Michael Owen - Would you be disappointed if he stayed?

Liam Liam Liam O
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He had a good header saved last night and I can remember him forcing Huth in to conceding a corner.

If we stay up I wonder if Shearer would offer his friend a new contract? I wonder if Owen wants to stay? It depends on what other offers he gets (if any).

When Shearer's injuries removed his pace he adapted his game. This isn't as easy for Owen because Shearer has a more physical presence compared to Owen. He isn't worth half of what we pay him a week now. He is a luxury player who we can't afford.

Guest stan

If he takes a massive wage cut i wouldn't be disappointed. He's a high profile player who will attract other players to the club. Not defending him btw, he is absolute garbage

that's what i want to say

I hate Owen and I don't think he gives a flying pigeon crap about this club but if Shearer were to stay and was able to bring some creative players into the midfield to help him out then I don't think I'd mind Owen staying so much. Providing we stay up of course I think that if we can get this season out the way and everybody has a clean slate then he may rediscover his form.

He's a cancer in the dressing room. Hopefully next season the squad will be a Scouse-free zone.

just thinking about your comment has got me to realise our squad is full of crap scouse shit

R.Taylor,Nolan,Owen,Guthrie,Barton get rid of these bin dippers

He looks shot to pieces mentally at the moment... no confidence, no desire and no fight left in him.

I don't think it's mental, Owen has always had plenty of self-belief. He is shot to pieces, but physically rather than mentally.

You're probably right, he just looked really down to me. Maybe he is finding it hard that his body can't do what he wants it to anymore.

Owen questions drop decision - Magpies ace unhappy at being left out

Newcastle striker Michael Owen has questioned Alan Shearer's decision to leave him out against Liverpool last week.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5316526,00.html

How about if you start playing at some decent level to deserve your permission to question things!!! :tickedoff:

What's he meant to say, that he's crap?

Guest neesy111

Newcastle striker Michael Owen has questioned Alan Shearer's decision to leave him out against Liverpool last week.

How about if you start playing at some decent level to deserve your permission to question things!!! :tickedoff:

he shouldn't even be questioning the decision, it's that kind of attitude that shearer's had to get rid from the dressing room

if you don't like it michael then fuck off because on current form m8, the best club your gonna get is celtic or somewhere like wigan

I watched the full game last night when I returned from work. I read people's comments about him, so I came in with low expectations. He did not however do as bad as I thought from reading the comments. They were over the top as ever. He got a nice header in made some decent runs and harried and hassled a few times and there's a shot of him celebrating after Taylor's equaliser and the joy in his face is there for all to see and puts doubts against the accusations that he doesn't care. Compare that with the stone faced Colocini when Martins runs over to the bench.

I'm not saying he played particuarily well, because he didn't, he just wasn't the disaster you drama queens made him out to be.

In terms of the question, I would be disappointed if he came back, I think it's time to move on, I'm sure wherever he lines up he'll be a hit again and score against us but Owen and NUFC just doesn't work, in truth it never did. The only thing that would make me change my mind is if he accepted a contract of sub 40k a week, which he's never going to do, not at Newcastle anyway.

It's kind of ironic he's got little to no chance of getting anything like the 80k contract he turned down earlier in the season. Unless Man City are just stupid of course.

he shouldn't even be questioning the decision, it's that kind of attitude that shearer's had to get rid from the dressing room

if you don't like it michael then f*** off because on current form m8, the best club your gonna get is celtic or somewhere like wigan

I thought managers liked it when players aren't happy to be dropped.  Really don't see the problem, people are way too sensitive when it comes to Owen.  He's a player who's lost ability and i think there's nothing more to it.

Guest saintscoobz

hes never really wanted to be here anyway.  Would be gutted if he stays and keeps martins out of the starting line up next season

Guest MrSundlofer

It's a shame he is the club captain. He should talk, talk, talk and talk now when the club is in the bottom. Talk to the official homepage and to the fans. Nothing. He's just the club captain to get more confidence.

Wouldn't be said if he left. And he probably will. But I think he still can do a job here (with confidence).

I don't want Owen here next season unless he changes his desire that Newcastle pay him more than Everton or Celtic will. That said, I'm pleased Shearer has given him his public backing, and will probably start him on Saturday. There are still two games to go and he's capable of scoring a crucial goal for sure.

He looks shot to pieces mentally at the moment... no confidence, no desire and no fight left in him.

I don't think it's mental, Owen has always had plenty of self-belief. He is shot to pieces, but physically rather than mentally.

You're probably right, he just looked really down to me. Maybe he is finding it hard that his body can't do what he wants it to anymore.

I feel his pain, at 38 I still have the footballing brain of Lionel Messi but the body of Lionel Blair!!  :-[

Guest neesy111

Did anyone read the online chat thingy yesterday on the Chronicle website with Lee Ryder? He said that all requests to interview Owen are being rejected via his agent.

you know why, cos he wants $$$$ for them, which he'll get from magazine's like 442 for them, also they allow him to promote his global brands i.e. allen stanford (who stands to be getting life in prison for fraud) haha

Owen's no slower or less mobile then he was at the end of last season or the start of this one when he scored plenty of goals.

We play a different game to what we did last season. Yes, i know - we're shit now - but Shearer isn't going to play Michael Owen in midfield. I think that much is clear. And, imo, Owen doesn't have enough unique qualities to attempt to build a team around him again, like Keegan did.

Get rid of him. I've been back and forth with the guy, but with the benefit of hindsight, he's clearly far more hassle than his worth.

Whens the last time Owen commented on his future though? He clarely doesn't want to talk about it. The boot has firmly changed around now though. Before a lot of people would have loved him to stay, now a lot of people are looking at his contribution on the pitch and would rather he would leave for nowt he's playing that bad.

I definitely wouldn't build a team around him and I'd only keep him if he took a wage half what it is now.  I just disagree with people who are saying he's finished physically and that's why he's not scoring goals.  He's been in his current physical state for years but he's always scored goals until now.

I definitely wouldn't build a team around him and I'd only keep him if he took a wage half what it is now.  I just disagree with people who are saying he's finished physically and that's why he's not scoring goals.

Fair enough. :thup:

However (and i wish Baggio was still around, so i could eat some humble pie infront of him), his reliance on pace has certainly scuppered a lot of chances he used to make for himself - given that he's lost a good yard. I used to think he must be a really intelligent player, such was his superb adaptation to the ACM role last season*, but i mean... what's he done to adapt his game this season? ??? Granted he's been playing amidst a total lack of service, but he's trying to play the role he was doing at the turn of the century. He hasn't changed his game at all, when he's seriously needed to.

Although, in fairness, a lot of that is down to tactics and whatnot. But still. It all centres around the general idea that i just don't think his heart is in it.