The England Thread

Pilko

Its funny, in Australia its a disgrace if you dont support the country of your parents birth. All the Australian bred Italians and Porto's are massive fans of those countries even if they have never been there in their life. A portuguese girl I know the other day was schocked and apalled that I wasnt supporting England, so I had to explain to her, Im Australian so i support Australia and Newcastle. Therfore Im going for France coz i have a massive man crush on both Ben Arfa and Cabaye.

Yeah, I was born in Sydney, Mum in Melbourne but Dad in Clapton. I support both the Aussies and England, but as I mainly grew up in England it's them I support the most. Always want the Poms to beat the Aussies in the cricket, but always used to support the Aussies in Rugby for some reason.

I have supported some right cunts who played for Spurs, shitehawks like Van Den Hauwe, Justin Edinburgh, Jason Dozzell. It didn't matter, because they were Spurs, so I had to suck it up. Likewise with England. I didn't choose England, much as I didn't choose Spurs, and I will still be English when utter pricks like Terry and Ashley Young will be long gone. I definitely feel less engaged with England than I have done, but in my case that's more (a) because I live in the US now and (b) a general disillusionment with football. Partly brought on by Chelsea winning the fucking Champions League, if I'm honest.

Joseph S Blatter ‏@SeppBlatter

After last night’s match ‪#GLT‬ is no longer an alternative but a necessity.

10:14 AM - 20 Jun 12

Couldn't make it up. :mackems:

No f***ing way :lol:

You're shitting me, they really hate us don't they.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wasn't even taken into consideration after Lampard's shot was 1 metre over the goal line in 2010.

https://twitter.com/SeppBlatter/status/215372031506657281

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wasn't even taken into consideration after Lampard's shot was 1 metre over the goal line in 2010.

After my earlier comment I Google it and found the following:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sepp-blatter-tweets-goal-line-technology-903673

The video is from last year and so to be fair to him it looks like he has been pro goal line technology for a while.

Looks like its Platini we should be blaming.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9124497.stm

Think we need to play to our strengths, keep things tight, hit people on the break, and rely on set pieces. Carrol is a must for me, with rooney, wallcott and Ox (or young, but tbh Youngs been fucking dire)

Gerrard and Parker hold the fort, and the same back 4 we've played all tournament.

Guest Howaythetoon

England have done way better than I thought they would, but boy are they a crap side and you do fear for them against even a half competent side. They've been largely outplayed in most of the games for example. Beat Italy and the semis is a good outcome for this team. Anything else should be a bonus. In fact I think just getting this far is success sort of.

England have done way better than I thought they would, but boy are they a crap side and you do fear for them against even a half competent side. They've been largely outplayed in most of the games for example. Beat Italy and the semis is a good outcome for this team. Anything else should be a bonus. In fact I think just getting this far is success sort of.

What utter shite. Are you sure you haven't been watching a World Cup 2010 dvd?

Dunno we were reasonably lucky in all 3 games, we havent stopped teams from playing ( France game aside) we have just been very clinical and been fortunate the teams in question didnt take the chances they got.

Does'nt matter as we are winning games, but we have been outplayed in pretty much every game.....

Dunno we were reasonably lucky in all 3 games, we havent stopped teams from playing ( France game aside) we have just been very clinical and been fortunate the teams in question didnt take the chances they got.

Does'nt matter as we are winning games, but we have been outplayed in pretty much every game.....

Really? I disagree. In spells, yes. But on the whole, no way.

Our worst performance was last night, for me. We unwisely gave Ukraine - the home team in a massive, massive game in their history arguably - the encouragement to get forward and make things hard for us. Poor ball retention in the 1st half, defensively not solid at all and Welbeck and Rooney did little to help. 2nd half was an improvement albeit a million miles from great.

However, against France, although they demonstrated they had better technical players for the most part, what damage did they do? What clear cut chances did they produce? I'm struggling to think of many. I also don't think they got us into any sort of trance with their passing; both teams seemed happy enough with a point. Against Sweden, it was a bad night for defences but overall I thought we did enough to merit the win.

We've barely been "outplayed" this tournament. We've certainly been under pressure but outplayed? Don't think so.

I did say france game aside tbf.....  but i felt against Sweden and Ukraine we gave away too many chances definitely more than we were able to create.

Maybe outplayed is too a strong a term but i definitely feel those teams had the better of it but luckily they were no where near as clinical as we have been.

We remind me a lot of Chelsea tbh, we seem to give up a lot of chances despite defending so deep but we seem to be very clinical.

I'm not complaining tbh as long we keep winning it doesnt matter but i do understand where HTT is coming from.

Really? I disagree. In spells, yes. But on the whole, no way.

Their best performance came against France. There was a plan, a purpose, albeit a negative nullification of the oppsoition but a plan all the same. Of course this was aided by Benzema sitting hopelessly deep but overall the side did well to keep thier shape and discipline and deserved their point.

I do however agree large amounts of luck were required against both Sweden and Ukraine. The former coming in the form of two fortunate goals and the latter as a couple of officiating errors. Both games could of easily been lost due to poor defending and sloppy distribution.

Reminds me of peoples arguments about Newcastle early last season tbh. Lucky to win games, not outplaying the opposition enough, to negative, opposition missing chances blah blah.

Really we're just playing in a way that makes us hard to beat & relying on quality down the other end to be the difference. The goals we've conceded were a long shot & two set pieces. Theres no luck involved, some people just cant comprehend the idea of winning games without outpassing the opposition & showing overall domination.

FWIW Man U's success over the past 19 years hasn't been predicated on 'outplaying the opposition'. Soaking up pessure, playing in the opponents half when you need a goal and taking chances.

Honestly, it's the same shit from the same posters. I don't know what's happened to HTT (one the posters I respect most) since his kid was born, but I can only presume he's been hit on the head or he's hitting the bottle again.