RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

According to Sports week on Radio 5 this morning (and on the radio 5 sports news) they are saying that Ashley may take the club back off the market and if he does he may appoint O'leary as Manager

Yep that's on the ticker on the BBC site as well.

oh dearie, o'leary.

if we are pluging those depths i'd rather george graham but then again anyone bar kinnear or john gregory.

Seems from the reports in the papers, Ashley will deicide when he gets back from holiday, whether or not to accept Moat's bid, which Harris clearly thinks he should, or to take the club off the market and appoint a rubbish manager.

The BBC site is wank these days.

"Mike Ashley could stay at Newcastle and appoint David O'Leary as manager, the BBC understands"

What kind of breaking news is that. He could appoint Jack Charlton with Robbie Savage as DOF, not even the man himself knows what he's going to do.

According to Sports week on Radio 5 this morning (and on the radio 5 sports news) they are saying that Ashley may take the club back off the market and if he does he may appoint O'leary as Manager

Yep that's on the ticker on the BBC site as well.

:undecided:

Was thinking after the final whistle yesterday that Ashley was probably thinking "Aha!  If we can get a draw in probably our hardest game of the season without a manager, then with a brilliant manager like Joe Kinnear we'll walk this league, winning every game.  In fact, we could probably sell a few more players and be fine.  I'd be an idiot to sell now when I can ask for £400m again when we're in the Premier League.  Mike, you're a genius!"

Absolutely spot on.

What is so bad about O'Leary? He did ok at Leeds and wasn't that bad with Villa.

How do you know Mrs O'leary wouldn't have achieved at least as good results?

how do you know Mrs Ferguson or Mrs Mourinho wouldn't have achieved as good as their husbands ?

Unfortunately the guy has a point, our perception outside of the area is really poor. We are now seen as the kneejerk Geordies that will snap and protest at the slightest thingand don't like hearing a bad word said about us.

As i said at the time protesting was the daftest idea going. Not only would it achieve absolutely jack all, it would give us a really poor image to anyone that had even considered managing/owning us.

Someone listens to Talk Sport and reads too much Louise Taylor.

The only people who spout that s**** are the lazy journos who don't have a clue about the area.

I think that's his point entirely. He's not saying that's what he thinks himself he's saying that's what other people think and it's for exactly the reasons you've identified.

Thank you Indi, that is exactly my point. The press in the UK have so much power, as Napoleon said "I fear the newspapers more than a thousand bayonets."

This is a perfect example of the power of the press and the sponge-like lazy readers. Back in the day when Keegan had the team playing flowing, attacking football we were everyone's favourite second club, the neutral loved to watch us and Sky dubbed us 'The Entertainers'. Purely because Sky termed us in such a fashion many more would have turned on to see what the deal was.

Like everything else in this country, something/someone gets built up too high and it's time for jealousy and envy to kick in and some sections start to knock down the edifice they have built. Before you know it everything has come full circle and the object of previous adulation is now one of scorn and ridicule. The press do all that, others just read it and absorb.

That's where the image of Newcastle United is now, not very popular. Not winning anything also contributed to the fall from grace, or accelerated it at least.

Either way we should find out this week, there has still be no denial by Moat, which is still good news. Still wouldn't be surprised to be in this situation next week.

I agree with that, at least on the Moat thing.

We'll probably still not know what's going to happen overall though.

Unfortunately the guy has a point, our perception outside of the area is really poor. We are now seen as the kneejerk Geordies that will snap and protest at the slightest thingand don't like hearing a bad word said about us.

As i said at the time protesting was the daftest idea going. Not only would it achieve absolutely jack all, it would give us a really poor image to anyone that had even considered managing/owning us.

Someone listens to Talk Sport and reads too much Louise Taylor.

The only people who spout that s**** are the lazy journos who don't have a clue about the area.

I think that's his point entirely. He's not saying that's what he thinks himself he's saying that's what other people think and it's for exactly the reasons you've identified.

Thank you Indi, that is exactly my point. The press in the UK have so much power, as Napoleon said "I fear the newspapers more than a thousand bayonets."

This is a perfect example of the power of the press and the sponge-like lazy readers. Back in the day when Keegan had the team playing flowing, attacking football we were everyone's favourite second club, the neutral loved to watch us and Sky dubbed us 'The Entertainers'. Purely because Sky termed us in such a fashion many more would have turned on to see what the deal was.

Like everything else in this country, something/someone gets built up too high and it's time for jealousy and envy to kick in and some sections start to knocking down the edifice they have built. Before you know it everything has come full circle and the object of previous adulation is now one of scorn and ridicule. The press do all that, others just read it and absorb.

That's where the image of Newcastle United is now, not very popular. Not winning anything also contributed to the fall from grace, or accelerated it at least.

the press turned on us because we stopped being the entertainers and weren't some upstarts who had just been promoted. once we started behaving like billy bigshots they were going to treat us as what we were, a big under achieving club which in some quarters thought itself bigger than it was.

Guest Jungle Barry

Here's what was printed in the digest section of the times business paper...

"TYNESIDE businessman Barry Moat has begun talks with a number of private investors about joining his bid for Newcastle United football club, which he hopes to conclude in the next few days.

It is understood that owner Mike Ashley is still holding out for £100m for the club but is willing to lend £50m-£60m to a buyer. Moat is thought to have between £20m and £25m of his own money, leaving a potential shortfall of at least £15m. "

Here's what was printed in the digest section of the times business paper...

"TYNESIDE businessman Barry Moat has begun talks with a number of private investors about joining his bid for Newcastle United football club, which he hopes to conclude in the next few days.

It is understood that owner Mike Ashley is still holding out for £100m for the club but is willing to lend £50m-£60m to a buyer. Moat is thought to have between £20m and £25m of his own money, leaving a potential shortfall of at least £15m. "

So that is saying he doesn't have backers yet, which goes against everything already reported. Would think Moat would at least have some insurances of possible backers before even thinking about taking over.

David Craig on SSN, spoken to Llambias.

- 'No comment' on the Ashley to stay story

- In talks with 'two major consortiums' over the sale of the club

- 'No comment' from O'Leary, but he does want to return to football

Moat + Dubai lot.

Nothing we didn't already know.

Guest Jungle Barry

- 'No comment' from O'Leary, but he does want to return to football

groundhog day

Not sure about a potential owner desperately getting enough funds together to pay a deposit on the club with the vast amount still to be paid. Doesn't hold much hope of the investment in the squad we seriously need.

Not sure about a potential owner desperately getting enough funds together to pay a deposit on the club with the vast amount still to be paid. Doesn't hold much hope of the investment in the squad we seriously need.

We're not going to get a sugar daddy mate, get used to it.

Anyone know what in talks actually means?

I thought they deal would go like this:

Ashley: We want £100m

Moat: Hoo man, Am not deeing any deal for that man, here's £50m

Ashley: £75m?

Moat: Deal! Someone gis Shearer's numba!

What else happens?