The England Thread

Pilko

Am I the only one who actually rates Milner pretty highly then?

He is a very useful player when not deployed as a tradition 4-4-2 winger. The more central, the better.

I also don't think Wilshere should be a shoe-in starter by any means.

Not sure I agree. Milner in 09-10 had a breakthrough season centrally at Villa, the exact same time as Schiwensteiger's break through season as a CM after years of playing on the wing, it's sad to see how their development has gone differently.

Still think he is a very intelligent player, and has been a success at City. Has a footballing brain that likes of Downing, Young, Cleverly, etc can only dream of.

He's a good player but he's a waste of a place IMO. Not good enough on the wing in an offensive sense and not good enough or playing regularly enough in the middle to warrant a place.

IMO he would be great to kill off teams. He has a good engine but also some real strength. Someone like Henderson wouldn't have a huge impact in a game either chasing a game or defending one and he's unlikely to start. If we where chasing would he come on? You need players to fit different situations, especially off the bench.

Fwiw, Milner has 13 assists in all competitions this season. That probably has more to do with the quality of the team around him, but it's not shabby considering he typically comes off the bench.

• 2 weeks later...

I know there's always doom and gloom when it comes to the England team at the WC, but I think y'all will have a good tournament. You'll beat Costa Rica and draw Italy I think, and the Uruguay match will be decisive. They've got "home" advantage and a potent attack, but their defense is really pretty poor.

I agree with Deuce, if Woy plays the right team I think there is potential for England to do some damage, hope so, I've grown up with England as my second team my whole life thanks to my Dad and my Uncles...also, would be awesome to see this place go mental if England put in a good cup run. :thup:

Would love to see Sturridge and Lallana tear it up.

Hart

Johnson  Cahill  Jagielka  Cole

Gerrard  Wilshere  Lallana

Rooney  Welbeck/Sterling*

Sturridge

*Rather we went with Sterling against CR.

I like what you've done here, Kanj.

Hart

Johnson  Jagielka  Cahill    Cole

Gerrard

Henderson        Wilshere

Sterling

Rooney  Sturridge

Or a 4-3-3 with Rooney as the central striker. Dunno where I've got these ideas from, mind.

Lallana knocking on the door for Sterling's role, or for Wilshere when he is inevitably crocked, while the left back situation is obviously still wide open.

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Gerrard

Henderson Wilshere

Lallana Sturridge Rooney

The front three interchangable and flexible.

This :thup: With Chamberlain and Sterling coming in and out when needed.

would be awesome to see this place go mental if England put in a good cup run. :thup:

That won't happen, mate. Too many on here want us to fail just so Pirlo and Uruguay go through.

Terrible way to show some love for one's country!

I see your team and I'm actually excited by it - Liverpool's title run couldn't come at a better time for England's WC squad with Johnson, Gerrard, Henderson, Sturridge, and Sterling all capable (should-be IMO) of playing in the starting 11.

I'm torn on Cole vs Baines at LB, but there is obviously Shaw (who may be a little too naive for the WC?)

Any possible chance Big Andy makes the squad for last possible striker role?

I was very much in couldn't give a shit mode before the previous two tournaments, can't remember being vaguely excited since 2006.

However, I'm really looking forwards to this World Cup. Not purely for England like, but I don't think they'll do so bad this time around.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Carrick  Gerrard

Rooney

Sturridge  Welbeck  Lallana

Don't think Wilshere has done enough to warrant being a shoe-in starter.

May just be his cringe-worthy pose in the new photo-shoot though. O LOOK AT ME, I'M A TOUGH BOY , I TACKLE HARD (and hence am injured half the time).

Still think Roy will take and start Ashley Cole, though.