Peter Løvenkrands

Rich

The quality of our squad was not the reason we got relegated though. Our current squad may be good enough to stay up without any addition atall, no one knows yet really.

It wasn't a reason? :lol:

Poor management alone wouldn't get Chelsea relegated would it?

Didnt say it was necessarily down to poor management either, though i doubt Kinnear helped much. Still the players didnt play at their full potential obviously. That team was more than good enough to stay up.

We're not Chelsea either, im sure Birmingham could have had a very different season than the one they had if they had massive outside issues going on.

In a team running riot last season he managed a total of 5 goals against teams in the top half of the league. Admittedly he was fantastic against Plymouth and Barnsley, but what good will that do us next season?

Except that as far as i can tell he only played 8 games upfront against top 10 teams. Which makes that stat look pretty impressive instead.

Top 10? I said the top half, man. Use your calculator next time. And he played more than that anyway.

Not relevant what you said. The point you're attempting to make is that he didnt perform against the better sides in the division obviously. Yet out of the top 5 teams he only played 3 times upfront against any of them & scored 3 goals according to the link you gave earlier.

He never played against leicester & two of the games he played against both cardiff & notts forest he was used as a winger. Theres nothing to base him not performing against the better teams on atall if played in the right position.

Lovenkrands isn't even Cameron Jerome.

Jeez, I am glad I dont have someone like you to rely on when the going gets tough. You are so negative. You have NO IDEA how Lovenkrands will go next season. If you did, you would be the God you tend tom portray yourself as.

His overall record supports the fact that given the service, he will score goals, whatever the opposition, be it Chelsea or Charlton. He is not a main striker but he has the ability to score goals. I remember the goal he scored against Middlesbrough in the PL the year we went down....../hit first time, on the half volley from a hard low cross. An excellent effort. Some of the goals he scored last season were brilliant. It doesnt matter who the opposition is, if he can create the space to have a crack at goal, he will generally get his efforts on target. Lets just wait and see.

Ronaldo...

I don't agree that there isn't enough goals in this team to stay up next year. We're going to be an unknown (as in no other team will know how we play now), and quite physical, and I do think the movement and finishing and decent crossing of Lovenkrands and the power of Carroll would see us stay up, nothing more though.

I do think you are right in your criticism of the overall quality of that strike pairing though, and of the two strikers, if we're only going to buy one new, that should be a striker that will be in more of a lovenkrands mould, someone to push him for his place, and hopefully, be an even better player so he keeps it and loven gets benched.

Lovenkarnds is a little older, and the step up will be a massive test, against the likes of Terry, Vidic etc etc he'll really struggle. Luckily for us he will plug away though, put himself about take people on, come out wide and look for Carroll or runners into the box, so I'm confident he can push 10 in a season if he ends up starting for us.

Like Dave though, I don't see us buying anyone better or more proven unfortunately

I think Loven will be fine off the bench with a few starts next year, like Ronaldo says, his overall play isnt really what you would demand.

However, he can finish (although he misses a hat load too) and gets in the right places more than not, does have a decent amount of pace. Poor mans version of Newcastle physio favourite Michael Owen.

Would be worried if he and Carroll were our best forward line next season tbh.

Guest Roger Kint

We're going to be an unknown (as in no other team will know how we play now)

Are you serious? We had one season in the Championship almost half of which was televised. Its not like we played on the moon for Gods sake, every club will know exactly who we have and how we play and that they could conga through our pedestrian midfield at will if they wished

Lovenkrands is a poor crosser of the ball, he creates very little.

Great cross for Harewood against Swansea. But that's the exception.

I'd have to agree with that. I mean seriously, what kind of cross ends up as far out as the back of the net. I rarely see anyone put a cross in that bad. :laugh:. In all seriousness though, Lovenkrands's crosses rarely meet one of our heads. His ability is certainly lacking in that department.

Lovenkrands is a poor crosser of the ball, he creates very little.

Great cross for Harewood against Swansea. But that's the exception.

I'd have to agree with that. I mean seriously, what kind of cross ends up as far out as the back of the net. I rarely see anyone put a cross in that bad. :laugh:. In all seriousness though, Lovenkrands's crosses rarely meet one of our heads. His ability is certainly lacking in that department.

You can't have been watching us very long. :lol:

Lovenkrands is incredibly quick off the mark, as i said, look at his goal vs Boro...and his heading is better than Carroll's...but that is mainly as Carroll's is piss-poor. Apart from Barnsley away (epic away crowd), i cant remember too many flick-ons that led to goals, but this can (and should) be improved upon.

Seriously, name better options upfront next season that we can realistically get than Carroll + Loven...itd cost a fair whack id say and we need the money elsewhere...

If by some miracle last year wasnt a blip and we do have a solid-ish defence now (settled atleast), then maybe we can do what other teams do and stay up by being solid defensively? Palace came up and AJ got like 20league goals, straight back down. Brum got top half last season ffs.

Lovenkrands is incredibly quick off the mark, as i said, look at his goal vs Boro...and his heading is better than Carroll's...but that is mainly as Carroll's is piss-poor. Apart from Barnsley away (epic away crowd), i cant remember too many flick-ons that led to goals, but this can (and should) be improved upon.

Seriously, name better options upfront next season that we can realistically get than Carroll + Loven...itd cost a fair whack id say and we need the money elsewhere...

If by some miracle last year wasnt a blip and we do have a solid-ish defence now (settled atleast), then maybe we can do what other teams do and stay up by being solid defensively? Palace came up and AJ got like 20league goals, straight back down. Brum got top half last season ffs.

Am I wrong in thinking Carroll's best attribute is his heading ability? I'm pretty sure a fair chunk of his goals were from headers and they weren't easy ones either. You say Carroll's flicks ons don't lead to many goals, but we were playing in a league where we had possession of the ball most of the time which meant we weren't simply kicking it up to Carroll like we probably will be a lot next season.

Am I wrong in thinking Carroll's best attribute is his heading ability? I'm pretty sure a fair chunk of his goals were from headers and they weren't easy ones either. You say Carroll's flicks ons don't lead to many goals, but we were playing in a league where we had possession of the ball most of the time which meant we weren't simply kicking it up to Carroll like we probably will be a lot next season.

carroll is an excellent header of the ball its his strongest attribute as a player i think half his goals were headers.

Don't really rate Carroll all that much but if we were to start the season in a 4-4-2 with Loven and Carroll up front I wouldn't be overly worried.  If we can get some good, creative wing play out of Routledge/Jonas and our main CM can play the ball around nicely we'll get more goals out of them than a lot of people in this thread are imagining.

I think Carroll could do pretty well next season, assuming we get another striker... and providing it doesn't all go to his head again that he's starting. His attitude changed remarkably in the second half of last season, after the January business, but there's always a danger there imo.

He's pretty much just a bog standard centre-forward at the minute. Not a target man, but there's definitely goals in him. He's alright with the donkey work too, and i've always thought his touch and technique is pretty decent. But we'll definitely need a more efficient go-between (from Mid-to-Att) than Lovenkrands, if Carroll's gonna have any hope of making an impact.

I think Jonas/Jose and Routledge can provide to a reasonable standard - so it's gonna be all about centre-mid and that second striker.

But we've known that for ages. If we don't upgrade those areas (right-back the next priority), i really do think it's gonna be a painful slog of a season.

I think Lovenkrands is about as good a striker as you can expect a club like us to have imo.

Exactly. What is everyone expecting? We arnt a powerhouse club  striving for top 4 and champions league anymore. We are going to be in a relegation battle and with this no capital outlay crap, we are in no position to sign top class players. I dont expect us to get any strikers far better than Lovenkrands, IF we do get another striker in im expecting him to be on par with Lovenkrands or slightly better.

I think Lovenkrands is about as good a striker as you can expect a club like us to have imo.

I assume you mean at the moment considering our current financial contraints, in which case you might be right.  IMO Lovenkrands is a below average Premiership striker, having said that if he's up for it and raring to prove himself he could do ok.  I'd still be disapointed if the transfer window closes and he's one of our first choice front two though.

Exactly. What is everyone expecting? We arnt a powerhouse club  striving for top 4 and champions league anymore. We are going to be in a relegation battle and with this no capital outlay crap, we are in no position to sign top class players. I dont expect us to get any strikers far better than Lovenkrands, IF we do get another striker in im expecting him to be on par with Lovenkrands or slightly better.

Its not as if we'd need to go for a top class player to get someone a lot better then Peter Lovenkrands.  But sadly I agree that we probably won't be signing anyone much better.

• 2 months later...

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2010/08/10/nufc-star-caught-driving-at-twice-speed-limit-72703-27032433/

THIS is the shameful moment Toon star Peter Lovenkrands was caught driving at twice the legal speed limit.

The striker reached speeds of 60mph as he raced down a busy stretch near to the Magpies’ Little Benton training ground.

Lovenkrands sped along the 30mph Benton Lane in his sporty Audi car when he was clocked by a speed camera.