The England Thread

Pilko

It's imperative they take a midfielder who can actually pass the ball accurately and unlock a defence, but I fear we'll get stuck with the Gerrard-Lampard axis again.

Carrick... The poor man's, nay, the homeless man's Yaya.

Guest Chubby Jason

Scholes should go if he's asked. If he doesn't he's a fucking idiot to turn down one last chance at an international tournament.

Scholes should go if he's asked. If he doesn't he's a fucking idiot to turn down one last chance at an international tournament.

Sadly, he's still England's best option, even at 37.

I think the team should be picked with a view that it'll have some stability over the next few tournaments rather than trying to drag one more performance out of a team that never really did in the first place...

Carrick is a metronomic passer yeah but there's a vast abscence of creativity there. I'd prefer solid back line with holdign midfielders and fast attacking players to hit on counter, rather than some hap-hazard midfield that tries to hold onto the ball further up the pitch.

Feel a little harsh on Carrick there...but there's just...like watching a purely functional footballer.

Guest Chubby Jason

Carrick is non-existant when the team is under the cosh; which we will be for most of the tournament. I'd probably take him but he shouldn't start.

I still can't understand how people can glibly disregard Scott Parker as "w***" when he's been one of the better holding players in the country for the past two years and usually performs well against the better teams when we need to win back possession all the time.

It's the typical N-O reaction to hype tbh.

:thup: People don't like former players getting any sort of praise. Thus, any praise is combated with ridicule. No middle ground.

Parker needs to start at the Euros. So does the diving, money-grabbing horse, for that matter.

Nothing at all to do with Parker been a former player, it's more to do with the cringeworthy and cliche praise he gets from the media, also known as The Gareth Barry Effect.

It's a bit harsh on the player himself like, but there needs to be a counter balance.

Parker's been Englands best player in recent games, man :lol:

:facepalm:

Believe what you want, but Parker's performance against Spain was awesome. He's not technical by any means, but his determination in that game was unreal. If Spain fired a cannon at the goal he would have stuck his head on it.

If we have a holding player alongside him capable of doing the technical bit (probably Barry) he's very important.

Parker was one of my favourite players for the club while he was here, so maybe I have the blinkers on, but we aren't exactly blessed with options. Was hoping Jack Rodwell would step up but was not to be.

Believe what you want, but Parker's performance against Spain was awesome. He's not technical by any means, but his determination in that game was unreal. If Spain fired a cannon at the goal he would have stuck his head on it.

If we have a holding player alongside him capable of doing the technical bit (probably Barry) he's very important.

Parker was one of my favourite players for the club while he was here, so maybe I have the blinkers on, but we aren't exactly blessed with options. Was hoping Jack Rodwell would step up but was not to be.

You need Parker or Barry playing not Parker and Barry. That's when it all becomes lifeless and one paced.

Barry has been better than Parker this season IMO. Last two games he's been almost flawless in doing about his work.

You need Parker or Barry playing not Parker and Barry. That's when it all becomes lifeless and one paced.

Barry has been better than Parker this season IMO. Last two games he's been almost flawless in doing about his work.

I was assuming we'd be playing 3 in midfield. Not really sure how Roy will line them up.

Barry and Parker are completely different players. In a 4-4-2, Barry and Parker would be horrible, yes. As a midfield 3 with Wilshere would have been acceptable but no idea how bad his injury is going to affect him atm.

At least we have decent wingers, sort of.

My team at the moment would be:

Hart

Richards      Terry          Lescott      Cole

The Ox      Barry        Lampard      Young

Welbeck    Carroll

My team at the moment would be:

Hart

Richards      Terry          Lescott      Cole

The Ox      Barry        Lampard      Young

Welbeck    Carroll

Terry? Seriously? :lol:

I was assuming we'd be playing 3 in midfield. Not really sure how Roy will line them up.

Barry and Parker are completely different players. In a 4-4-2, Barry and Parker would be horrible, yes. As a midfield 3 with Wilshere would have been acceptable but no idea how bad his injury is going to affect him atm.

At least we have decent wingers, sort of.

Wouldn't start them both in a 3 either, they're far too similar IMO.

Guest gggg

Terry should be nowhere near the squad after his antics at the last World Cup, never mind his antics and form since.

Guest taps01

Hart

Walker Terry lescott Cole

Lampard Barry

The Ox

Sturridge                        Young

Rooney

I do think we need to give some of the youngsters a chance. Struggled to pick a centre mid pairing!