Bassong: 'I want to leave for my career and my future'

Dave

I don't know why there's a price of £8-10m being bandied about, why would anyone pay that when they can pick him up for a free at the end of next season? He might want to leave but we should make him stay, on a new contract if he agrees on his current one if he doesn't. We aren't going to get an offer which will make it worthwhile selling anyhow.

I thought he was on a 3 year contract, in fact I would be amazed if he wasn't, you would not sign a young player on a 2 year contract, that means he's still got 2 more seasons. So he won't bwe available on a free. Even if he were out of contract, he would still cost a club money because he'd be too young to qualify for a bosman.

I agree though, no way in hell any team will pay 8-10 million for him, he's simply not shown that class yet, 5 million is the max we'll get.

I don't know why there's a price of £8-10m being bandied about, why would anyone pay that when they can pick him up for a free at the end of next season? He might want to leave but we should make him stay, on a new contract if he agrees on his current one if he doesn't. We aren't going to get an offer which will make it worthwhile selling anyhow.

I thought he was on a 3 year contract, in fact I would be amazed if he wasn't, you would not sign a young player on a 2 year contract, that means he's still got 2 more seasons. So he won't bwe available on a free. Even if he were out of contract, he would still cost a club money because he'd be too young to qualify for a bosman.

I agree though, no way in hell any team will pay 8-10 million for him, he's simply not shown that class yet, 5 million is the max we'll get.

Well considering Arsenal are preparing a £15m move for Brede Hangeland. (*cough* The Sun) :cheesy:

Well considering Arsenal are preparing a £15m move for Brede Hangeland. (*cough* The Sun) :cheesy:

That's freaking crazy, but at least he's been the key cog in a highly effective defensive unit that is on the cusp of going from just narrowly escaping relegation last season to Europe this. He's not been the best  member of the footballing equivelant of the keystone cops defensive unit that is the laughing stock of the entire country.

Keegan signed Bassong.

It has also emerged that Dennis Wise almost blew the chance of signing Bassong. The controversial transfer chief sent out his scouting network to the Toulon tournament last summer where he was playing for France Under-21s.

But after Bassong played twice against Holland and Japan in defeats, while he was carrying a knock, Wise didn’t follow up with any interest.

And it was Keegan who offered the player a trial before a £500,000 bargain fee was pushed through.

The source added: “It was Kevin who was offered the chance to look at the player on trial and he was very impressed with him.

“Afterwards, Dennis was unhappy and angry that he hadn’t been consulted first.

“But it was Keegan’s signing.”

I think he is not what Wenger is looking for not at the price we would want anyway, he is a decent defender but also has been a lucky one, got away with a lot this saeason and could have seen red way more than twice.

He needs to calm himself down and stop believing his own hype, he does have a very bright future in the game and will see a full French cap he is progresses like he has been but its all going to take time and if he moves to a club like Arsenal he is not going to get the 1st team football like he will here.

To be honest the same kind of thing could have been said about the likes of Campbell and Adams, always looked like they were man handling people but never got pulled up on it.  Not that Bassong is as good as either obviously.

To be honest the same kind of thing could have been said about the likes of Campbell and Adams, always looked like they were man handling people but never got pulled up on it.  Not that Bassong is as good as either obviously.

The game is changing though, cannot be a rough as those two were in their day.

Keegan signed Bassong.

It has also emerged that Dennis Wise almost blew the chance of signing Bassong. The controversial transfer chief sent out his scouting network to the Toulon tournament last summer where he was playing for France Under-21s.

But after Bassong played twice against Holland and Japan in defeats, while he was carrying a knock, Wise didn’t follow up with any interest.

And it was Keegan who offered the player a trial before a £500,000 bargain fee was pushed through.

The source added: “It was Kevin who was offered the chance to look at the player on trial and he was very impressed with him.

Who's the source of the source?

Keegan signed Bassong.

Who's the source of the source?

Bassong himself? A wild guess but it reads very similar to what Seb said a few months back - he was noticed and signed by Keegan due to the fact KK was mates with his agent.

EDIT: Oh hai.

Guest Howaythetoon

Any player that doesn't want to be here can fuck off. Sick of these cunts. I'd love for him to stay though, promising player, but not the be all and end all of this club which rests with us lot, not the players.

He should stick around, I hope he does. Can see him getting snapped up by the likes of Arsenal as a squad player, though, and being delighted with that.

One of the few I'd be sad to lose (along with Beye, S. Taylor and Enrique - possibly Jonas as well).

Any player that doesn't want to be here can f*** off. Sick of these c***s. I'd love for him to stay though, promising player, but not the be all and end all of this club which rests with us lot, not the players.

Although that is a fine philosophy, we have to be practicle too, we've got a hell of a lot of other deadwood to clear first and we will be severly short on numbers if we get rid of them all. Keeping young players with talent on contracts that have a few years on them should be our priority for now, of course if we get a ridiculously silly offer like 10 million, snap their hands off.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but he's chosen Cameroon ahead of France. Just earned his first call-up to the Cameroon national squad. So even in the small chance that he'll stay with us next season, chances are he'll miss a fair chunk of January/February in the African Cup of Nations.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but he's chosen Cameroon ahead of France. Just earned his first call-up to the Cameroon national squad. So even in the small chance that he'll stay with us next season, chances are he'll miss a fair chunk of January/February in the African Cup of Nations.

4 posts up

Easy to get a player in on loan for a month now as cover. See, Championship, full of positives.

Bet one of Al's demands if he takes the job is that we keep Bassong.

Hardly, it will be part of Shearer's job to try to get these players to stay.

Indeed but he will want the club to back him in ofeering Bassong a good new deal and he will want some confiirmation that the club will not listen offers for Bassong.

No point Al trying to talk him into saying if Ashley plans to cash in.

Guest Stephen927

To be honest, I think Shearer if he does stay on will be told he has full control of the first team, whoever he wants to keep he can keep within reason, whoever he wants to go he can let go. The stumbling block may well be the amount of money he will have to spend. Shearer like all of us will want to bounce back first season and might want more than Ashley is willing to give him. We should get about £8m from player sales I imagine, it's the extra on top of that that Ashley will put in himself which will be crucial for Shearer.

Guest optimistic nit

Ashley is bound to try and cash in on him, an absolute dead cert :(

this kind of shit stiring is really counter productive, whether its true or not.