The England Thread

Pilko

Saw on Match of the Day last night that Ross Barkley, Daniel Sturridge, and Danny Welbeck were all singled out for glowing assessments from the pundits.

Both Oxelaide Chamberlain and Henderson appeared to have good games as well, judging by the coverage, and I do rate Wilshire and Sterling.

Is the above evidence of the media's tendency to show bias towards English players, or is the immediate future not as bleak as some people tend to make out?

Time for a bit of bias from myself, but Barkley was the best player on the pitch on Saturday. More impressive than Baines, Fellaini, Pienaar, Mirallas, or any Norwich player. Superb composure on the ball, played like a seasoned pro and a f***ing class goal. Yeah, a few errors but they came through a drive and ambition to make things happen, and something he'll - at this rate - pick up very fast.

Delighted he looks like he's finally getting a consistent chance. Something he didn't get under Moyes.

Wasn't he only playing becasue Gibsion was injured? Or is he now first choice pick?

That remains to be seen, but he surely impressed him immensely.

This however led to Fellaini playing deeper, as TCD mentioned, which hampered us greatly. So there are some bits to fit in the jigsaw yet. But individually he looked a class above nearly everyone on the pitch. Not bad for 19.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Celtic), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Forwards: Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

One of the better squads in a while IMO.

Really hope Barkley gets a chance. Genuinely think he's that good, albeit I wonder if he'll get a chance again in the future if he doesn't happen to perform. i.e. hope we don't do the usual thing of thinking he's a world-beater and anything other than such a performance means he's not that good.

Same old s**** and big club bias. Smalling and Sterling ffs.

Aye lets gloss over the fact that Ruddy, Barkley, Townsend, Forster are in there  :laugh:

Anyway who would you prefer over them? i'm quite happy with the squad picked if i'm honest.

Some young talented players who are performing are getting their chance at last.

Has Sterling been playing?

Also, is Milner ever going to start a game for Man City again? Will it make a difference? He'll still probably get in the England squad.

He retired during the summer, but Hodgson couldn't be bothered to revisit more than four or five of the squad places this time around.