Bassong: 'I want to leave for my career and my future'

Dave

He's been offered a new deal at 25k a week.

Where's this from fella?

Lad on Skunkers who lives in the same building as him. Been chatting to his missus while Seb's away with Cameroon.

Cheers. :thup:

I'd say that's a very decent offer for a young player in the Championship. Problem is obviously what others will offer him (and for him).

Another problem is if it's true that Steve taylor is on 40k/week then Bassong might be looking for at least that. Not to mention that Coloccini is on probably quite a lot more.

Taylor for all his faults has far more experience in the big league and what Coloccini is on is irrelevant for a number of obvious reasons.

Bassong was getting picked ahead of Taylor despite his lack of experience and I doubt Taylor will be as in demand as Bassong. That tells you their true worth at the end of the day.

See above, I'm not comparing their ability or value. Just saying that's probably why one will be on more than the other at this stage.

Taylor is also not half the player Bassong is, despite having 4 more seasons in the premiership than him.

Who is disputing that? We're on about wages here. I'm better at my job than loads of my seniors at work but they get more money than me, it's just the way of the world.

I assume we're talking about some sort of corporate structure with your job though? Bassong and Taylor are a similar age and have exactly the same job description, with one of them following it significantly better

Taylor is also not half the player Bassong is, despite having 4 more seasons in the premiership than him.

Who is disputing that? We're on about wages here. I'm better at my job than loads of my seniors at work but they get more money than me, it's just the way of the world.

I assume we're talking about some sort of corporate structure with your job though? Bassong and Taylor are a similar age and have exactly the same job description, with one of them following it significantly better

Taylor isn't negotiating now though is he? They're not going to give Bassong what they can't afford, regardless of what Taylor is on. Likewise they can't tell Taylor he's not as good as they thought and tear his contract up.

25k per week???  Thought we were slashing the wage bill,  can't see how we can afford to pay that,  the likes of Van Persie at Arsenal are on that type of wage(granted he's about to get a whopping rise) and we are now in the championship! 

We'd be better off saying we'll double your salary now and when we get promoted we will double it again.

Guest firetotheworks

Theres so many things to take into account in all of this.

The likelihood of wages coming down now were in the CC

The threat of him becoming a big time charlie if he's put on a high wage

Taylor length of time he's been here

The fact that we all know fuck all about football business

The fact that Mike Ashley knows fuck all about football

Taylor isn't negotiating now though is he? They're not going to give Bassong what they can't afford, regardless of what Taylor is on. Likewise they can't tell Taylor he's not as good as they thought and tear his contract up.

That, I completely accept. It's the experience argument that I disagree with

Bassong is on 5k/week at the moment isn't he? Bump that up to 15k/week and promise to double that if we gain promotion sounds reasonable considering the financial situation we are in right now! He is under contract and won't be sold for a cheap price. I think we need to try hard to keep him but not go over the top with the wages! We just can't afford it!

That, I completely accept. It's the experience argument that I disagree with

Well it was just an example of what they could attempt to use to justify offering lower wages. Obviously the main one is the fact we went down...

ermmmmmmm :lol:

Big Al puts £15m price on Sebastien Bassong

May 28 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

ALAN SHEARER is expected to place a £15m valuation on star defender Sebastien Bassong in a bid to ensure a “win, win” situation regardless of the outcome on the French ace’s future.

The Chronicle understands that Shearer – who hopes to confirm a new deal with the Magpies by the end of the week – wants to keep Bassong on Tyneside and build a team around the ex-Metz man.

However, Arsenal, Manchester City, Aston Villa and Spurs are all interested in the player who was Newcastle’s star man of the season just finished.

And once Shearer is given the green light to take full control, one of his first tasks will be to tie up a new deal with Bassong that will see him handed a vastly improved contract which would quintuple his £5,000-a-week wages.

Insiders at St James’s Park today were still confident that Shearer will emerge from discussions with managing director Derek Llambias and football secretary Lee Charnley smiling after a week of talks over just where the relegated Magpies go from here. Shearer’s view that “every day that goes by, another room burns” has not gone unnoticed by Llambias and Toon tycoon Mike Ashley.

However, the billionaire owner stayed out of the second round of talks yesterday.

But while Newcastle are under no pressure to sell Bassong from a contractual point of view, the appointment of Shearer is key to the side’s summer plans.

Yet with four Premier League clubs circling St James’s Park like vultures to land Bassong, currently on international duty with Cameroon for their World Cup qualifier with Morocco, Big Al will be keen either to hold on to the classy defender or bank his transfer fee on top of what Ashley pours into his transfer kitty.

Shearer and his assistant Iain Dowie are hoping that Ashley will back a team rebuilding programme and that outgoing deals will not get in the way of bringing fresh faces into St James’s.

The last thing that Newcastle need right now is to have to sell to buy, with their Championship rivals already almost a month ahead of them in terms of preparation.

And Shearer will have enough on his plate when it comes to slashing the £74m wage bill.

Shearer and Dowie, unlike the last two days, were not at the training ground early this morning and it is understood that the majority of the talking has been done.

Now it appears that it is a case of Llambias, Charnley and financial controller John Irving working through Shearer’s action plan to see how much they can back it, with an announcement expected in due course.

Shearer is still scheduled to meet the representatives of both Bassong and Habib Beye in the next few days.

The appearance of investment banker Keith Harris on Tyneside sparked off takeover talk again at Newcastle but the situation regarding a buy- out of Ashley has not changed – and until a concrete offer is on the table, the Buckinghamshire billionaire will remain at the helm.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/05/28/big-al-puts-15m-price-on-sebastien-bassong-72703-23733327/

Theiving fucker. :lol:

'The Chronicle understands' = 'The Chronicle read on some internet forums'.

Aye hence the errrrrrm :lol: from me at top of post I really did LOL when i seen it.

So is spending all day on here rather than working your protest about this? :razz:

In any case, I'd say less than £30k for our best player is an insult, regardless of league status. And I sincerely hope he's offered it.

Thats the sort of thinking that led to our current wage bill.

Theiving fucker. :lol:

'The Chronicle understands' = 'The Chronicle read on some internet forums'.

:lol: :lol:

It looks like Footylatest read the Chronicle article as well.  There are some quotes as well but that doesn't necessarily mean Bassong actually said them!

http://www.footylatest.com/arsenal-aston-villa-spurs-and-man-city-fighting-over-15m-newcastle-defender/

Arsenal, Aston Villa, Spurs and Man City fighting over £15m Newcastle defenderMay - 28 - 2009

It has been reported today that Arsenal are very keen on the Newcastle defender Sebastian Bassong, who has indicated that he has no intention of playing in the Championship next season. Aston Villa, Tottenham and Man City have also been impressed with Bassong’s form this season, and with Bassong looking to stay in the top flight will all have a chance.

Newcastle are keen for him to stay at St. James Park, so it will take a high bid of around £15m to persuade them to part with the ex-Metz man, who only joined Newcastle at the end of last summer. His performances have earned him a call-up to the Caneroon national squad.

Bassong told reporters: “Everybody knows that I am an ambitious boy, and playing Championship football never crossed my mind.

“You have to have a plan for your career, and playing in the second division would be a step backward.”

hope we put at least £10m on the head of Martins

Can't see that happening, we paid that for him a couple of years ago and he hasn't exactly improved and add that to the fact we've got a bad bargaining position.

Just did a little calculation of who I think we'll sell and how much we'll get for them. The total came to 29.5 million, which is a lot more than I thought, here's how I came up with that:

Geremi            500k

Barton            2 mill

Jonas              3 mill

Colo                5 mill

Smith              2 mill

Martins            7 mill

Xisco                2 mill

Bassong          8 mill

Wildly optimistic or close to what will happen ? I can see both Colo and Jonas actually moving on loans, but that would still leave us with 21 million from player sales, not bad at all especially when you factor in the wage reductions.

The problem of course is we have to replace those 8 players in the squad along with the 6 players who will be either out of contract or at the end of their loans. A 14 player turnover may be to big for us to achieve.