Pay cuts

Dave

i think theres a very slim chance we can hang onto that back 4. considerin they were our best back 4 while in the prem so bassong no doubt will leave as teams will take note that he was our "player of the season" alot are aware of s.taylor aswell and alot seem to rate him, i'd be surprised if beye wasnt noticed aswell. enrique i dnt think would get many offers in england even though i personally rate him highly but there will be plently of spanish clubs willing to take him i would think.

There's about four players there who I would definitely put a question mark over.  Those four being Beye, Bassong, Enrique and Lovenkrands.  Both Bassong and Enrique are on lowish wages with years left on there contracts and Beye has been making noises about wanting to help us come back up.  So I'd say we have a realistic chance of keeping them if we try hard enough.  Despite what Lovenkrands agent says I'm not sure he'll have many offers.  Then again he's on a free and not on big wages so I suppose someone in the Premiership will likely take him.

I don't see Guthrie having much of a problem with giving us a season in the Championship and Steven Taylor has already said he'll stay.

fair points. if we do in someway keep that back 4 plus harper and then with a few others staying duff/guthrie etc i think as crap as they have been in the premiership they would find the championship quite easy  but we do need some investment in the center midfield, wings and striking roles.

I have a funny feeling xisco may have a big role to play next year and i think he might florish in this league like he did in the spanish 2nd division

It makes no sense not to have a relegation clause in. If every other team has them it's there's no incentive not to have them in, especially for a team likelier than most to go down.

The other thing with the clauses is it acts as motivation to the players, those sitting on fat contracts don't want to have them cut in half by relegation. I honestly can't believe we've been that dumb not to include them.

It makes no sense not to have a relegation clause in. If every other team has them it's there's no incentive not to have them in, especially for a team likelier than most to go down.

The other thing with the clauses is it acts as motivation to the players, those sitting on fat contracts don't want to have them cut in half by relegation. I honestly can't believe we've been that dumb not to include them.

I can.

Guest Mucky01

I don't see Guthrie having much of a problem with giving us a season in the Championship and Steven Taylor has already said he'll stay.

he’s not long since signed a £40k a week contract, as he’s one of the few saleable assets he’ll be flogged to cut wages.

£40,000 a week defenders in the Championship — no chance.

he’s not long since signed a £40k a week contract, as he’s one of the few saleable assets he’ll be flogged to cut wages.

Well if he loves the club as much as he says, then he'll take a 10-15k pay cut.

I see no evidence he's on £40,000, he wanted the same money as the likes of N'Zogbia, so its more likely £30,000.  Also we would only need to consider selling him if we couldn't sell a lot of the players we really want rid of.  As long as we lose the massive majority of the players I listed we could easily afford the odd player on £40,000 per week.  Other Championship clubs couldn't but that doesn't mean we couldn't.

Guest Mucky01

Well if he loves the club as much as he says, then he'll take a 10-15k pay cut.

he won’t have a say in it anyway if someone sticks a cheque with £££££ in Ashley’s hand.

Players will not take a wage cut for sure! S.Taylor might actually be an exception but never in a million years it's going to happen with our more "experienced and proven" shitheads such as Duff, Butt and the liest goes on...

Their wages are way beyond ridiculous but it's pretty much a principle I guess. Would you take a wage cut?

Our only option is to sell sell and sell but the wages are still a problem as most of our current players would have to take a wage cut elsewhere as well and a word professional isn't exactly the first word which pops up to my mind...if it was the case we wouln't be in this shitty mess in the first place!

What makes you think S. Tayor would take a pay cut? No chance, imo. If he has any sense (financially, I mean) he'd hang onto those wages as long as he can. He's not financially secure, unlike the likes of Owen, Duff, etc. and who knows if he'd get anywhere near the same amount in the future?

What makes you think S. Tayor would take a pay cut? No chance, imo. If he has any sense (financially, I mean) he'd hang onto those wages as long as he can. He's not financially secure, unlike the likes of Owen, Duff, etc. and who knows if he'd get anywhere near the same amount in the future?

Yep...true. He has no reason to take a pay cut and I think we can afford to keep him at 35K or whatever it is but if we're going to make it finacially solid 35K is absolute max we can offer players in the Championship I think so most of our players' wages requires a huge pay cut

Guest saintscoobz

As Ritchie just mentioned in another thread, the issue of pay cuts keeps coming up time and time again. 'I'd keep him if he took a pay cut' etc.

Thing is, who in their right mind will be willing to take one? None of them, at a guess. The media were convinced our players had contracts that made no mention of changes should the club down, so presumably it's not going to happen. Duff, Smith, Geremi, Barton et al, they're all going to be on crippling wages for a Championship team. We couldn't afford them in the Premier League ffs.

But would we have any legal right to enforce amendments and even terminations to contracts?

cant we just sack them? i think most of them are in breach of contract anyway.  There contracts are for PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALLERS

There is absolutely no way there wouldn't be provisions made for a worst case senarios. The club will be using solicitors specially experienced in drawing up football contracts so to think that they haven't made provisions is merely heresay. They would not be doing their jobs properly and they themselves are likely to be able to be sued by the club for failing to do just that.

Anyway... if I was the club I would be making statments like "the playing staff would be taking a %age pay cut with immediate effect" this week anyway and at least then anyone who tries to leave the club with the current state of the world economy would simply be deemed greedy and the last thing anyone wants in any team at the moment is someone who is a freeloading greedy motherf**ker (insert any current Newcastle player name here) in their team!

Guest westamfan

As Ritchie just mentioned in another thread, the issue of pay cuts keeps coming up time and time again. 'I'd keep him if he took a pay cut' etc.

Thing is, who in their right mind will be willing to take one? None of them, at a guess. The media were convinced our players had contracts that made no mention of changes should the club down, so presumably it's not going to happen. Duff, Smith, Geremi, Barton et al, they're all going to be on crippling wages for a Championship team. We couldn't afford them in the Premier League ffs.

But would we have any legal right to enforce amendments and even terminations to contracts?

Nobody will take pay cuts and you'll struggle to sell players as someone like Duff won't join Wigan because they won't pay him half as much in wages.

Prepare yourselves to be financially ruined.

Guest Heneage

Nobody will take pay cuts and you'll struggle to sell players as someone like Duff won't join Wigan because they won't pay him half as much in wages.

You seem to be dealing with it alright.

I reckon keep them all win the championship and go straight back up bobs your uncle fanny's your aunt!

Unbeliveable that so many think that the players don't have a relegation pay cut clause in their contracts. It's standard procedure. Stop maximizing crises that aren't there. Sure we need to get rid of the highest earners, but players like Taylor will have to take a pay cut because it fucking says so in his contract.

Please don't believe the tabloid mumbo jumbo. Let's focus on issues that actually matters.

Unbeliveable that so many think that the players don't have a relegation pay cut clause in their contracts. It's standard procedure. Stop maximizing crises that aren't there. Sure we need to get rid of the highest earners, but players like Taylor will have to take a pay cut because it f***ing says so in his contract.

Please don't believe the tabloid mumbo jumbo. Let's focus on issues that actually matters.

It's like that for lower clubs fighting against relegation each season but our board hasn't seen that we've been in the same shit for a few good years already! I doubt that the likes of ManU, Chelski and Arsenal have thos clauses either

Guest gggg

Alan Curbishley was saying this morning how after four or five years of stability in the PL you start offering contracts that don't include these clauses.

But wtf does he know.

So we have 15 players supposedly on wages over 50k/week. (which is total bollocks IMO more like 8 tops) Obviously we need to get rid of them all or cut their contracts in half before we can even think about bringing anyone new in.

Sounds daunting but to be honest who are these players?

Owen  - Off

Viduka - Off or getting a lower contract, think the A-League is calling

Martins - Off

Colo - Off

Duff - Potential problem, someone would take him if he doesnt take the cut though.

Smith - See above, I think he would stay though if Shearer asked him, easier to get shot maybe?

Barton - Pay cut or out, dont think he has a leg to stand on at the minute.

Butt - Pay cut or out, although like Duff can see him standing his ground

Not even convinced most of them earn more than 50, but here are others maybe around that mark

Cacapa - Off on a free

Beye - Keep at all costs - will probably leave though, not a problem either way

Taylor - Happy to stay, probably wont take a pay cut though.

Jonas - Apparently happy to stay, which would be career suicide, will be off imo

Geremi - Off

Ameobi - If he makes anywhere near that he should be burned alive

Xisco - would be suprised if his wage is that high, but would need to take a cut or leave, winners all round

R.Taylor - Cut or out, doubt he is on too high a wage

Nolan - probably off, wont take a cut imo, doubt he is on wages over 50k though.

Enrique - Not close to 50k but will more than likely be off, we might get lucky though.

Its all doom and gloom but to be honest I dont think there are too many people we will struggle to shift.

You must be a very miserable person to be here trying to either piss us off or dwell on our disappoint.

Think you're in worse shape than us and we've gone down.  :idiot2:

Always wonder how the media know exactly how much a player is paid and their contract details.  Surely this is confidential information  and all of the figures and clauses bandied about are just guesswork?