The Villa

Guest BooBoo

They have a 23 page thread about us being relegated? How long is the thread about the smoggies being relegated?

Who gives a fuck?

That's obviously a rhetorical question going by this thread like.

Has anyone thought that, perhaps, if we were to take this with something approaching dignity then that might go some way to overcoming the negative stereotypes that a lot of people hold of us? All bullshit like this thread does is give them more ammunition to use against us.

Football fans in 'indignant at being kicked when down' shocker.

Sorry Indi, this is my issue de jour, as i can focus on this supposed slight from the Villa fans instead of reflecting on how shit a team we are/were.

One of my mates was telling me today about the Newcastle fans (without tickets, some of them) he was chatting to on the walk to the ground yesterday, and what a decent lot they were and about as far from the usual stereotype as you could possibly find.

I was telling him that this place is pretty much a good example of that, and that you can't judge vast swathes of people by stereotypes.

My brother was out on Broad Street on Saturday night and got chatting to a few who were down for the game (there were a lot of them out on the piss, incidentally, who seemed to be having a good time, which must have been a struggle in such a boring city), and he said the same thing.

I was reading on one of our forums earlier, one of our fanzine sellers saying that all the Newcastle supporters he came across were "a credit to their club", and there are shit loads of posters on here, who are precisely that.

I understand you're pissed off, I've been in exactly the same situation myself, but you seem to have entirely missed my point, that by whingeing on about the way people behave, then sinking to their own level, you lose your claim to moral authority.

Oh and

Anyway, we only think Brummie is an interesting poster because we can read what he says instead of listening to it.

;)

I had you down for one of the interesting posters too, but reading this thread, you've come across as about as undignified as you possibly could. Smiley or not, that's pathetic and vaguely insulting.

They have a 23 page thread about us being relegated? How long is the thread about the smoggies being relegated?

Who gives a fuck?

Has anyone thought that, perhaps, if we were to take this with something approaching dignity then that might go some way to overcoming the negative stereotypes that a lot of people hold of us? All bullshit like this thread does is give them more ammunition to use against us.

Sorry Indi, this is my issue de jour, as i can focus on this supposed slight from the Villa fans instead of reflecting on how shit a team we are/were.

One of my mates was telling me today about the Newcastle fans (without tickets, some of them) he was chatting to on the walk to the ground yesterday, and what a decent lot they were and about as far from the usual stereotype as you could possibly find.

I was telling him that this place is pretty much a good example of that, and that you can't judge vast swathes of people by stereotypes.

My brother was out on Broad Street on Saturday night and got chatting to a few who were down for the game (there were a lot of them out on the piss, incidentally, who seemed to be having a good time, which must have been a struggle in such a boring city), and he said the same thing.

I was reading on one of our forums earlier, one of our fanzine sellers saying that all the Newcastle supporters he came across were "a credit to their club", and there are shit loads of posters on here, who are precisely that.

I understand you're pissed off, I've been in exactly the same situation myself, but you seem to have entirely missed my point, that by whingeing on about the way people behave, then sinking to their own level, you lose your claim to moral authority.

Oh and

Anyway, we only think Brummie is an interesting poster because we can read what he says instead of listening to it.

;)

I had you down for one of the interesting posters too, but reading this thread, you've come across as about as undignified as you possibly could. Smiley or not, that's pathetic and vaguely insulting.

Everyone's still burning from yesterday man. Give it a few days and we'll come to terms with it.

Guest toonlass

News just in: One banner doesn't represent an entire fan base, in the same way that one fat shirtless tattooed crying Geordie doesn't.

Or the "Boycoutt" banner eh?

Who gives a fuck?

Oh and

;)

I agreed with you earlier, that was me telt, you dont need to keep telling me my behaviour is poor.

The insult was deliberate to see if i could get you to react in the same i am doing to the 'insulting' banner. At least it shoud be clear that i am only kidding.

Guest toonlass

The Villa fans who I actually spoke to yesterday were canny enough people. There were some knobs though, like the ones who thought it would be amusing to throw stuff like traffic cones and the fencing that the gas boards put around holes over the fence towards us when we were waiting to go on the busses.

all people who like football are cunts, basically.

The internet was the worst thing ever to happen to football. Worse than Charles Hughes, Sky, and FIFA combined.

not as bad as nicky butt though

Guest toonlass

The internet was the worst thing ever to happen to football. Worse than Charles Hughes, Sky, and FIFA combined.

:lol:

Guest toonlass

Grow a pair of balls, ffs :lol:

What they did was totally expected, and it was fine - it's football banter, what else do you expect?

If you're over 15, stop crying about a freaking banner or two.

Physical imposibility, sorry.

The Villa fans who I actually spoke to yesterday were canny enough people. There were some knobs though, like the ones who thought it would be amusing to throw stuff like traffic cones and the fencing that the gas boards put around holes over the fence towards us when we were waiting to go on the busses.

I actually thought he put himself about a fair bit yesterday and at least showed some passion. Certainly when compared with that toussle-haired spunkweasel Coloccini who only seemed to put in any effort when getting down the tunnel as quickly as he could.

I actually thought he put himself about a fair bit yesterday and at least showed some passion. Certainly when compared with that toussle-haired spunkweasel Coloccini who only seemed to put in any effort when getting down the tunnel as quickly as he could.

I agree actually, pretty much the only one who seemed to care. Didn't hide like Nolan and made more effort than anyone to thank us. Shame he's turboshit.

I agree actually, pretty much the only one who seemed to care. Didn't hide like Nolan and made more effort than anyone to thank us. Shame he's turboshit.

Nolan engaged in banter a few times with our fans in the front rows of the Trinity Road every time he came over to take a throw - saw him laughing with them a few times. I imagine they were making Delap related comments as he was drying the ball on his shirt before throwing.

Maybe I'm a bit miserable and old school, but I don't like to see footballers smiling when staring adversity so closely in the face.

Nolan engaged in banter a few times with our fans in the front rows of the Trinity Road every time he came over to take a throw - saw him laughing with them a few times. I imagine they were making Delap related comments as he was drying the ball on his shirt before throwing.

Maybe I'm a bit miserable and old school, but I don't like to see footballers smiling when staring adversity so closely in the face.

I suppose I could put up with it if he was any good.

And therein is our problem. The players didnt give a shit and it appears that as far as they were concerned, they werent staring adversity in the face

As a Newcastle fan living in Birmingham and amongst all of the Villa fans, yesterday was extremely difficult to take. I was in the Holte End for the game and heard the expected chants; 'You're going down with the Baggies' etc... But what I was shocked about was their determination to rub it in as if we were their biggest rivals!

Some of you are right though, they had nothing really to play for so their attention was turned to taking digs at our club. Some Villa fans are hooligans who just look for the fight (by some I mean 3/4 of the Holte End for sure!). The banner was pathetic and those supporters should be ashamed of themselves! It is a football fans perogative in some senses to take shots at other supporters, but I thought they crossed the line! Like some of us have stated before, I don't think we would have gone to the same extremes as they did, if in their shoes.

I'm not going to live this down for a long time and will no doubt be reminded of it for years to come, but the fact is it wasn't Villa who 'sent us down!', it was 38 dismal performances due to various factors, some of which could have been avoided (but that's a topic for another thread), gives me some sense of defensive mechanism against those Villa supporters (grasping at straws here)!

We have been a joke for many years and maybe going down to the Championship is the right thing for us right now. To rebuild from scratch and get rid of dead wood taking up high wages. I am a proud Toon fan and have stayed with the club through tough times, even though I have no ties up North. It is the loyalty of the fans that I think will help us re-establish ourselves as a top club in Europe in the next 5 years. I have faith and I'm sure most others have the same faith!

We have been a joke for many years and maybe going down to the Championship is the right thing for us right now.

I've just been having a conversation with someone about this on PM, but possibly worth mentioning it here. I preface this with disclaimers about I know it is easy for me to say, and I know football has changed, but anyway ...

... when we got relegated in 87, the club was an absolute shambles from top to bottom, absolutely rotten to the core. Ellis had taken apart the team that won the league and EC, and we'd got relegated.

Graham Taylor took over and said - similar to Shearer yesterday, actually - that the club was "a shambles", and set about changing it for the better, which he did a very good job of.

The situation you are in now is that you've got the same chance. A manager who you want, who is untainted by the relegation (who in their right mind would point the finger at Shearer?), a chance to shake the club up from top to bottom - change the way it is run, get rid of those players on absurd contracts negotiated in the Shepherd era, shake the fucking tree as hard as you can.

It isn't as good as staying up and doing it would have been, but in the circumstances now you'll find out who gives a shit about the club, and people at the club will be forced to look at the way they work with a critical eye.

Look at Boro, and you'd struggle to see a single positive for them in being relegated, but your situation is different in that you have an absolutely priceless chance to sieze some good from it and change things definitively.

It seemed like year after year recently we have gotten progressively worse and each pre-season there's an eternal sense of optimism with most Newcastle supporters - myself included. The fact is this is probably the best thing for us right now!

If we had stayed up we would have retained a lot of the players we have now, with a lot of high earners staying at the club for that very reason, they are earning a ridiculous amount of money that they really don't deserve! It is quite possible that we have the right person at the helm now and with Shearer revamping the atmosphere/internal environment and changing things that needed to be changed, perhaps come August we will be in a good position to change for the better! With an actual chance of working our way up the Championship table and challenging! With the squad we have right now I can't see that as a possibility!

Some of you may disagree with that statement, but if anything has taught us from previous years it's, bringing in players to fill up the cracks does not work in a football club! You have to start from scratch and re-build in order to really challenge for top prizes!

Thought they showed themselves up yesterday, majority of the singing was about us and us going down, hardly heard any pro Villa songs. They also seemed to be obsessed with Ant and Dec, the banner and before and after loads of different people going on about it and asking anyone in a toon shirt "are you Ant or Dec". Hilarious.

And the Shearer bashing, fair enough expected a fair bit of that but they went on even after the final whistle when their players were clapping right in front of them, bit sad iyam.

A few were nice on the walk back saying "you'll be back, unlucky" and such. Most tending to be older, the younger element of their support were a bunch of obsessed fucking arseholes in my experience. Ashley Young is a dickhead as well.

Brummie, the point is that considering Villa have had a pretty good year and that a fan favourite was bidding farewell to Villa Park, your fans (well some anyway) were more focussed on a team that they never have had serious beef with.

And did you really expect any different, had the match been played anywhere else in the country?

I understand people getting annoyed, but my points are:

1. Schadenfreude. It is what football is built on. How this surprises anyone is beyond me,

2. People in this thread spouting utter nonsense like "s*** boring fans, s*** city yada yada yada" being probably the same people who - quite rightly - get the hump when others go on about fat blokes with their shirts off crying need to get a grip and think about what they're saying and what kind of negative stereotypes they're perpetuating.

3. If you'd gone down and nobody had batted an eyelid that's when you should be worried, not when it gets the kind of reaction and coverage it has just got.

4. Martin Laursen - we did give him a good send off. After we'd got your fans to stop singing through his speaking to the crowd, that is.

I agree with your first three points but I don't like your insinuation we were disrespectful or something to Laursen.  This was a huge game for us and I don't think we're under any obligation to pause our support for some speech.  When it was something more serious, the half time memorial thing, I and many others stood and clapped.

Think Villa and the rest of the teams that seem to revel in our mismanagement deep down know that if sombody gets it right up here then we could dominate for years.

Aye but that just got a little bit less likely dont you think?