The England Thread

Pilko

He's a fucking workhorse, man. He had a better game than a hit and miss little pussy like Navas, so what?

Shouldn't be anywhere near the England first Xl.

Depends on the opposition, horses for courses and all that.

I would rather Milner working his arse offer covering others than someone like Wilshere/Gerrard playing deep where they won't be as effective.

Milner wouldn't make my first choice 11 either but he can be a very useful player to have in the squad.

Very useful is overstating it.

He's a fucking workhorse, man. He had a better game than a hit and miss little pussy like Navas, so what?

Shouldn't be anywhere near the England first Xl.

Depends on the opposition, horses for courses and all that.

I would rather Milner working his arse offer covering others than someone like Wilshere/Gerrard playing deep where they won't be as effective.

Milner wouldn't make my first choice 11 either but he can be a very useful player to have in the squad.

Very useful is overstating it.

Sorry, forgot who I was replying to.

He will be 6.734687 out of 10 useful, if he is carrying any sort of a knock that could go down to 6.734583 but if he is feeling really confident that could go up to 6.737689.

Now feel free to post "A very useful player :papiss:" every game he plays for the rest of his career  O0

He can be somewhat useful in the event of several injuries is how I'd put it, like.

Bit embarrassing that Milner's almost a certainty to be in the squad, tbh. Fortunately we've got quite a few wide players and CMs coming into their own, so this should be his last tournament.

Guest firetotheworks

I'll counteract the Henderson being shit, then being mint, then being overrated cycle and stick with me being wrong by slating him. He's a very intelligent, neat and still improving player. Completely wrong about him, he's been excellent.

Henderson's a much better player.

Disagree. He's perfect for this L'pool system. I doubt he could play so well under Hodgson or for England. He'll get found out in the summer imo

Find what out? Not like there's loads of expectation to play well on his shoulders. He's had an excellent season and now in with a shout of getting a start for his country and rightly so. If he doesn't play well, he'll go back to Liverpool with more experience and try to learn from it.

Aye I'm sure if England get knocked out in the group stage, none of the young players will get any criticism.

Expectation is probably the lowest it's ever been going into a tournament. Obviously the media will still write the inevitable headlines how shite we were but don't think anyone will say i told you that ‘X kid’ was a shit player over a few games in Brazil in a tough group. Learning curve for a fair few of them.

Aye I'm sure if England get knocked out in the group stage, none of the young players will get any criticism.

Expectation is probably the lowest it's ever been going into a tournament. Obviously the media will still write the inevitable headlines how s**** we were but don't think anyone will say i told you that ‘X kid’ was a s*** player over a few games in Brazil in a tough group. Learning curve for a fair few of them.

If you say so.

We write players off because they get outclassed in friendlies. We write young players at NUFC based on sub appearances.

I'm telling you now.

Expectation is probably the lowest it's ever been going into a tournament. Obviously the media will still write the inevitable headlines how s**** we were but don't think anyone will say i told you that ‘X kid’ was a s*** player over a few games in Brazil in a tough group. Learning curve for a fair few of them.

If you say so.

We write players off because they get outclassed in friendlies. We write young players at NUFC based on sub appearances.

I'm telling you now.

Not surprised with comments like 'He'll get found out in the summer', you're part of the 'We'  :lol:

It's his first major tournament at this level on the back of his first standout season in a good side, he's going there with nothing to lose. We don't expect him to standout in Brazil or provide a real threat. He'll give it his all and if that falls short of the required level, he'll take that experience back to Liverpool and try to keep improving his game and come back again in the Euros.

If you say so.

I'm telling you now.

Not surprised with comments like 'He'll get found out in the summer', you're part of the 'We'  :lol:

It's his first major tournament at this level on the back of his first standout season in a good side, he's going there with nothing to lose. We don't expect him to standout in Brazil or provide a real threat. He'll give it his all and if that falls short of the required level, he'll take that experience back to Liverpool and try to keep improving his game and come back again in the Euros.

If you believe an England side or any of its players are going to a WC with "nothing to lose" you are deluded.

What's Henderson got to lose in the summer? A WC winners medal?  :lol:

Few people expect us to get out of the group, let alone challenge to win it. Shaw/Henderson/Barkley/Sturridge/Sterling etc will all have plenty of time to prove their worth and a bad summer won't lose them anything in the long run. Unless you're literally expecting them to set England or the tournament alight in the summer, i doubt you'll be too disappointed if you've managed your expectations correctly.

You simply do start/play for England without some expectations. Shaw, Sterling and Barkley are very young and will be given some leeway. I would be surprised if more than one of those 3 starts.  But Henderson and Sturridge? Nah.

Well that's just you not managing the expectation, 24 they've got a Euro and another World Cup in the coming years where it will be best to judge. Not after one good season in the PL and say they've now been 'found out' if they don't perform this summer, ludicrous to think that. They are still on a learning curve themselves.

TBH i'm starting to think our england squad should be Jagielka, Cahill and Smalling and then the rest of the squad should just be, Sturridge, Stirling, Llallana, Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Wilshere, Barkley and Henderson. No formation or anything, just the defenders last ditch tackle then they all just run up the other end at full pelt or something  :lol:

He's very possibly about to be a crucial part of a league winning midfield, he's much better than OK, as much as I hate to admit it. I'd be very tempted if I were Hodgson to play Barkley and Henderson in midfield with Sterling Llallana and Ox ahead of him and Sturridge up top. Rooney won't be dropped though and it'll be a 4-4-2. Gerrard is putting in a decent case for being deep midfielder mind as well, Barkley is probably still finding his feet.

IMO it'd be criminal not to try and get some of Liverpool's chemistry in the national set-up.

Drop Gerrard? :lol:

TBH i hate gerrard so much I my bias could be getting in way  :lol:

Liverpool mate considers him very much the glue in that team, I dunno if he can dominate games either alone but moreso than Wilshere or any of the midfield alternatives imo.