Supermac

sempuki

I always remember how arrogant he was and how he would tell everyone what he was going to do to the opposition in games.  Players don't really talk themselves up like that anymore.  I remember feeling very let down after all of his talk pre the '74 Final and his subsequent poor performance. 

Part of that arrogance is self belief tbh but sometimes miss placed like you say in the above game and back then you had much bigger personalities then you have now for example Frank Worthington,George Best ,Stan Bowles ,Rodney Marsh to name but a few who said a lot of things for a reaction and were more like playboys than today with you strict club rules and media spotlight.

A large than life character who got the crowd going, but 14 caps is a true reflection of his level. He was strong and fast but Shearer was in a different league.

As a pundit, I'd put him in the Ron Atkinson school - he manages to be both obvious and wrong at the same time.

Totally disagree with yr comment about Shearer - as I said, Shearer was a better leader of the line, but Macdonald was a more exciting player to watch ; Shearer NEVER had Macdonald's out and out pace, even when at his best(which was arguably BEFORE he played for NUFC).

Your point about England caps is also not valid because Geoff Hurst, for example, won more than Greaves, but you won't find many fans thinking that Hurst was a better striker ; Hurst simply fitted into the team pattern that Ramsey wanted, and Macdonald was a better League player than an international - even so, his record of 5 goals in a game still stands, and even people like Rooney, Owen AND Shearer have failed to do this at international level - no matter HOW poor the opposition are(Andorra..!?).

Shearer was the best UK striker of his generation, but at a time when quality British forwards were at a premium - there was definitely more British talent when Macdonald was playing, but defences feared him just as much as modern defences feared Shearer.

Had Macdonald played for a better club when in his prime he would have been an even better player.

No question that MacDonald's pace and power made him a dangerous player, and he did produce some great moments, but he wasn't particularly skilful - unlike Shearer - and that limited his effectiveness at the very top level IMO. My main memories of him are in away games against decent sides, where he would really struggle to have any impact.

I think he was given his chance at international level, but didn't take it - five goals against Cyprus notwithstanding.

We'll have to agree to disagree - some of Macdonald's play was every bit as skillful as Shearer's ; the only area of CF play I reckon Shearer was better was in shielding/holding up the ball and being a 'team' player - it takes unbelievable skill to score some of the goals Macdonald got, and much as I didn't like some of his brashness, he had an amazing record of consistency ; 95 goals in 5 years compares well with the 10 yrs it took Shearer to beat the club record, and he also scored nearly 1 goal in every 2 games whilst at Arsenal, where his career at the top was ended through knee injury - some claim that part of his problems were caused by returning too early to play for Newcastle after surgery for cartilage removal, which happened a couple of times....

He was basically a one-footed player when he arrived at NUFC, but he improved all aspects of his game after that, esp his heading ability - I understand how disappointed Wallace was after the 74 Cup Final let down, but Macdonald was not the only player to have a bad game - the whole team were over-awed by the occasion, but Macdonald(and the team) made up for it by his performance against Liverpool the following January, when we hammered them 4-1 at SJP

Must tell you about this(just remembered it)...

Went to see Newcastle play at St Johnstone in a pre-season friendly end July 1972, Macdonald's second season with the club(I was on honeymoon at the time, so I suppose this even beats Bill Shankly's story about going to see Accrington Reserves on HIS honeymoon...!!).

Plenty of NUFC fans had made the trip to Perth, and were rewarded by two things - the first was an unforgettable goal by Macdonald, scored straight from the kick-off ; John Tudor, his strike partner, had noticed the SJ keeper had strayed off his line, and told Macdonald to see if he could catch him out..

Tudor took the kick-off, gently teeing the ball up for Supermac, who was still in his own half ; Macdonald's shot was inch-perfect, beating the scrambling keeper and sailing into the goal just under the crossbar.

Needless to say, the B & W fans went berserk, and even the SJ fans applauded.

The goal was unofficially(because it was a friendly)the fastest recorded at around 4 secs - unbelievable.

It obviously stunned the SJ players, because Newcastle beat them 7-2 at a canter(the second reason for NUFC fans to celebrate), but there wasn't much 'friendly' about the game - Macdonald played for much of the second half with his socks rolled down after a terrible tackle from behind by a SJ defender - the red stud marks were clearly visible on the backs of his legs, even from the stand.

A memorable day(can't remember what the night was like, so don't ask...!!),and I have never seen this feat repeated.

Super Mac was my first hero. I was devasted when he left. That goal against Bolton was on motd in a cup match and with his right foot. It was a great away strip as well!

He was always on Superstars and I think in 76 he ran a time in training shoes on a cinder track that would have got him into the GB Olympic Team for that year. Being a young lad at the time I didn't get to see him that many times but it was always electric when he was on the run and closing towards goal. In a word: explosive

Super Mac was my first hero. I was devasted when he left. That goal against Bolton was on motd in a cup match and with his right foot. It was a great away strip as well!

He was always on Superstars and I think in 76 he ran a time in training shoes on a cinder track that would have got him into the GB Olympic Team for that year. Being a young lad at the time I didn't get to see him that many times but it was always electric when he was on the run and closing towards goal. In a word: explosive

same for me, he was my first toon icon, i can remember going up to see them return without the cup in 74.

Guest wshmag

He's a cunt.

no. a legend.

and well done to that man for standing up to ashley after the arsenal home game this season.

aye, some of his rants on the legends are cringeworthy but he speaks from the heart. we need people like macdonald in the boardroom as he is most definitely a footballing person.

Guest wshmag

What did he say about Ashley?

had a go at how the fat pig is destroying our club after the arsenal game at home this season.

I had the pleasure of watching him play for the Toon and seeing him on Superstars and was so proud of him and for us older ones when he returned as a player with Arsenal the whole ground would sing along as one to the tune of Noel,Noel    SUPERMAC IS KING OF NEWCASTLE and it brought tears to my eyes what we had lost .

Guest firetotheworks

Part of the Souness class of one thing not equaling another.

Legend as a player.

Fool as a pundit.

That's how I see it.

Legend as a player.

Fool as a pundit.

That's how I see it.

Actually like Souness as a pundit. Him & Gullit are normally excellent on Sky's coverage of the Champions League. Cringeworthy when they're talkin a load of sense, then Redknapp butts in with his squeaky voice.

Guest firetotheworks

Legend as a player.

Fool as a pundit.

That's how I see it.

Actually like Souness as a pundit. Him & Gullit are normally excellent on Sky's coverage of the Champions League. Cringeworthy when they're talkin a load of sense, then Redknapp butts in with his squeaky voice.

Aye, it was probably a bad example. I just meant as in one thing not meaning another, as in Souness was a legend of a player and a shit manager, Supermac was a legend of a player and imo is a shit pundit.

Yeah I get you and agree.

Agree he gets on my tits on the legends and he's been foolish in his personal/ private life but, and a big but, he was fucking magnificent in his pomp; he was strong as an ox, as fast as an olympic sprinter (fact), he was brave, had an awesome shoot and power in his headers. The only comparable centre forward of the last 35 years was Sir Les.

On top of that he then made Fulham into a fantastic footballing team. He came up here with Houghton, Lewington & Davies & they murdered us in the old 2nd division (shown on motd) 3 or 4 - 1.  What the fuck went wrong I don't know; they were the best team in that league by a mile.

Guest Brummiemag

Agree he gets on my tits on the legends and he's been foolish in his personal/ private life but, and a big but, he was fucking magnificent in his pomp; he was strong as an ox, as fast as an olympic sprinter (fact), he was brave, had an awesome shoot and power in his headers. The only comparable centre forward of the last 35 years was Sir Les.

On top of that he then made Fulham into a fantastic footballing team. He came up here with Houghton, Lewington & Davies & they murdered us in the old 2nd division (shown on motd) 3 or 4 - 1.  What the fuck went wrong I don't know; they were the best team in that league by a mile.

Yes your right he was a good manager and I remember that game I'm sure they beat us 1 4 at St James, they played really well and when the final whistle went Fulham were applauded off the park by the newcastle fans, (I also seem to remember a huge firework going off outside the ground at the same time!) Also, If my memory is right Fulham  were denied promotion at Derby on the last game of the season 

Agree he gets on my tits on the legends and he's been foolish in his personal/ private life but, and a big but, he was f***ing magnificent in his pomp; he was strong as an ox, as fast as an olympic sprinter (fact), he was brave, had an awesome shoot and power in his headers. The only comparable centre forward of the last 35 years was Sir Les.

On top of that he then made Fulham into a fantastic footballing team. He came up here with Houghton, Lewington & Davies & they murdered us in the old 2nd division (shown on motd) 3 or 4 - 1.  What the f*** went wrong I don't know; they were the best team in that league by a mile.

Agree with most of your assessment, but not about Sir Les - he was a fine CF, but not in Macdonald's class for excitement ; Mac had a more powerful shot and was yards faster.

Agree he gets on my tits on the legends and he's been foolish in his personal/ private life but, and a big but, he was f***ing magnificent in his pomp; he was strong as an ox, as fast as an olympic sprinter (fact), he was brave, had an awesome shoot and power in his headers. The only comparable centre forward of the last 35 years was Sir Les.

On top of that he then made Fulham into a fantastic footballing team. He came up here with Houghton, Lewington & Davies & they murdered us in the old 2nd division (shown on motd) 3 or 4 - 1.  What the f*** went wrong I don't know; they were the best team in that league by a mile.

Yes i remember that game and they were a cracking team back then .

Yes your right he was a good manager and I remember that game I'm sure they beat us 1 4 at St James, they played really well and when the final whistle went Fulham were applauded off the park by the newcastle fans, (I also seem to remember a huge firework going off outside the ground at the same time!) Also, If my memory is right Fulham  were denied promotion at Derby on the last game of the season  

can we balance it out with him being on charge of huddersfield when citeh put double figures past them ?

was at that Game, a certain Mr Keegan Missed a penaty for us, fulham did us good and propper. My school mates saw me behind the tunnel as the interviewed macdonald on football focus.

Guest Brummiemag

can we balance it out with him being on charge of huddersfield when citeh put double figures past them ?

Yes if my memory is correct when he took over at Huddersfield they were in the old second division and he stated that he was setting his sights on nothing less than the 1st division championship itself.  He then promptly got them relegated to third division!