Peter Løvenkrands

Rich

I like Lovenkrands a lot, but some of the superlatives being thrown around just aren't true. His heading/movement/pace/whatever isn't exceptional or excellent. He's a reasonable striker, no more no less, really. And like many in our squad last season, his decent attributes (in an attacking sense) saw him score a lot of goals. It's true that his movement and (more prominently) his awareness is good, and he uses his pace better than many 'quick' strikers we've had in the past; and for that reason he scored plenty - particularly at home. But i can see him being nullified on a fairly regular basis last season.

One thing i'll definitely disagree with is that he's an excellent finisher. He isn't at all tbh, and that'll work against him next year. He's got a nack of being in the right place at the right time - like i've said, and it's why he scored a lot last season - but he's not an excellent finisher. The miss against Everton last season always springs to mind.

I'd definitely, definitely be happy with him as third or fourth choice next season though - given our situation.

Pretty much bang on the money. Lovenkrands is a very good lad and a good Championship player and avoids constructive criticism based on those two factors. Factually, there's nothing to support the claim that he's a PL striker, nothing.

Factually theres nothing to support the claim that Colo is a PL defender. Doesnt mean much, its all opinion.

I'll rephrase, there's nothing to support the claim that Lovenkrands is a top level striker in any league.

As I proved on the previous page, Lovenkrands record when he played upfront for us in a shit team was between 1 in 2 and 1 in 3. Although I think he'd struggle to sustain it quite as much, I think he'd get 8-10 goals in the premier league.

In a team running riot last season he managed a total of 5 goals against teams in the top half of the league. Admittedly he was fantastic against Plymouth and Barnsley, but what good will that do us next season?

I reckon that Loven hasnt been played upfront consistantly in a decent team while injury free for a number of years. Seems like the last time he was, he was scoring a decent amount in the champions league for Rangers.

Time has moved on, but think he could suprise most of us still.

What would you think of him (mainly) in the role of impact sub next season? I think there's plenty for him to exploit in the final 20 minutes of a game, particularly against some of the dross at the bottom.

We need better than Lovenkrands, come on. He's obviously not going to be 5th choice striker but we need at least 2 better strikers than him if we're to stay up. The squad we have now is worse than the one we had when we were relegated, which means we need to strenghen in the areas we are weakest, and strikers is one of those areas.

In a team running riot last season he managed a total of 5 goals against teams in the top half of the league. Admittedly he was fantastic against Plymouth and Barnsley, but what good will that do us next season?

Except that as far as i can tell he only played 8 games upfront against top 10 teams. Which makes that stat look pretty impressive instead.

We need better than Lovenkrands, come on. He's obviously not going to be 5th choice striker but we need at least 2 better strikers than him if we're to stay up. The squad we have now is worse than the one we had when we were relegated, which means we need to strenghen in the areas we are weakest, and strikers is one of those areas.

The quality of our squad was not the reason we got relegated though. Our current squad may be good enough to stay up without any addition atall, no one knows yet really.

The quality of our squad was not the reason we got relegated though. Our current squad may be good enough to stay up without any addition atall, no one knows yet really.

It wasn't a reason? :lol:

Poor management alone wouldn't get Chelsea relegated would it?

When he had started games for us up front he has given us a pretty good goal return. He wont be pulling up any trees next season but will be a decent option for us and if given the chances to play up front he will get us a few goals.

Given his style compared to our other forwards he is first choice at home unless we sign someone else but the idea of Nolan/vuckic playing off Carroll away from home does seem a decent different option away as loven does seem a bit of a homer, our midfield will be overrun and we will be lucky to pick up many who will improve the team on our budget or complete lack of.

There's also a ridiculously overhyped idea that you need to score shit loads of goals to stay up.

I'll say it again, Fulham's top PL scorer last season got 8 - Bolton's was the same. Wolves' top scorer got 9, Stoke's got 5 ffs.

Except that as far as i can tell he only played 8 games upfront against top 10 teams. Which makes that stat look pretty impressive instead.

Top 10? I said the top half, man. Use your calculator next time. And he played more than that anyway.

Wasn't that what people said about Hull, Birmingham, Wolverhampton etc? even Stoke

Hull could and should have gone down and did eventually. Birmingham, Stoke and Wolves have steel in their starting lineup that we don't, especially in midfield.

Guest JamesyJazz

There's also a ridiculously overhyped idea that you need to score s*** loads of goals to stay up.

I'll say it again, Fulham's top PL scorer last season got 8 - Bolton's was the same. Wolves' top scorer got 9, Stoke's got 5 ffs.

Nice post Jonny,LovenK aint no Torres,Rooney or Drogba but with decent service he'll score goals.We,in all honesty need a decent right back along with a solid replacement option for Enrique if unavailable.

Forget the negative thoughts people,we're gonna stay up!