Selling players without a manager?

Dave

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/newcastle-have-bidders-lining-up-says-harris-1699256.html

Alan Shearer returns from his holiday today still unsure of his future at the club. The news that Ashley has hired the First Artists agency to begin a sale of a number of the 15 players on the club's books who earn more than £50,000 a week is unlikely to ease Shearer's fears over taking on the manager's position full time.

Er...

Good idea?

Dunno, strange one, maybe we just can't wait.... depends on the stage the Shearer talks have reached I suppose. We will have to sell many players anyway, maybe some the manager would rather keep, so may as well get started.

If they are doing that I hope they are taking Shearers advice or at least some of the backroom staff who should in turn consult him.

Agree with this ,if Shearer is going to be manager he wont want players sold who he intends to use next season and why should Ashley care when he is bailing out anyway.

Ironically this is probably one of the only times when selling players without the manager is almost acceptable.

I mean, we'll have to shift anyone who we get a good bid for anyway, and anyone on certain wages, so if it has to happen we may as well get it started.

Ironically this is probably one of the only times when selling players without the manager is almost acceptable.

I mean, we'll have to shift anyone who we get a good bid for anyway, and anyone on certain wages, so if it has to happen we may as well get it started.

The first (only?) players we'll receive decent bids for are the ones any manager worth his salt would want to keep.

Do you trust Ashley and gang to resist offers based on the wishes of a non-existant manager? I fucking don't.

The first (only?) players we'll receive decent bids for are the ones any manager worth his salt would want to keep.

Do you trust Ashley and gang to resist offers based on the wishes of a non-existant manager? I fucking don't.

No, not at all, what I mean is that we might have to sell everyone we get a decent bid for anyway, even if a manager did want to keep them. So if that's the reality then we may as well get going on it ASAP.

You're completely right that the players we would rather keep might be the first ones to go, but that might happen anyway, could be the inevitable result of relegation.

Wouldn't surprise me if this has been done without Shearer's knowledge anyway. It's not like there's no previous of this kind of thing. :rolleyes:

I know, I'm not agreeing with the idea, just saying that if the reality is that players will be sold regardless then it might even be better to get the situation with the squad a bit clearer before the new manager signs on.

Wouldn't surprise me if this has been done without Shearer's knowledge anyway. It's not like there's no previous of this kind of thing. :rolleyes:

I know, I'm not agreeing with the idea, just saying that if the reality is that players will be sold regardless then it might even be better to get the situation with the squad a bit clearer before the new manager signs on.

The trouble is what brief would they be working towards.  Presumably to maximise revenue at all costs.  Selling players needs to be done on the basis of building a team for the next season.  If an independent source sells all our best players and we are left with the dross that they cannot sell, it will be even more difficult to attract a manager when he looks at the players he has to work with and with probably all the best potential signings having already been snapped up.

I think they should appoint Shearer - even on a short-term contract he if agrees - to oversee this period.  At least he has the club's best interests at heart and will be looking at it from a "manager's" point of view - and then if a new buyer comes in and does not want him, it would not be too expensive to replace him.  The downside to that is players would be reluctant to sign not knowing who the manager is going to be long-term.

The trouble is what brief would they be working towards.  Presumably to maximise revenue at all costs.  Selling players needs to be done on the basis of building a team for the next season.

Completely agree, I just think the financial reality might mean we have to think of money first at the moment. We will likely lose our best players, that's what happens to big clubs who get relegated... not sure any manager could prevent it.

Considering everything that has happened in past transfer windows, how can anyone believe this will be nothing more than blatant asset stripping of the club?

Ashley to suddenly become an estute player in the market, get rid of the chaff and keep the players to build a propper team around.

Not a fuckin' chance!  :rant:

It does not surprise me. The club needs to off load all the high earners. It simply will not make enough money next year to cover their wages. Also if he gets rid of the players on high wages it will make the club a little more saleable. A new owner will not have that problem and will be able to come in and set their own wage structure.

I said this would happen. Shearer's away, he cannot be blamed from his side, and from their side there's no one there to stop them doing more wrongs against the club.

Shearer should never have went on Holiday, simple as.

I said this would happen. Shearer's away, he cannot be blamed from his side, and from their side there's no one there to stop them doing more wrongs against the club.

:lol:

What could he do to stop them anyway? He's not employed by them.

Little harsh on Shearer. He's got no input. Ashley has blatantly cut him loose!

:lol:

What could he do to stop them anyway? He's not employed by them.

He could still be around the club, in talks demanding who's not to be sold, and who needs to go, whether he's manager or not he knows what needs doing, they don't. His advice over the past few weeks now means nothing as out of mind out of site, they did the same with Keegan, again, another one i was right about when everyone thought everything was hunky dory.

If Bassong moves for £5m to Sunderland or a deal equally as shite when Shearer is on holiday, Shearer himself whether he becomes boss will kick himself as being potentially the only person to stick up for the club and he's gone away.

If Bassong moves for £5m to Sunderland or a deal equally as s**** when Shearer is on holiday, Shearer himself whether he becomes boss will kick himself as being potentially the only person to stick up for the club and he's gone away.

But there is Sweet Fa he can do. He can't demand anything, he can't suggest anything. He's not the manager and might not be the next manager of Newcastle.