RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Newcastle takeover talks reach critical stage

• David O'Leary linked with team if Mike Ashley keeps control

• Alan Shearer will be in charge if Barry Moat buys the club

Simon Williams

Sunday 9 August 2009 22.00 BST

Alan Shearer is still awaiting a resolution in the Newcastle saga. Photograph: Owen Humphreys/PA

Newcastle United have denied reports that David O'Leary will be installed as manager should takeover talks with the Tyneside businessman Barry Moat collapse this week. O'Leary has been heavily linked with the vacant position at St James' Park in recent days and although the club's owner, Mike Ashley, will not appoint a manager at this stage, he will do so this week if the Moat deal collapses.

Sources have indicated that Ashley has already considered potential candidates, but deny he has made a decision to offer it to O'Leary, who has not managed a club since leaving Aston Villa in 2006.

Joe Kinnear, who was forced out of Newcastle by health problems earlier this year, Alan Curbishley and Gordon Strachan are being looked at as alternatives and all are currently out of work.

Should Ashley appoint his fourth manager in two troubled years it would mean the sports retailer, who is due to return from a holiday in Hawaii tomorrow, has taken the ailing Championship club off the market for the second time in seven months because of a failure to find a buyer. There is a growing sense of urgency surrounding the takeover, with Ashley deciding that a decision needs to be made this week.

Although Newcastle managed a 1-1 draw with West Brom yesterday the first-team squad is desperately short on numbers and Ashley and the managing director, Derek Llambias, know players will need to be signed by the new manager before the transfer window closes in just two weeks' time.

That has increased the pressure on Ashley to accept Moat's offer, which has been recommended to him by Seymour Pierce, the bank in charge of the sale, as its preferred bid.

As a result Ashley is willing to re-open negotiations in an attempt to break the deadlock. Talks will resume tomorrow in the hope of reaching a resolution, although Moat has still not put together a package that meets Ashley's stringent £100m asking price.

Alan Shearer will definitely become manager if Moat is successful and the former Newcastle captain is set to press both parties for answers, having watched the game against West Bromwich as a frustrated pundit for the BBC.

Shearer is adamant he still wants to take on the job despite being stuck in limbo since the end of May and admitting the "seven or eight players" he had wanted to sign "have all gone to other clubs". He has privately indicated the next 48 hours will either make or break his bid to become permanent manager after an eight-game stint at the end of last season.

Given the bad blood that has developed between them over the summer, Shearer – who has not had any contact with Ashley or Llambias for more than two weeks – would be reluctant to work for the Ashley regime if the club were taken off the market.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/aug/09/newcastle-deny-david-oleary-reports

Just came off the phone to my ITK - He said we're going to be taken over this Wednesday, providing everything goes to plan. He said Barry Moat is edging closer and closer and there's just one or two things to iron out before the deal goes through. There'll be a press-conference at 4pm on Wednesday. My ITK is called Simon -that's all I can tell you.

http://www.thelifeofluxury.com/images/simon%20cowell.jpg

"Well Mr Moat....it's three yes'es"

The way I see it Llambias can't comment at the moment. this sounds hopeful to me that a deal is about to be concluded but why speculate? The season has started so just enjoy the football and wait for the club to make a real announcement.

No need for another 300 pages before then is there?

Guest gjohnson

Think it's probably realistic to conclude that outside of Llambias and Seymour Price that no-one actually knows what's going on.  To be frank, aside from the identity of actual bidders and how much they're offering i doubt even Mike Ashley knows what's going on as it's clear he spends most of his time dealing with his other businesses

The way I see it Llambias can't comment at the moment. this sounds hopeful to me that a deal is about to be concluded but why speculate? The season has started so just enjoy the football and wait for the club to make a real announcement.

No need to discuss the potential lineup for Reading. We'll find out an hour before the game anyway.

No need to speculate who's leaving and who's staying. We'll find out soon enough anyway.

No need to discuss the potential lineup for Reading. We'll find out an hour before the game anyway.

No need to speculate who's leaving and who's staying. We'll find out soon enough anyway.

exactly.

lets shut the board down.

At least it looks like there's going to be a decision one way or another this week. I think Ashley will have to sell because his dithering has seriously hampered the re-building job required so I doubt he will want to do it.

exactly.

A bit different with the being a takeover though. We all keep getting excited and then have our hopes dashed, when it doesn't materialise. Why do it to yourself? The club will be sold in due course. In the meantime, enjoy the football.

exactly.

A bit different with the being a takeover though. We all keep getting excited and then have our hopes dashed, when it doesn't materialise. Why do it to yourself? The club will be sold in due course. In the meantime, enjoy the football.

Something other than this takeover comes to mind.

Hint: Your last sentence

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

I think he'll allow the takeover to go ahead given that he's loosing so much money and has done over the past year. I still think he'll want to keep a foot in the door some how, maybe as a partner or investor with Moat as this was what he always wanted and after all we are still a good investment.   We'll know tomorrow by my reconing when Moat takes control and gets Shearer onboard.

For f*** sake man, just sell for £70m!

He's gonna get £100m back anyway due to the debt-loan he gave us...

I don't think we should sell for £70m either.

Its about status and pride as much as anything. If Ronaldo is worth more than our whole club than what does it say? One player for god sake. That's why Ashley holding out for the 100 is important for the club IMO.

Its about status and pride as much as anything. If Ronaldo is worth more than our whole club than what does it say? One player for god sake. That's why Ashley holding out for the 100 is important for the club IMO.

:lol: Guard has slipped

Who gives a toss about Ronaldo? Honestly. Its about us, not Ronaldo, Man Utd, Micheal Owen or Real Madrid. Us.

I don't care if we sell for £1, £100 or £100m....as long as we get that greedy cunt out of Newcastle United!

Guest The Libertine

:lol: Guard has slipped

So if we sell for 70 mill tomorrow, you'd be happy

yes. go away.

Who gives a toss about Ronaldo? Honestly. Its about us, not Ronaldo, Man Utd, Micheal Owen or Real Madrid. Us.

I don't care if we sell for £1, £100 or £100m....as long as we get that greedy c*** out of Newcastle United!

if theres one thing he can't be accused of in relation to NUFC its being greedy.

:kinnear: