ESPN UK wins Premier League TV rights - Free on Virgin Media's Top package.

Interpolic

ESPN have won the lot from Setanta.;

ESPN has bought the rights to the 46 English Premier League games in the 2009/10 season that were to have been shown by Setanta.

Disney-owned ESPN has won the two packages of games shown on Saturday teatimes and Monday evenings.

It has also won the 23 games per season that Setanta was due to show from 2010/11 to 2012/13.

Glad I won't have to be buying that next year :thup:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8113702.stm

Time (for us) to be taken over by Americans.

ESPN has bought the rights to the 46 English Premier League games in the 2009/10 season that were to have been shown by Setanta.

Disney-owned ESPN has won the two packages of games shown on Saturday teatimes and Monday evenings.

It has also won the 23 games per season that Setanta was due to show from 2010/11 to 2012/13.

It doesn't matter,  they only won premiership games..

:cry:

Next season though, give it a year to really break American interest, we'd be perfectly placed.

Not sure how it works in the US, but surely this will only extend coverage over there?

Is ESPN available on Sky?

It is,  but supposedly the games will be shown on a new standalone channel.

With a subscription?

Would assume so.  Wonder if they'll go for Blue Square premier rights too,  and just create an English football channel.

Guest toonlass

Does that mean that the Premiership is now a mickey mouse league?

Next season though, give it a year to really break American interest, we'd be perfectly placed.

Not sure how it works in the US, but surely this will only extend coverage over there?

It won't, the PL sell packages to individual countries, and ESPN already have their own broadcasting rights to the USA in place.

It won't, the PL sell packages to individual countries, and ESPN already have their own broadcasting rights to the USA in place.

Aye but alot of prem league games in the States are on Setanta! hah.

I guess it'll be a wait and see affair. I imagine the US coverage of the Premier League would decrease alot without Setanta in the picture. Not sure anyone else would pick up as many games.

Winter Saturday mornings are dominated by college football over here. I have no idea where they intend to show these matches.

They're not. ESPN dominates the US anyway. They'll probaly just make another channel or something.

I'm thinking either Classic or Deportes. I'd be shocked if the games were <i>live</i> on either ABC, ESPN, or ESPN2. Maybe the 8am game, but after 10, it's college ball until 8pm, isn't it?

ESPN has been busy!

La Liga on ESPN

By Jack Bell

ESPN, perhaps stung by the loss of the rights to carry games from the UEFA Champions League, on Monday announced that it has purchased the rights to a significant number of matches from Spain’s La Liga from GolTV.

GolTV, a premium subscription channel that offers 24-hour soccer coverage from around the world in both Spanish and English, has carried Spanish league games for the past several years.

With the addition of Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaká by Real Madrid, La Liga has become an even more desirable TV property. The majority of the La Liga games on the ESPN family of networks will be available on its broadband service, 360.com, which will carry 114 games. An additional 95 matches will be shown on ESPN’s Spanish-language channel, Deportes. The matches carried by ESPN Deportes will be simulcast in English on ESPN360.com. ESPN2 will carry about 20 games.

The deal is seen as an attempt by ESPN to increase the distribution of Deportes via more cable networks and a way for GolTV, which has limited distribution, to recoup some of its investments.

“La Liga is the platinum sports property on Spanish-language television,” Lino Garcia, the general manager of ESPN Deportes, said in a statement. “No other European football league can match La Liga in attracting large audiences on Spanish-language television, and we are thrilled to bring all the action live to Hispanic soccer fans throughout the U.S.”

The rights to the Champions League recently went to the Fox networks (which include Fox Soccer Channel, FX and Fox Sports Net channels), with the broadband component to be handled in North American by Setanta.

ESPN has the rights to several FIFA events, including the current Confederations Cup, next year’s World Cup and the Women’s World Cup, in addition to the European Championship and Major League Soccer games.

GolTV is based in Florida and, in addition to games from Spain, carries matches from the German Bundesliga, Brazil and other Latin American countries. It also carries South American World Cup qualifying matches in partnership with SCP Worldwide, a New York-based company run by the former N.B.A. executive Dave Checketts (who also runs Real Salt Lake of M.L.S. and the St. Louis Blues of the N.H.L.).

Assume if we get the Premiership games, it will be the same setup.

:lol: It kills me that as soon as we go down, the sport gets a solid footing in this country. It couldn't have been any other way!

edit: Every article implies that the Premier League stuff is UK only.

edit edit: FSC get the Champions League for three years starting next year. So no more Tommy Smyth and his onion bag, but also no more Derek Rae.

edit edit edit: :indi: <-click

Wait...what? ESPN lost the Champions League? Does this mean these games won't be on basic cable? That's really poor man. ESPN360 was a lifesaver for a university student like me as well. This could be good as far as La Liga and Premier League though. Anything that means more free television games is a good thing. Hopefully Tommy Smyth develops permanent laryngitis or something though.

Do you know if anyone is picking up Ligue 1 next year. Marseille are my second team and I assume if anyone grabbed the rights, they'd be on alot.

Wait...what? ESPN lost the Champions League? Does this mean these games won't be on basic cable? That's really poor man. ESPN360 was a lifesaver for a university student like me as well. This could be good as far as La Liga and Premier League though. Anything that means more free television games is a good thing. Hopefully Tommy Smyth develops permanent laryngitis or something though.

Do you know if anyone is picking up Ligue 1 next year. Marseille are my second team and I assume if anyone grabbed the rights, they'd be on alot.

Only thing I found on Google news was something about Ligue 1 being shown in the Mideast and Asia. If they lose La Liga, GOL might go for it. You can only show so much fucking Bundesliga.

US fans, you seem to be missing the point. This news story affects UK only, you aren't going to see any more or any less PL games in the USA.

ESPN has also reached a distribution deal with BSkyB, which will screen the Premier League games it was awarded today from next season and beyond.

The US company said it had reached an agreement with Sky, but would also make the games "widely available across multiple pay-TV platforms".

ESPN added that the Sky deal was a "first step" in its distribution strategy, which suggest that further deals with cable operator Virgin Media, and other digital TV operators including Freeview are likely to be struck.

ESPN also said that as part of the Sky arrangement, BSkyB would make games available to "commercial customers", which implies that the pay-TV giant will sell games to pubs on ESPN's behalf. Sky had a similar arrangement with Setanta.

I get really excited about ESPN broadcasting in the US until my brain gets kicked back into shape, ala the post below. Ack.

Who gives a f*** about watching the Premier League anyways?