The England Thread

Pilko

Guest Roger Kint

Milner played because Hodgson knows Johnson can't defend IMO.

Rather he picked Jones or even that Kelly kid than waste a shirt on Milner to cover a s*** player at RB

Picking Richards would have been the easiest fucking solution

Aye. No way he could have been as poor as Johnson was 95% of the time there

Think that's slightly harsh on Parker TBH. I don't love him as a player but the problem was that every time we won the ball back we gave it away within seconds. The whole team was at fault for that.

He's a massive part of the reason we consistently give it away. He's terrible on the ball and far too limited a passer.

Not the only one but he plays the most crucial role on the pitch.

The funny thing is that we're actually capable of picking players who can keep possession. A midfield of Wilshere and Carrick is a completely different style to Gerrard and Parker.

I'm not sure we should entirely move to a Italian/Spanish style passing game, but it's just not feasible to play with such physical energy for the whole of an international tournament. You have to look after the ball.

Strangely we looked OK at the start of the game, I think Parker and Gerrard both being knackered also played a big part.

Think that's slightly harsh on Parker TBH. I don't love him as a player but the problem was that every time we won the ball back we gave it away within seconds. The whole team was at fault for that.

He's a massive part of the reason we consistently give it away. He's terrible on the ball and far too limited a passer.

Not the only one but he plays the most crucial role on the pitch.

In the other games I don't think he's wasted possession that much at all. Certainly less than Johnson and Young, for example.

We do need a midfield metronome though, I agree with that. I would have definitely had Carrick in my squad.

I'm not sure we should entirely move to a Italian/Spanish style passing game, but it's just not feasible to play with such physical energy for the whole of an international tournament. You have to look after the ball.

Yep, England don't need to change their game to a Spanish style - but being able to string a couple of passes between themselves is fundamental.  Countless times that the ball was launched in the hope that one of the forwards could hold onto it.

Supposedly the best pass sequence for England was Hart to Carroll and he was only on for about 30 mins.

Yep, England don't need to change their game to a Spanish style - but being able to string a couple of passes between themselves is fundamental.  Countless times that the ball was launched in the hope that one of the forwards could hold onto it.

Supposedly the best pass sequence for England was Hart to Carroll and he was only on for about 30 mins.

It was aye.

Joe Hart had our highest completed passes too :mackems:

Carroll is one of the few players who seemed to have confidence in his own ability. He knows he's got at what he does (target man stuff, holding the ball) and did his job really well. Fuck knows what Rooney's problem is. Unbelievably shit in the past two tournaments.

Carroll is one of the few players who seemed to have confidence in his own ability. He knows he's got at what he does (target man stuff, holding the ball) and did his job really well. Fuck knows what Rooney's problem is. Unbelievably shit in the past two tournaments.

It's those Nike adverts. Guaranteed to be shite after that kind of fate-tempting.

It's those Nike adverts. Guaranteed to be shite after that kind of fate-tempting.

It's weird. I mean, his touch is absolutely awful. Passing: awful. If you went purely by his performances in the World Cup and the Euros, you would imagine him to be some clogger from the bottom of the table.

Rooney can't take the game to decent opposition on his own and drive a team on the way other top players can.

After all the hype of bringing him in the squad he should be embarrassed with how he played.  When he had the ball it was more expected that he'd fuck things up than do something exciting/productive.  Not an attitude people generally have with world class players.

Milner played because Hodgson knows Johnson can't defend IMO.

Bullshit.

I thought that was pretty much the accepted opinion as well TBH. Would be interested to hear a multi-word argument from you like.

The shit of the bull.

Probably going to be pilloried for this, but I actually thought Milner played reasonably well yesterday.  Would have taken Young off (regardless of penalty miss) way before Milner.

Not quite sure why no-one seemed to pick up on how dreadful Terry was.  Embarrassing to watch him at times.