RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I agree with what Teasy is saying, but i'm going to go off the other end and make a wild assumption too.

I looked at the game tonight and thought "Wow, that's exactly how we've played for the last season! Unattractive, scrappy football!" There was nothing there to suggest to me that we're dead certs to go down and anyone who says otherwise is either trying out for the RSC or just being a daft cunt.

Neither Boro nor Sheff United were anything special, both very suspect upfront and relied on the cloggers throughout their side to get the ball and create the few chances they had. Players like Barton and Guthrie will thrive in that type of game, it's the Ameobi's and Ryan Taylor's we've got to worry about.

Obviously, that's not to say we couldn't go down. If Hughton stays and the handful of half decent players we still have leave we're deep in the shite. At the minute though it's too early to be forecasting relegation.

Boro, Sheffield, and West Brom are arguably the three strongest teams in the division. We're not going down just because we can't beat them.

The Championship is "level" in the sense that there are a dozen teams or so that could be in the mix for promotion, but the gap between top table and bottom table is fucking huge.

There is very clearly a big chance we will be relegated again, we haven't yet seen the end of the cock-ups from "he who can't possibly be worse than fat fred," have we?

If the cockney wide-boy suddenly changes his spots, grows some balls, learns a bit about football and starts to do things properly, there is a chance we can be promoted, though that's a long-shot, obviously. Any prediction is going to look more sensible if it's closer to relegation than promotion, that's the reality of the situation the club is in. Whether that's because Ashley wants to run the club down as some sort of tax write-off against his cheap shops, or whether he is the most inept person ever to own a football club doesn't matter that much, in either of those scenario's the club is pretty much doomed to failure.

There's going to be plenty for the morons to boo about this coming season. I'm hoping these hangers-on ('cos that's all they are) decide to piss off and "support" another club.

We aren't going to go down but if Ashley doesn't sell I can see us ending up in the bottom half of the table. It's not being negative, it's just looking at the basic facts, we don't have enough goalscorers which means we'll be drawing a lot of games and winning too few to make a difference.

I don't think it's either vindicitiveness or ineptitude which has seen Ashley make so many mistakes btw brummie, it's just plain small-minded penny pinching. He's a frightened tight-fisted bastard basically.

The ironic thing is, if he spent a little more last summer, he'd be better off this summer. We'd still be in the Prem and probably could sell for more than  he is asking for now. But it looks like he and his team are too small minded to do that.

Can't believe how happy I was two summers ago when he took over compare to now. This fucking hurts, it hurts and I'm not from the region so for you locals it must be horrible. At times it feels when someone bigger and older than you is holding you at arms length and you are swinging furiously trying to punch the fucker knowing you got no or little hope.

Can't believe I stuck up for this piece of dirty after the whole Keegan affair. What a mug I feel now..

We won't go down.

that's what you said last season around the time of keegan's departure.

I hope you're right, though.

Difference is, it was questionable whether the players had the ability to stay up without even worrying about whether they had the fight (which I still don't feel was the problem tbh). This season, there isn't a shadow of a doubt we have the players to be nowhere near the bottom of the table.

We won't go down.

that's what you said last season around the time of keegan's departure.

I hope you're right, though.

Difference is, it was questionable whether the players had the ability to stay up without even worrying about whether they had the fight (which I still don't feel was the problem tbh). This season, there isn't a shadow of a doubt we have the players to be nowhere near the bottom of the table.

He thought we were too good to go down, but we did. He's thinking the same thing now.

There is no fucking difference.

Guest Wally_McFool

.... but the gap between top table and bottom table is fucking huge.

Its not huge at all mate.

Norwich Charlton and Southampton going down last season tell you that.

Guest Lets Dance

Why is our club not selling? Our supporter catchment area extends well outside the city limits so surely we have at least a handful of multi multi millionaires who could buy our club out individually or as a consortium?

The debts we are burdened with is the debt left over from FFS days as chairman, it's not like Ashley has pushed £100m debt onto the club since he bought it.

If Ashley is asking far too much for the club or is insisting on unrealistic terms then why havent any groups or individuals come out in the media to state that Ashley's stubborness is preventing the club from being sold. This wouldnt breach the non disclosure agreement as all interest in buying the club would be removed.

When I read the story about Moat buying the club I get the impression that he doesnt really want to own NUFC but feels he has to act before Ashley digs us into another lower division.  :facepalm:

The London media are getting to me! I've listened to talksport presenters state all summer that the reason we went down was that we have changed manager too often and the players were just not good enough to keep us up. No! They are the secondary reasons. The primary reason we went down is becasue of one man...Ashley. But he rarely gets a finger pointed at him. I think only George Calkin of the Times reports an accurate picture of what is going on with our club.

We havent been relegated for purely footballing reasons like when the mackems or boro have been relegated for example. Our decline has been massively accelerated by Ashley's mission to devestate our club and city.

Rant over...now where's that whisky and pain killers!

You have to seriously question the motives of an owner who not only tries to run away at the first sign of adversity but also does it in no apparent rush. Ashley could have  redeemed himself after Keegangate and relegation had he just gritted his teeth, rode the storm and brought in an able, long-term replacement manager. Instead, he's decided to do a runner on both occasions and the resulting periods of instability and ambiguity have done far more harm to this club than his other mistakes (Dennis Wise, KK etc). I'm honestly swaying over to the opinion that this man has it in for us.

Sticking it out would have been the better decision, although we can't be confident that the eventual outcome would have been different. A lot would have depended on what kind of effect a continued series of protests by the Keegan-supporting groups would have had on morale, on and off the field. That we don't know.

In a sense, he made a similar rod for his own back with Shearer, who had power to dictate his own terms, due to his standing with most fans. Ashley could have said - this is the only viable business plan, if you don't want it Alan, I'll find someone who does. Of course, he'd have then risked a backlash.

As a businessman, he's quite unorthodox, and his unsubtle strategies don't really work in a football club where there's a high degree of public involvement. He thought he would avoid any messing about and speed things up by saying unless you've got £100 million, don't bother. However, people then realise he's in trouble and can exploit it by underbidding and then feeding across information (eg the Profitable Group) that they've offered good money, and are going to do all sorts of marvellous things for the club, only nasty Mr Ashley won't let them. It's also possible that people have bid £100 million and then made excuses to drop the bid down in the final stages, knowing that Ashley is under increasing pressure to sell, both financially and from the point of view of pressure from the fans. It's a nasty business, but that's reality.

I think we're coming to the endgame. Ashley has to either come to terms with the fact that any sale is going to be a rip-off, or hang on for the long-term. It's no good him saying that he'll try to sell at the end of this season, it's now or never.

I don't believe for a second that he's messing about deliberately as an act of revenge. Just because you're a successful, wealthy man doesn't mean you always know what you're doing, or are in control of events. Your cock-ups are just on a different scale.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle/4536330.Ashley_ready_to_accept_a___20m_down_payment/

MIKE Ashley is ready to accept a £20m down payment in order to secure a buyer for Newcastle United.

The embattled Magpies owner, who last night sanctioned the £3m sale of fullback Habib Beye to Aston Villa, is willing to accept just a fifth of his asking price in an attempt to kick-start a sales process that is in danger of coming to a complete halt.

Ashley would then loan a buyer up to £80m, with an understanding that the money would be paid back within a period of two or three years.

Seymour Pierce, the investment brokers charged with the task of selling Newcastle, are understood to have contacted a number of private-equity investors in recent days to inform them of Ashley’s willingness to accept payment in installments.

The change in tack is not good news for Barry Moat, the Tyneside businessman who is part of a consortium that is hoping to tie up a deal for the Magpies.

Seymour Pierce recommended that Ashley accepts Moat’s bid earlier this week, and the businessman’s representatives met Seymour Pierce officials on Thursday to discuss their options.

However, Ashley’s decision to look elsewhere suggests he does not regard Moat to be a viable bidder.

If an alternative option does not present itself by the end of next week, Ashley is prepared to take Newcastle United off the market until January at the earliest.

The move would not go down well with Newcastle fans, but would at least lead to the appointment of a permanent manager and potentially result in the arrival of a small number of signings.

For the moment, Chris Hughton remains in interim control, and having recorded the only win of his first two spells as manager at West Brom, the former Spurs coach is confident his side will hit the ground running when they kick off their Championship campaign at the Hawthorns this evening.

“The feeling I get from the players is that they’re determined to do well at West Brom and nothing else matters,”

said Hughton. “We’ll be going down there confident we can win the game.

“We’ve had a good training group and, contrary to what’s been said, the atmosphere has been good. It’s been very good.

All you can do is get on with the job in hand.”

With Nicky Butt nursing a broken hand, Alan Smith will skipper the Magpies for the first time in a senior fixture.

The former Leeds midfielder is still to score his first senior goal for the club, but Hughton insists he possesses the leadership qualities Newcastle will need if they are to push for promotion.

“Alan’s had a good pre-season, he’s respected by all the lads, and he’s a player of experience and that lends itself to that position, he said.

“In this period, I have to name a captain. We all know if it (the managerial situation) changes, somebody might have their own ideas, but with Nicky out, for me it’s the right choice.”

The latest player to quit the club is Beye, who last night signed a three-year deal with Aston Villa after a hectic day of negotiations that saw him discussing his future with officials from Villa and Hull.

Villa matched Hull’s £3m bid and with the Tigers reluctant to offer the Senegal international a three-year deal, Beye opted to travel to the Midlands to discuss personal terms.

The former Marseille skipper made 54 appearances for the Magpies after moving from the Stade Velodrome in August 2007.

Like Beye, Sebastian Bassong, who joined Tottenham late on Thursday in an £8m deal that could eventually rise beyond £10m, voiced his displeasure at life on Tyneside at the start of the week.

But having been officially unveiled at White Hart Lane yesterday, the 23-year-old claimed he had no regrets about his season at St James’ Park.

“It has been an interesting year and I learned a lot at Newcastle,” said Bassong.

“I’m really happy to have played for Newcastle, but had to move to improve myself and make a step forward in my career.

“I’m sure Spurs will be a good thing for me. The manager is famous with a good reputation, that is why I didn’t hesitate to come here.”

Guest sicko2ndbest

I really dont think it is about revenge.

His passion is his sports direct business as our passion is NUFC. Im not saying he dosnt care i am just saying it is not his priority. The fact is that he wants to come out of this with some credibility. He is a very very stubborn man as his transfer dealings (ie Dyer) has shown. He is quite prepared to risk any deal falling through because of his stubborn pig headedness. He is the type of man who would sell for 50mil next season under the radar instead of selling for 80mil now

He will stay on and we will finish mid table

I really hope this 20m deposit story is just that, a story. Any new bidder coming forward now would have to prove they had every chance of repaying the other 80m over the next 2-3 years and that all adds more weeks to the process. Unless, perhaps, a bidder that has already pulled out comes back in to the game. The way I see it, anyone enticed in by a £20m deposit sale hasn't got the money to buy the club outright, so how can they buy players and pay back Ashley over the forthcoming seasons?