never get those decisions. First goal was clearly offside though. Having said that Lpool aren't even having to try to win this at a canter.

I don't think Beye was the best match-up for Kuyt. Kuyt is quite energetic and nimble whereas Beye is fairly slow off the mark.

A daft question perhaps but would anyone take a 2-0 defeat?

We are 3 points behind Hull and could be 6 points behind tomorrow if it goes pear shaped but there's more chance of getting a BJ from the Queen than anything from this game today!

Ask yourself...does that sound like Beye? Watch it again when the ball is delivered (not when Kuyt actually heads the ball in).

Sky Sports have told Phil Dowd that Benayoun was off-side for their first.  Won't make any difference to us, but should a team have a greivance about that, if the ref goes out for the second half thinking he's wrongly given a goal against one of the teams?

Guest LucaAltieri

We need to be playing it through the middle with Martins, Viduka, and McLoven all playing very close together. Ball played into Viduka's feet so he can knock it on for one of the runners.

As it stands, with Martins and Lovenkrands out wide, they are very isolated and are getting doubled up on by liverpool defenders. They have no support and aren't good/strong enough to find a way through on their own. They need to play closer to viduka for support and Viduka needs to be dropping a little deeper to pick the ball up from our midfield (well, Barton) because as it stands our forward line are only picking up long balls or counter attacks while still in our own half.

Guest geordienorway

The notification about the new reply before you post is so frustrating. Is it possible to turn it off?

It's all in your personal settings. I've done it for you, plus a couple of other tweaks. ;)

Cheers Dave :thup:

Sky Sports have told Phil Dowd that Benayoun was off-side for their first.  Won't make any difference to us, but should a team have a greivance about that, if the ref goes out for the second half thinking he's wrongly given a goal against one of the teams?

Can't see him giving a flying fuck tbh.

yeah that sounds a bit dodgy. but if it helps us then great.

i dont think it was totally clear cut anyway, the ball is played forward and part of him is offside, is the 'daylight' rule still used?

Guest mikefin

shocking shocking defending that's all I can say about this performance and timid as well

Colo has been complete and utter crap again.  That 2nd goal he was literally hiding at the near post behind a Liverpool player while Butt covered the Liverpool player (Butt was between the Liverpool player and the ball, whilst Colo was in the 1ft of space between the Liverpool player and the near post.)  This left Kuyt competely unmarked in the middle of the box.

It was Beye who left Kuyt unmarked. Not saying Coloccini is playing well,  he is not, but that goal wasnt his fault. Beye, Coloccini and Bassong have been laughable. Just as Smith and Butt in front of them.