ESPN UK wins Premier League TV rights - Free on Virgin Media's Top package.

Interpolic

Guest toonlass

Their are rumours flying around that Rangers, yes Rangers could be one of the 3 SPL teams to be under threat of going under if Setanta goes.

Now THAT'S some good news, right Toonlass?

That is shite. Rangers will not go under

Unlike their fans, Rangers will not go down easily....

Eh, Toonlass? ;)

You tell me monkey lover

Their are rumours flying around that Rangers, yes Rangers could be one of the 3 SPL teams to be under threat of going under if Setanta goes.

Eh, Toonlass? ;)

You tell me monkey lover

:lol: More a monkey spanker, tbh...

Guest toonlass

Eh, Toonlass? ;)

You tell me monkey lover

:lol: More a monkey spanker, tbh...

If you say so.

Well they're not in administration yet.  Part of my shite job is sending out alerts when companies go iinto administration before the majority know, and I haven't had to yet for Setanta.  Did LGV the other day before most though.

Edit: aye, not LGV, LDV - I've blatantly been paying attention.

I hope they fuck off soon if only so I can cancel my subscription. Ringing up they tell you you have to send a letter or email and then it takes 30 days. They've absolutely no idea about customer service.

You have to be spectacularly stupid to think this is good for football.

good for the soul of football though

In what way does a monopoly provider and majority funder of football clubs improve things?

it's another sign of the money madness coming to a close.

And it doesn't matter if it takes a load of clubs with it?

if it does it could well be argued it was going to happen anyway, take a look around.

Gibberish. If the banks had lent it money, it would have survived to fight another day and make the adjustments needed.

The demand to watch will always be there.

the demand to watch may always be there but not at the prices it was reaching...hence why setanta couldn't pick up the ammount of subscribers necessary to avoid going tits up.

Absolutely. That is why I cancelled last year, if I want to be preached at for a high price I can always go to the local Kingdom Hall. The commentary was horrific.

I'll spell it out for you. The high price charged reflects the unit price paid to sky and virgin. Sky and Virgin used their duopolistic power to extract a deal from Setanta that made their business model very fragile, by minimising their margins.

This also meant that Setanta could not invest in decent commentators or presenters as they cant pay them much.

Complaining about the price of Setanta is merely a complaint against the platform providers.

Shouldn't the Competition Commission have something to say about all this then?

"When the European Commission ruled that one broadcaster could not own all six of the Premier League packages in 2006, it looked like Sky's dominance might finally be threatened.

But arguably the intervention of the competition authorities has only pushed up the price of sports broadcasting rights and made subscribers' bills more expensive.

Setanta has already missed a £3million payment on its £125million contract with Scottish Premier League and a £30million cheque is due to the Premier League this Friday.

Emergency meetings have been held this week and last night it stopped taking subscriptions on line - signalling its demise could be imminent. It has held talks with Disney-owned broadcaster ESPN but so far no deal has been struck.

Setanta's collapse could have major financial ramifications for football clubs. The rights would probably be reauctioned and it might open the door to ESPN but there is no certainty they would fetch the same amount. Either way, Sky will reign on.

The spotlight is now on broadcasting watchdog Ofcom, which is due to publish the results of its review into the pay-TV market by the end of June, and how far it will go in trying to reduce Sky's dominance. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1191990/CITY-FOCUS-Setanta-finds-price-fright.html

:thup:

Didn't Setanta purchase the package from the Premier League though, rather than Sky/Virgin? Or do you mean Sky/Virgin pushed their own prices up knowing Setanta would be fucked when the Premier League demanded similar amounts for the other package?

In any case, it looks like deciding Sky shouldn't be allowed to own all the rights is going to cost everyone a lot of money.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/5492242/Setanta-founders-attempt-last-ditch-rescue.html

Setanta founders attempt last-ditch rescue

Setanta founders Leonard Ryan and Michael O’Rourke are attempting a last-ditch rescue of the sports broadcaster as it comes close to collapse.

The Dublin-based business faces falling into administration within the next few days if it cannot secure new finance. Deloitte, its accountant, is on hand to act as administrator.

A rescue package from the founders, who are part of a larger consortium, would need to be at least £100m. Industry sources said that the founders would not provide the funding themselves, but it was last night unclear who their backers were.

The news came after Setanta yesterday blocked access to new subscriptions on its website.

Setanta’s fate has been in the balance for weeks now and with a multi-million pound payment to the Premier League looming this week there have been growing concerns that the company will fail without fresh funding from its investors.

In addition to its Premier League and SPL service, Setanta also broadcasts a number of sports cricket, golf and rugby union.

In April, Setanta held talks with private equity firms, including Carlyle, in a bid to raise funds. It is also reported to have tried to sell an equity stake to companies including BT and ESPN, Disney’s sports business.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/5492242/Setanta-founders-attempt-last-ditch-rescue.html

Setanta founders Leonard Ryan and Michael O’Rourke are attempting a last-ditch rescue of the sports broadcaster as it comes close to collapse.

The Dublin-based business faces falling into administration within the next few days if it cannot secure new finance. Deloitte, its accountant, is on hand to act as administrator.

A rescue package from the founders, who are part of a larger consortium, would need to be at least £100m. Industry sources said that the founders would not provide the funding themselves, but it was last night unclear who their backers were.

The news came after Setanta yesterday blocked access to new subscriptions on its website.

Setanta’s fate has been in the balance for weeks now and with a multi-million pound payment to the Premier League looming this week there have been growing concerns that the company will fail without fresh funding from its investors.

In addition to its Premier League and SPL service, Setanta also broadcasts a number of sports cricket, golf and rugby union.

In April, Setanta held talks with private equity firms, including Carlyle, in a bid to raise funds. It is also reported to have tried to sell an equity stake to companies including BT and ESPN, Disney’s sports business.

Hey fuck Setanta, there's something more fun you could do with that kind of cash...

Hey fuck Setanta, there's something more fun you could do with that kind of cash...

:lol:

Maybe the Profitable Group will put their hat in the ring.

Richard Scudamore, the Premier League's chief executive, has suggested that the league will not "miss a heartbeat" if a club the size of Newcastle United is relegated on Sunday

I guess all us Mags quitting Setanta has had zero impact then!!!!!

:thup:

Didn't Setanta purchase the package from the Premier League though, rather than Sky/Virgin? Or do you mean Sky/Virgin pushed their own prices up knowing Setanta would be fucked when the Premier League demanded similar amounts for the other package?

In any case, it looks like deciding Sky shouldn't be allowed to own all the rights is going to cost everyone a lot of money.

Sounds to me like Sky/Virgin charged too much to transmit Setanta, as presumably a company that much smaller wouldn't have the ability to get itself on everyone's TV without piggybacking someone else's signal. If the other two charged the world for this then presumably it would leave Setanta needing an unrealistic number of subscribers.

Sky & Virgin charged too much!!!! As they are the two main formats for pay-tv you would think the chaps running Shitanta would know they would have to pay a top £££'s esp to SKY, who were there main rival for sports events & a company Setanta used to poach key staff from. The main reason they are in trouble is there focus shifted to be mainstream rather than being a station that looked after exiles or showed sports/events other did not.

Leonard Ryan? Of Ryanair? Meh. Horrible company like Setanta, I didn't realise he had a connection with Setanta but it makes sense.

I've cancelled my DD, they emailed me to say I was supposed to wait 30 days but let them arrest me.

I knew it was a mistake to subscribe when I phoned up initially and got a 16 year old from Fife who sniffed all the way through the call and if that wasn't bad enough when I asked to speak to her supervisor because she couldn't answer a question I asked she cut me off. They deserve to fail tbh for employing snotty 16 year olds who aren't trained properly and earn about 5 quid a week. :dave:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8099815.stm

Endemol to discuss Setanta stake

Dutch media giant Endemol, the maker of hit show Big Brother, is in talks to take a substantial stake in ailing Irish sports broadcaster Setanta.

Endemol is believed to be interested in taking a stake of up to 49% in the company, along with other investors.

It is not clear how much Endemol would pay for such a stake.

Setanta has not met subscriber targets, and has lost some broadcast rights for English Premier League games, to whom it must make a £30m payment on Monday.

The instalment is the latest tranche of cash due in its £392m, three-year contract with the league.

On Friday Access Industries, controlled by Russian American Len Blavatnik, tabled a £20m bid for a 51% share in Setanta.

He and other investors are now carrying out intense "due diligence" (examination of Setanta's books) which should be completed by 19 June.

Setanta, which has rights to broadcast English Premier League football as well as the Scottish Premier League and Guinness premiership rugby, suspended taking new subscriptions last Wednesday after a major downturn in the economy led to a shortfall in customers.

It only gained one of the six English premiership TV packages from 2010, and has missed payments to both the FA and the Scottish FA.

Setanta has 1.3m UK subscribers, which is short of a target of 1.9m at which it is said to break even but ahead of the number achieved by Sky in its first two years in business.