The England Thread

Pilko

No they weren't.  England did not go out to retain possession, did they?  They executed their game plan perfectly in the first half especially.

The only way you could claim that Spain outclassed England would be if they had scored 3-4 goals, but they didn't.  In fact they didn't have more than a few half chances...

JH must have watched a different game?

Aye, I watched same game as the BBC:

The world and European champions dominated possession and territory for long periods and almost equalised late on when David Villa struck a post and substitute Cesc Fabregas wasted a chance.

and The Sun:

The Three Lions were outclassed in the first half as the world and European champions bossed possession and left the hosts chasing shadows.

and Sky Sports:

In a contest that was dominated by Vicente del Bosque's side...

and the Telegraph:

This was no revolution in the world order. Spain utterly dominated possession' date=' hit the post and wasted several late chances...[/quote']

Oh, and the Daily Mail:

But there it was: England, outplayed for long periods in which their ambition was minimal and their control of the ball still less, emerged as victors.

I could keep going but you get the picture.

England were forced to lose possession, they didn't give it up themselves.  This is not Inter vs Barca.

Not going to argue anymore if you cannot understand the difference between "inviting opponents to attack" and "forced to hoof long balls"

Heh, this is turning shit.  People never seem to grasp how good defensive football works.  I agree that we didn't do well with the ball, but that was a given with Bent and Walcott as our 2 main outlets.

On a parting note, by 'chasing shadows' do you mean staying disciplined whilst ensuring that Spain had no easy possession in dangerous areas until the final minutes?  Probably not. 

Heh, this is turning s***.  People never seem to grasp how good defensive football works.  I agree that we didn't do well with the ball, but that was a given with Bent and Walcott as our 2 main outlets.

On a parting note, by 'chasing shadows' do you mean staying disciplined whilst ensuring that Spain had no easy possession in dangerous areas until the final minutes?  Probably not. 

No, I mean we were outclassed by a far superior side (though we were defensively good in the latter stages), we were more lucky than 'perfect' and aren't now suddenly Euro contenders.

England were forced to lose possession, they didn't give it up themselves.  This is not Inter vs Barca.

Not going to argue anymore if you cannot understand the difference between "inviting opponents to attack" and "forced to hoof long balls"

England's gameplan was to sit back and keep their shape. That was patently obvious, they weren't trying to go for the win.

They let Spain keep possession away from goal, kept their discipline and defended well. Exactly the right tactics to play against Spain by The Hat.

Who is saying we are now contenders and why use the word luck to explain our triumph?  How many shots did Spain get on target?  One, with one hitting the post.  That's by no means excessive luck, that's good defending to restrict them to maybe 1 or 2 clear chances.  A number of chances you'd expect most teams to muster in a game.

Not enough credit here for Englands defence.

It's this "let Spain keep possession" that is getting me - as if we had any other real choice :lol:

Yes that was the tactic because Spain has better technical players, So what? England could have gone gung ho and been battered, but they chose the right option and sat back. As was shown last night and throughout Spanish football history possession alone doesn't win football matches, you need to do something with it.

Who is saying we are now contenders and why use the word luck to explain our triumph?  How many shots did Spain get on target?  One, with one hitting the post.  That's by no means excessive luck, that's good defending to restrict them to maybe 1 or 2 clear chances.  A number of chances you'd expect most teams to muster in a game.

Not enough credit here for Englands defence.

They defended well - wouldn't call it a 'perfect gameplan' though. They were outplayed. Play that game again in a competitive sense and England wouldn't win it.

Sheesh.  How were they outplayed?  Spain created hardly anything of note outside the last 10 minutes...

Oh wait, you're right and pretty much all media outlets are wrong. Sorry about that. :lol:

Media snippets are simple short comments.  You're not grasping anything below the surface...  Spain dominated possession and did nothing with it - I would not call that dominating the match.  Dominating the match would require lots of chance being produced.  They made 2/3 all game?

Media snippets are simple short comments.  You're not grasping anything below the surface...  Spain dominated possession and did nothing with it - I would not call that dominating the match.  Dominating the match would require lots of chance being produced.  They made 2/3 all game?

Not necessarily.

Less than half the tickets sold for Wembley tonight apparently.

Daft. £30+ for a ticket.

They should be having friendlies over England rather than just Wembley.  Although I've heard that they have to be held at Wembley as part of their business plan.