The England Thread

Pilko

Guest Howaythetoon

Sigh. It's a clear sign of regression in our national team that Scott Parker is even in the side let alone being made Captain.

Why? He's a central player (in that he's a key player) for the 3rd best side in the division. I've never got the criticism of Parker. I think its because he doesn't score goals, smack in free-kicks or beat his man. He's a deep lying defensive midfielder stroke anchorman strok link up player. Nothing more. He rarely gives the ball away, offers a defensive screen to his defenders and links play up with his midfield and attack. Every time I see him for Spurs he has often been their best player in terms of consistency. I also thought he was fantastic in his first season here and was disappointed when we got rid. He's a good lad as well so I'm happy for him. You just know he'll be over the f***ing moon at being captain where as you get the impression Gerrard or someone else would be all "meh, I've played in a CL final". England have probably needed a player like Parker for a few years now. Get Wilshire in the side and Cleverley and we'd finally have a technical midfield for once rather the usual of Stevie G, Lamps etc. Those 3 in particular would keep possession very well.

How many of the top international sides would he get into? Answer it correctly, and you'll then understand my point. A fit and well Gerrard at least has the semblance of World class, and so to a lesser extent did Lampard.

Gerrard is a world-class club player, but a poor international player because technically, he's a limited player.

How many international sides would Cabaye get into? How about err, France? My point, its not about other sides its about our own and Scott Parker is one of the best performing midfielders this season for one of the best sides and just so happens to be very good at certain things like breaking up play, finding a team-mate with the ball, and protecting the back four. He's a no brainer basically.

By the way, Lampard is and always has been the better footballer than Gerrard. He has that international technique that Gerrard lacks, and maybe if he had someone like Parker behind him in an England shirt, his own England carreer, as decent as it has been, might have been even better.

Watch Gerrard try and run with the ball, watch how long his strides are to catch up with it, he gets away with it because he is a powerful, quick and very althetic runner. If he had zero pace and power in his running though, that ball would run off away from him. He's a heavy footed player on the ball. He can hit a great pass from a standing point and he has tremendous shooting power and can drive forward really well, but ask him to play short, intricate passing, at pace and with movement and he cant. Lampard could. Parker can.

Totally disagree. And Cabaye would get into the English side if he was English. Would Parker get into the French side if he was French? Mais non.

Forget about other sides man. Its about what's best for England and who is best for England. If Parker, one of the best performing players for one of the best performing sides with critical attributes in a defensive and technical perspective, cannot get a game for England, then no-one can.

Who do you think we are? What kind of team do you think we are? We are not Spain and never will be. We are England, a country with no real world-class players, but a country with many top-class players, who if selected right and sent out right, can compete.

Your would X player get into X side is a daft point anyway.

Would Alou Diarra get into the English side? Would Kuyt? Would Luiz?

So my original point about how England have regressed you are now agreeing with. I've seen us have world class players, and indeed world class sides. Some have been  mismanaged by the manager at the time. Even in 1990 and 1986 we went on to fairly successful tournaments in spite of the manager *tinhat on*, not because of him. Scott Parker , irrespective of him playing for the side that's 3rd in the league, should not be captain of the side.He probably wouldn't be playing if Wilshere was fit. Scott Parker is today's Ray Wilkins.

And Daiarra and Kuyt would probably get into the England side. Luiz shouldn't get into any top side as a defender.

I'm not agreeing with your assessment that England have regressed. With England and indeed international football, it is all about tournaments so its hard to say we've regressed. Regressed to what, an un successful side? Err, we haven't won anything since '66, our only every trophy. Regressed player wise? How because we haev picked Parker? :lol:

As for Kuyt getting into the England side...

Actually, he probably would because he's very much a classic English type of player, all graft, no skill.

I remember us having world class players, to actually think, obviously stupidly, that we could win a major tournament. That isn't the case now. Do we have any world class players now? Ashley Cole probably. That's regression. We ain't anywhere near as good as we were, even under Sven. And that's why the likes of Scott Parker, and others beside him, are getting international caps. I know Glen Johnson,Gareth Barry, Gary Cahill, Robert Green, Scott Carson, Darren Bent, Joleon Lescott etc. aren't going to challenge for the major honours. Regression.

There is a real dearth of world-class talent in many a side not just England. Who are Holland's world class players? RVP? What about France? Germany? Portugal? For me in the last decade I'd say our genuine world class players were G.Neville, Rio, Cole, Scholes, Rooney and that's it.

As for the game itself typical England really, trying to force the ball, poor ball retention, lacking ideas. Mind Holland are poor too.

Guest Howaythetoon

Parker has at least tried to retain possession. Gerrard once again playing his stock hollywood balls when the simpler better pass was required. One player had stood out for me in an attacking sense and that's Richards. Mind he's not the best defender.

Parker has at least tried to retain possession. Gerrard once again playing his stock hollywood balls when the simpler better pass was required. One player had stood out for me in an attacking sense and that's Richards. Mind he's not the best defender.

Even David Blunkett would retain possession if all he did was shift the ball a yard or two left, right or backward.