Bassong: 'I want to leave for my career and my future'

Dave

The players are largely responsible for this fucking mess, what with them being absolute turd on the pitch. Some of them should grow up and have the decency to help the club come straight back up. Some people will probably say "why should they?" and "they owe us nothing", well thats bollocks if we are sitting in the Championship because they couldnt be bothered this season.

There isn't really tht much in the article we didn't know about tbh. I don't think other clubs will be in for him unless we give him away at a stupid price, he still has a few flaws in his game for all his promise. No doubt he'd prefer to leave if we go down if a decent club comes in, but it won't necessarily pan out like that. He's still under contract for another season at least surely?

How is a good player leaving a side whos been relegated us getting "f***ed".

You make out as if its somehow massively unfair on us. Its not his fault our owner turned out to be a t*** and everything else went wrong.

He's 23?!

One year is nothing. If it was someone like Viduka or a player wrong side of 30 fair enough.

One year is alot. Especially when there's a World Cup at the end of it. Whether you think he's capable or not, Bassong will almost certainly believe himself to be good enough to make that final French squad for South Africa 2010, a competition all higher calibre players will be desperate to play in, and it's a nailed on certainty that he'll be overlooked for selection if he's plying his trade with us in the Championship. If he's at the end of his career or an established international, like Di Livio or Del Piero, players who stuck by their respective clubs despite demotion to the lower divisions, being in the lower leagues wouldn't matter. Bassong isn't at that stage of his career. He needs to be playing in the top flights, and ideally in European competitions, if he has any real ambition and wants the recognition that despite his faults he does deserve.

He'll be thinking that should he manage to sign for a good team, e.g. Arsenal, and also manages to have a good season with them playing in Europe and at the top end of the Premiership, with him playing alongside far more competent teammates, under far less constant pressure all game, and under signficantly better management, he'll have a massive chance of getting a callup to the national team. And in all honesty, he'd be both correct and justified to think that.

He's not THAT good to be honest.

Our best player this season, but wouldn't get past Titus Bramble in my opinion, and I thought Faye was better last season also.

:lol:

Bruce praises him loads that's it.

Bruce said Ryan Taylor was better than Beckham at free kicks.  :kinnear:

I think he is still very raw and makes a lot of mistakes but has shown great promise.  Arsenal need an experienced centre-half so I am not sure if they would splash the cash on him at this stage especially if they don't have much money to spend as to me, he would be more of a squad player there.

There have been rumours about Lescott going to Arsenal - if that was the case, then I could imagine Moyes wanting him as a replacement and turning him into a top player in time.

Typical foreign footballer TBH,no loyalty to this football club what so ever.

Exactly, he should take a leaf out of Rooney's book...

Sorry i'll rephrase that,'Typical FOOTBALLER TBHno loyalty to this football club what so ever.

Don't blame him in the slightest. He's come to the club at one of our most turbulent seasons, been pretty much better than everyone else and will probably be relegated to the championship. We have given him a platform sure but it could of been anyone in the premiership really. Would you blame say Chris Brunt if Arsenal were bidding for him and he left? Why should he waste a year of his career in the championship when he could be in the champions league? I agree with modern footballers having no loyalty but Bassong is hardly indebted to the club.

Pretty much the Ashley way of life. Sell our best players for a profit, then we will of course fail to reinvest the money into the team and once again the downward spiral continues.

Typical foreign footballer TBH,no loyalty to this football club what so ever.

Exactly, he should take a leaf out of Rooney's book...

Sorry i'll rephrase that,'Typical FOOTBALLER TBHno loyalty to this football club what so ever.

Exactly  :pow:

Guest Mantis

Not going to lose any sleep though he has had a pretty good season.  My opinion of french footballers who come here is unchanged, especially defenders.  Play, do well, believe the hype and want to go to the big smoke or 'Bigger' clubs.  Domi, Distin, Bernard, Goma, Bassong???  If he goes, he goes. Dont want anyone who doesn't want to be here. The club goes on without all of these guys. 

Not going to lose any sleep though he has had a pretty good season.  My opinion of french footballers who come here is unchanged, especially defenders.  Play, do well, believe the hype and want to go to the big smoke or 'Bigger' clubs.  Domi, Distin, Bernard, Goma, Bassong???  If he goes, he goes. Dont want anyone who doesn't want to be here. The club goes on without all of these guys. 

It might go on but in the Championship.

Guest Mantis

odds are it will be the Championship, but if it is, we will still be here and we can go about forgetting those who move on, just as Shay is now a distant memory.

No surprise...but why even conduct that interview this week? What relevance does it have? Wait until what's happened has happened. No class doing that at a point when the clubs future is in the balance imo.

I agree.

I concur with the agreement. Strikes me as an act of self interest above the team needs tbh.

Reporters ask questions, he answers them.

If he refuses to comment, people will think he's hiding away and wants away. If he lies, and then moves on in the Summer he gets accused of being someone who can't be trusted. No win situation tbh.

odds are it will be the Championship, but if it is, we will still be here and we can go about forgetting those who move on, just as Shay is now a distant memory.

And things will be exactly the same next year.

Players don't want to be here because the club has no ambition and the only players who will come are much like the ones we have - overpaid and over-the-hill wasters. Shola Ameobi wants to be here more than anything because eventually we'll get bad enough for him to get a game - and somehow that's a good thing?!

NUFC's solution of "he's good but not happy because we're shit, better flog him" is the most retarded approach to the problem imaginable and one of the major reasons we're going down. If Milner, N'Zogbia, Faye and Given were all still here, we wouldn't be. Big clubs, clubs who want to be successful don't sell their best players (unless they're 100% confident of replacing them properly) - no matter how much they whinge.

Guest Heneage

Pretty much the Ashley way of life. Sell our best players for a profit, then we will of course fail to reinvest the money into the team and once again the downward spiral continues.

I take it you don't send him a Christmas card? I don't think he would want to sell our best players this is purely Seb wanting to go, not Ashley saying we'll sell.

I think he is still very raw and makes a lot of mistakes but has shown great promise.  Arsenal need an experienced centre-half so I am not sure if they would splash the cash on him at this stage especially if they don't have much money to spend as to me, he would be more of a squad player there.

There have been rumours about Lescott going to Arsenal - if that was the case, then I could imagine Moyes wanting him as a replacement and turning him into a top player in time.

:dowie:

Not around here there hasn't. Arsenal can't even afford him anyway. There was a rumour they wanted Yobo because he's 3rd choice now and out of contract soon.

Anyway- if you stay up, which I think you will, then you can hold on to Bassong. Even if he does eventually leave at least you will make a healthy profit on him.

I take it you don't send him a Christmas card? I don't think he would want to sell our best players this is purely Seb wanting to go, not Ashley saying we'll sell.

We've done it this season and not replaced them adequately.

:dowie:

Not around here there hasn't. Arsenal can't even afford him anyway. There was a rumour they wanted Yobo because he's 3rd choice now and out of contract soon.

Anyway- if you stay up, which I think you will, then you can hold on to Bassong. Even if he does eventually leave at least you will make a healthy profit on him.

Is that you Mike? So it's Everton, not Spurs ey? :hmm: