The England Thread

Pilko

The pressure on England managers is huge and we have difficulty in producing enough players with the technical qualities to win at the top level. What happens with a lot of England managers is they start off very positively and back their own ideas, but eventually the pressure gets to them and their confidence goes.

Parker alongside Barry in central midfield in a 4-4-2 was a very negative selection, borne of pressure. Thank Christ it took Montenegro half an hour to realise they were better than we were. We only looked good in the early stages because the opposition were nervous.

Guest BooBoo

Rightly or wrongly, I just dont think this rather unlikeable bunch of England players have responded at all to Capello's ultra strict approach. I think a chummy geezer like Redknapp would have probably got more out of them in South Africa. The team spirit seemed to be absolutely appalling.

The worst WC I've ever seen England play - by far, mind you - is 2010.

Still say that he should have been sacked immediately after the Germany game. The whole tournament was an absolute disaster.

Quite right.

Capello :smug:

England being s*** at tournaments is nothing to do with him.

You might want to familiarise yourself with 2002, 2004 and 2006 before coming out with that recycled garbage.

I honestly think Eriksson did a really good job, it just unravelled at the end when the press were hounding his every move.

Agreed. A freak goal in 2002 (think we would have actually won it that year had we won that match), 2004 we lost away to the hosts and one of the strongest Portuguese sides in a long time, and 2006 Rooney (becoming a theme now) was petulant and even with 10-men it took pens for Portugal to knock us out again.

So Capello guides us to the tournament averaging over 2 goals a game; begins to utilize different formations and tactics; drops a load of deadwood out of the squad, whilst bringing in a few exciting youung players and it's all a bit shit and people aren't satisfied?

Really is pathetic.

Guest BooBoo

Shit, thinking back of the mad 2002 world cup with breakfast in the pub and all day sessions makes me feel old all of a sudden.

It was interesting that Capello said he would pick youngsters for the Spain game. I think he realises that we needs fresh blood or we're bound to fail.

Oxlade-Chamberlain looks a major talent and I think will get a chance. Wellbeck looks good enough to force his way into the side.

Oh I agree that the main problem is that we just don't have the players trained and developed suited to the game internationally at the moment. Capello is only limited to blame, but he has to take some of the flack for how little our team seems to gel, and how pathetic our midfield seems frequently.

TBH being able to tear into defences at all would be a bonus...

So Capello guides us to the tournament averaging over 2 goals a game; begins to utilize different formations and tactics; drops a load of deadwood out of the squad, whilst bringing in a few exciting youung players and it's all a bit s*** and people aren't satisfied?

Really is pathetic.

Like his WC campaign in 2010, aye.

So Capello guides us to the tournament averaging over 2 goals a game; begins to utilize different formations and tactics; drops a load of deadwood out of the squad, whilst bringing in a few exciting youung players and it's all a bit shit and people aren't satisfied?

Really is pathetic.

You're a WUM or you're slow.  It wasn't a strong group.  We're surely allowed to draw conclusions on our tournament prospects based on the level of performance we've seen.

When the best English midfielder of the last 20 years would rather put his feet up at home because he hated international tournaments so much, you know there is going to be problems...

That's Scholes btw. 

So Capello guides us to the tournament averaging over 2 goals a game; begins to utilize different formations and tactics; drops a load of deadwood out of the squad, whilst bringing in a few exciting youung players and it's all a bit s*** and people aren't satisfied?

Really is pathetic.

You're a WUM or you're slow.  It wasn't a strong group.  We're surely allowed to draw conclusions on our tournament prospects based on the level of performance we've seen.

They are premature conclusions...

Really is pathetic.

Nah man, he's achieved what no England manager has achieved. Well except for nearly every other tournament we've played in (bar one in the 90's and 2008...)

Really is pathetic.

Nah man, he's achieved what no England manager has achieved. Well except for nearly every other tournament we've played in (bar one in the 90's and 2008...)

64, 72, 74, 76, 78, 84, 94, 08

Always excuses with Dresden. He's the king of them.

I have no idea what excuses these are that aren't 100% spot on?  Pick them out for me...

I don't have to. They're all nonsense.

Explain why you think they are nonsense then or you'll just be marked under cretin from here on...

When the best English midfielder of the last 20 years would rather put his feet up at home because he hated international tournaments so much, you know there is going to be problems...

That's Scholes btw. 

The same Scholes who didn't go to the last WC because Capello didn't ring him? :lol: