The Villa

Guest BooBoo

villa fans on another forum were saying we were "booing" laursen when he did his speech. didnt seem NUFC-like to me!

I don't think they were booing but the fans were definitely singing.  I didn't even realise that there was a speech as the PA system was poor.

villa fans on another forum were saying we were "booing" laursen when he did his speech. didnt seem NUFC-like to me!

He wasn't booed. I didn't even realise there was a speech until I was told about it after.

Did sound like there was a bit of booing as he was presented on one of their vids, but i heard none, just singing.

The booing was the Villa fans trying to get the Newcastle fans to stop singing through it.

Did sound like there was a bit of booing as he was presented on one of their vids, but i heard none, just singing.

The booing was the Villa fans trying to get the Newcastle fans to stop singing through it.

Was it half time or post match? Didn't even notice it tbh.

Guest BooBoo

Quite ridiculous. As Mowen said earlier in the thread, it wasn't a minutes silence that we were interrupting.

Quite ridiculous. As Mowen said earlier in the thread, it wasn't a minutes silence that we were interrupting.

Have you seen Cuellar and Davies play together in the centre of defence? It might as well have been.

Guest BooBoo

Laursen seems a decent bloke and its unfortunate that his career has ended early, but he's nothing to Newcastle fans so why should we be expected to stop singing and chanting just because he's saying his fond farewells?

How fucking precious is that? The bloke's not dead. Personally I was more interested in trying to support my team than pay any attention to what Martin Laursen was or wasn't doing. Maybe when we eventually make it back to Villa Park, you can use your giant scoreboards as an autocue to let us know when we're allowed to support our team.

Laursen seems a decent bloke and its unfortunate that his career has ended early, but he's nothing to Newcastle fans so why should we be expected to stop singing and chanting just because he's saying his fond farewells?

Why shouldn't sections of our support take pleasure in your demise, if you're looking at it that way?

You've spent most of the thread moaning about people acting tribally at a football match and then said "why shouldn't we act tribally?". There's no reason why you shouldn't. That's what football supporters do.

I only mentioned Laursen in reply to someone else who mentioned him in the first place and I mentioned that your fans were singing through his speech. I didn't attach any negativity to the comment, you did.

How fucking precious is that? The bloke's not dead. Personally I was more interested in trying to support my team than pay any attention to what Martin Laursen was or wasn't doing. Maybe when we eventually make it back to Villa Park, you can use your giant scoreboards as an autocue to let us know when we're allowed to support our team.

I mentioned you were singing through his speech as someone mentioned us "saying our goodbyes" or whatever it was. You were making quite a lot of noise. I didn't make out that you were pissing on his grave or something. They just wanted to hear what he was saying, which is what the booing was about.

Guest stjamestoon

Another addition to my 'teams i like seeing get thrashed.' Their supporters parading banners revelling in our demise- Sob on the Tyne- being the most noticeable. Odd mentality really, if the roles were reversed i dont think anyone would give a monkeys about them going down.

To be fair, i was at the blues game, living near to Birmingham, i went with a mate, sat in blues end, and the toon fans were giving the blues fans hell for going down!

I can't believe anyone is really shocked to see football supporters taking pleasure in the misfortune of other football supporters, like it is some kind of new thing which doesn't normally happen.

A Blues supporting fan was telling me the other day how much your lot were loving it when you relegated them the other year.

To be fair, i was at the blues game, living near to Birmingham, i went with a mate, sat in blues end, and the toon fans were giving the blues fans hell for going down!

I hope you'd had a full course of innoculations beforehand, and got yourself deloused afterwards.

I hope you'd had a full course of innoculations beforehand, and got yourself deloused afterwards.

typical villa fan, making sweeping generalisations

*quickly leaves thread*

Guest Phil K

Villa supporters are Brummois - do you need more ?

Thick as pig sh*t - and thats their intellectuals.

(Present company excepted if he's reading this !)  ;D :pow:

Guest toonlass

To be honest, your lot had no reason to boo. The majority of the Newcastle fans did not realise Laurson was making any kind of speech, as we were more concerned about our club. It was not a disrespectful act on behalf of the Geordies but your PA bloke cannot expect to get Laurson to makea speech while 3,000 Geordies are busy showing how much we love our club.

Guest Hodgey

Apologies in advance about bringing an old thread up (and especially one that will bring back memories of a very dark day in the history of NUFC) but I've got to take issue with a Villa fan summarising their season in last Sunday's Observer sport section in which a fan from each club gives answers about their season overall, whether happy with their manager, stars / flops etc. 

In answer to 'Who were the best, and worst, away fans?' this tw@t's answer is:

'Stoke were best, but Newcastle fans are like their team: unduly pleased with themselves and massively overrated. They won't be missed'  :angry:

I live in B'ham and I know many Villa fans were revelling in our misery but ffs this muppet is wrong on all counts as any serious article in the press about fan loyalty always mentions us (cliches are invariably largely true after all so we are not overrated!) and we are one of the few clubs that pack out away ends around the country.  Not to mention Newcastle regularly coming top (as voted by other fans) as the best away day experience.  You very often don't appreciate something til its gone and I reckon most PL fans will definitely miss a visit by the toon, not to mention the trip to SJP.

Brummie is a regular and welcome contributor to this forum, I don't know what his take is and if he can shed any light on it but I'm baffled by this tosser's statement!  When Shearer's name crops up, some Villa fans still bang on about Shearer's elbow saying hello to Ugo Ehiogu's eye socket way back when, as well as the Milner / Shephard shenanigans but there's got to be more to it than that surely!?

I don't see how any Villa fan could think we were poor that day. I'm not into self-congratulations or any "our fans are better than your fans" but I felt reasonably proud of us that day.

I don't see how any Villa fan could think we were poor that day. I'm not into self-congratulations or any "our fans are better than your fans" but I felt reasonably proud of us that day.

The Villa away lot were probably the best away fans I've seen barring our own, when I went to see them at Fulham.

Guest Hodgey

The Villa away lot were probably the best away fans I've seen barring our own, when I went to see them at Fulham.

Fair enough but the tosser in the Observer must simply not be representative of other fans in general.  Much fuss was made as soon as our crowds dropped below the 50k mark but we've been relegated with an average of 48,500 which is the highest average by a country mile (I believe ManU averaged 42k last time they dropped)

and it speaks volumes about the support we have.

No doubt all eyes will be on our attendance figures next season with predictable comments in the press and on 606, Talk-Shite etc

Villa have had a decent average this season largely because they are one of the cheapest season tickets, they've had their best season in ages and everything in their garden is looking the rosiest it has in well over a decade now that Deadly Doug has stepped aside (great manager, chairman, promising young players etc).

I'd love to see what other clubs would do in the face of such a farce of a season, I dare say a higher proportion of fans of any other club would have given up half way thru the season!

Guest BooBoo

I was in Glasgow this weekend and randomly seen a bloke handing out flyers dressed in a Villa shirt. Cue one of our group asking:

"Here, what was the crack with those arseholes in the Holte End with their soft shite banners?"

"Er, sorry mate, i wasn't at the game."

Fair enough but the tosser in the Observer must simply not be representative of other fans in general.  Much fuss was made as soon as our crowds dropped below the 50k mark but we've been relegated with an average of 48,500 which is the highest average by a country mile (I believe ManU averaged 42k last time they dropped)

and it speaks volumes about the support we have.

No doubt all eyes will be on our attendance figures next season with predictable comments in the press and on 606, Talk-s**** etc

Villa have had a decent average this season largely because they are one of the cheapest season tickets, they've had their best season in ages and everything in their garden is looking the rosiest it has in well over a decade now that Deadly Doug has stepped aside (great manager, chairman, promising young players etc).

I'd love to see what other clubs would do in the face of such a farce of a season, I dare say a higher proportion of fans of any other club would have given up half way thru the season!

i remember it being very easy to get tickets for anywhere at villa park mid nineties and the atmosphere was poor. however it has to be said that it picked up a ;ot even before deadly doug left

I don't know what you were like, because I wasn't there.

Season before you were quite noisy, but understandably less so after our equaliser given the way the match turned.

One thing I will say, though, is that the best fans I saw at our place all season were Ajax by a country mile. Only about 1200 of them, but they made as much noise as most clubs who brought almost three times as many, and never stopped going the entire 90 minutes.

Disappointing: the obvious (Boro, for example, Fulham, Wigan etc), but also Everton and Liverpool (the first sat down the whole 90 mins, which has a limiting factor on how much noise you can make, the second consisted mainly of jester hat wearing Scandinavians), Man United (who are usually amongst the best).

Generally I find that the ranking goes like this:

1. Non top four (except Man United), sell all the seats, stand up all the time clubs

2. Newly promoted clubs

3. Foreign clubs in the UEFA. Even MSK Zilina were quite good.

4. The rest.

There's no such thing as a club having support who are always noisy, though. Human nature being what it is, everyone gets downhearted and quiet when things are going badly.

I do get a bit uncomfortable when supporters go on about how good their away support is (and ours are as bad as anyone at this - in fact, pretty much everyone does it), it makes me think of Albion supporters, who do nothing but big themselves up. It is all a bit small time, really.

Agree with that assessment brummie, I just think the appraisal of our fans in that game was a means to have a cheap dig as that was one of the best I'd been to that season, if not the best. I've been to much quieter ones this year (Arsenal in particular wasn't a great showing by us iirc) but I think the reaction to the final whistle was pretty special.

Also, the Everton fans were very disappointing at our place this year. I'm continually amazed by some of the foreign fans, I went to Blackburn Leverkusen for a fiver with a few mates a couple of years back, and the commotion they made throughout a dire 0-0 draw would put almost any set of fans to shame. Would love to get to a European away myself, can't see it happening for quite some time now mind.