Supermac

sempuki

Wasn't it only last week he was saying how it's not Pardew's fault, he deserves another season etc?

I know the guy was one of finest players but when he speaks to the press he usually just says what the fans want him to say.

When did he say that? ???

In one of the local papers.

Link?

Wasn't it only last week he was saying how it's not Pardew's fault, he deserves another season etc?

I know the guy was one of finest players but when he speaks to the press he usually just says what the fans want him to say.

Link?

couldn't have been recently - he's laid into the management and the players, especially over the clique rumours and divisions between the French and others

Link?

couldn't have been recently - he's laid into the management and the players, especially over the clique rumours and divisions between the French and others

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

Stifler making stuff up, though, surely not?

Doesn't deserve the shit he's getting in here, the man's a legend! Yes he talks some shit but I think he's on the money this time. Clearly thinks Pardew is horseshit and I tend to agree, also the players aren't blameless. We need to go get a convincing win at QPR and put this season to bed and do what has to be done to start afresh in August.

I was at the game against Burnley at Hillsborough, Hibbitt and Supermac had fantastic games. There was a seriously big crowd, with looking back some very scary terracing. Pity the final was so shit

Legend, the first big player I knew as a kid. does nothing but want the best for the club and champion the cause of the supporters.

drank due to pain in the knee from a career ending injury that football turned its back on, never drank again after the game paid for his knee op, 20? yeras after his career.

Doubt fans of other clubs slag the legends off as much as they do in here  like.

Remember the five goals against Cyprus in 1975 at wembley still holds the goal scoring record .

allegedly keegan had said to him after the third, "now you've got your hattrick, how about helping someone else score."

to which supermac had told him to " fuck off and get your own".

Remember the five goals against Cyprus in 1975 at wembley still holds the goal scoring record .

allegedly keegan had said to him after the third, "now you've got your hattrick, how about helping someone else score."

to which supermac had told him to " f*** off and get your own".

Yeah can believe that supermac never looked up in the box only one thing on his mind back of the net.

They clocked him once on one of his runs into the box did under ten seconds 100 yds the olympic qualifying time

Might have been a great player, but he is an absolute fucking nob with his "when I was a player I used to train for 7hrs after training on my own practicing headers from the half way line, until everyone of them went into the top corner" bollocks as well as basically not having a fucking clue what he is talking about.

• 1 year later...

Regularly attends North Shields games (life president) and was in the company of John Gibson at Shields semi the other week.

Saw them wander off before HT and waited in vain to give Gibson both barrels about his fellow Chronicle sports writer. But, they never returned.

Guest ElCid

Was a Ferdinand type player but in my opinion better than him by a good bit (which says something as I loved Ferdinand). Him and Shearer together would have been unreal at their peaks. Scored the best goal I have ever seen ever with a volley against Leicester (unfortunately no cameras were there).

Was a Ferdinand type player but in my opinion better than him by a good bit (which says something as I loved Ferdinand). Him and Shearer together would have been unreal at their peaks. Scored the best goal I have ever seen ever with a volley against Leicester (unfortunately no cameras were there).

Remember one one direct from a throw in on to his left foot to right hand corner ?  great man and loved him and remember fondly his first return to SJP after leavening to go to Arsenal and the toon fans singing "noel noel noel noel Supermacs king of newcastle" and i cried my eyes out  :smitten:

Guest Bert Shaft

That goal you were on about was against Bolton in the in 76 FA Cup.

The second time he came back to Newcastle as an Arsenal player, I remember the Leazes end singing ohhh Malcolm, Malcolm,  I'd walk a mile and a bit to rub yer face in the sh*t, ohh Maaaalllcolm  :D

Loved the bloke when he played for Newcastle and never forgave that skinny tw*t/Frankenstein lookalike Gordon Lee for selling him.

• 1 year later...

remember seeing supermac before the Reading game. he'd just climbed the steps behing the SBR statue. he looked absolutely awful. though he was gonna collapse. was bending over breathless and grey. pointed him out to my kids describing him as good as shearer in his day and they were absolutely shocked. was about to ask him if he was ok but he pulled himself together and moved on.

is he in bad way at the moment?

He suffers from terrible arthritis. He was very bow legged at his peak, his joints must be shot to pieces now. No idea if he has other ailments - it wouldn't come as a surprise.

He was my first hero, he was a devasting player, he could ruin any defence. The Fulham side he managed were also very good and battered us up here. He does get a bad press at times, he is opinionated but it's all part of his make up, he wouldn't have been the player he was without the absolute self belief in his own capabilities. He's talked shite at times all his life, he should have learned from what he said he'd do to Lpool in '74.

This is him on Superstars (at around 3.18 ish), it's not the record run he did in 10.9 secs. For some reason he's got a 4 yard start on David Hemery but he wins easy enough (with a tight hammy), Hemery it should be mentioned won Olympic Gold in world record time for the 400 hurdles in 1968 and won the 110 hurdles at the Commonwealths in 1970. He also got a Silver and Gold - edit to Bronze - in the 72 Olympics in the 400 hurdles.  Supermac was something else in full flight.