Newcastle vs Middlesbrough pre-match thread - 11/05/09 (live on Setanta 8pm)

Dave

Harper

S Taylor Beye Bassong Duff

Smith Butt

Guthrie Jonas Martins

Viduka

Please. Stuck with the formation that looked alright for the first 15mins today, but Lovenkrands looked off the pace and I don't want Owen back in. Hopefully Taylor will be back.

2-0.

Guest Albert Square

Seeing as we ALWAYS draw this fixture, it will either be 0-0, 1-1 or 2-2.

Guest firetotheworks

Harper

Beye Colo Bassong Duff

Smith Butt Jonas

Martins Viduka Owen

Is what I reckon it'll be,

I'd prefer Guthrie in there though.

My heart says 2-1, my head says 1-1.

I just cant imagine us winning.

I'd go back to the 4-3-3 and bring Owen back.

Harper

Beye Colo Bassong Duff

Guthrie Butt Jonas

Owen

Viduka            Martins

Guest palnese

Harper

S Taylor Beye Bassong Duff

Smith Butt

Jonas Guthrie Martins

Viduka

Please. Stuck with the formation that looked alright for the first 15mins today, but Lovenkrands looked off the pace and I don't want Owen back in. Hopefully Taylor will be back.

2-0.

would like to see Guthrie in that offensive role. He is calm on the ball and fairly creative. Also has a decent shot. I would go for that.

I know it's become a massive cliché but Ranger really should be on the bench for this. As others have said, we need to be able to throw someone different on for the last 20mins if we're in bother. Fuck the likes of Nolan and Ameobi, get someone with a bit of youthful exuberance in there.

Staying in this league is actually a lot easier for us than it should be.  Beat Boro, get a draw in one of the other two and that should do it.  4 f***ing points, we shouldn't be able to survive with that but we would.  Realistically, that is all it would take.  Hell, 3 points might even do it.  That might be a record low of some sort.

And the truly astonishing thing is that we are so comprehensively s*** as a team that we won't even manage that.  This team is so f***ing awful.  Much, much better teams than us have fought much harder, earned far more points and gone down anyway.  And these players are letting it happen without so much as a whimper.  It really is disgusting how gutless they are. 

Shearer has changed the system for every match now so IMO he will change again from the Liverpool game.

I really hope we will be playing the 4-3-3 system again but I'd like to see Geremi involved again. I think he was one of the main reasons alongside the 3 strikers (Owen, Oba and Viduka) that we managed to stay up eventually.

I'd go back to the 4-3-3 and bring Owen back.

Harper

Beye Colo Bassong Duff

Guthrie Butt Jonas

Owen

Viduka            Martins

That's correct for me.

Guest LucaAltieri

I think we should go back to the Viduka, Martins & Owen. You've got to imagine that in the law of averages that one of them is bound to score sometime soon.

Agree.

And with all 3 of them on the pitch against Pompey we managed to create 3 clear-cut chances.

Seeing as we ALWAYS draw this fixture, it will either be 0-0, 1-1 or 2-2.

Hopefully the fact that both teams absolutely have to win will stop it from being a draw this time around.

I think we should go back to the Viduka, Martins & Owen. You've got to imagine that in the law of averages that one of them is bound to score sometime soon.

Agree.

And with all 3 of them on the pitch against Pompey we managed to create 3 clear-cut chances.

Sacrificing one of them for someone who can link up the chasm that exists between defence and attack could may create more [arguably better] chances. I'd either drop one to midfield [as our creativity in midfield is shite] or stick Loven on a wing.

I am thinking maybe going back to 4-4-2 for this one.

GK. Harper

RB. Beye

LB. Duff

CB. Taylor (If Fit)

CB. Bassong

RM. Smith

CM. Butt

CM. Guthrie

LM. Jonas

CF. Martins

CF. Viduka

RM was a difficult choice, Taylor has been dogpoo, Geremi has a lack of pace and games and while Smith has been better than in the past for us it is hardly an endorsement, the other option is Lovenkrands on the left with Jonas right but Loven did look sluggish today and maybe a good impact player to bring on anyway. At the moment I think Colo's confidence is shot moreso than most so I would spare him for such and important game. A fully functioning Colo always plays ahead of Taylor for me but I think Taylor would offer us more given the situation.

If we beat Boro I think we'll stay up. Even if it's a scrappy win, a bit of the confidence will come back and would help come the Fulham game.

Agreed, Sunderland will be lucky to get another point, 3 tough games that they will be big underdogs for. If Hull get something at Villa or beat Stoke then I will be less confident, but the run-in we have is a gift compared to the others. No excuses, we should stay up and can't have any complains if we go down. If Pompey wasn't a must win, then this is. Win or bust I'm afraid.

Guest DarkSchneider

Harper

Beye  Colo Bassong  Duff

Geremi Guthrie(Nolan) Smith Jonas

Martins Viduka

We need Geremi's crosses and maybe free kicks. Duff and Jonas could combine something down the left. No Butt please.