Supermac

sempuki

This is him on Superstars (at around 3.18 ish), it's not the record run he did in 10.9 secs. For some reason he's got a 4 yard start on David Hemery but he wins easy enough (with a tight hammy), Hemery it should be mentioned won Olympic Gold in world record time for the 400 hurdles in 1968 and won the 110 hurdles at the Commonwealths in 1970. He also got a Silver and Gold in the 72 Olympics in the 400 hurdles.  Supermac was something else in full flight.

:lol: Well shit, you guys made the MNF theme.

This is him on Superstars (at around 3.18 ish), it's not the record run he did in 10.9 secs. For some reason he's got a 4 yard start on David Hemery but he wins easy enough (with a tight hammy), Hemery it should be mentioned won Olympic Gold in world record time for the 400 hurdles in 1968 and won the 110 hurdles at the Commonwealths in 1970. He also got a Silver and Gold in the 72 Olympics in the 400 hurdles.  Supermac was something else in full flight.

@47:45 ish

Hemery is a hurdler you say?

Brilliant player and scorer imho of the best goal ever at St James with an incredible volley against Leicester - unfortunately no tv cameras at every game then.

That FA Cup goal where Hibbitt threw it in and he just swivelled and leathered it from the corner of the box. :megusta:

Yeag against Bolton that wasn't too bad at all - we truely have had some top class centre forwards over the years that's for sure and Supermac is definitely amongst them.

My favourite goal was Hillsborough Semi when Hibbit pushed the ball over Macs head and Mac chased the ball with Colin waldron on his back.  He shrugged the kernt off and cooly slotted it home. The man was a monster.

Was it not Burnley

The ball over the top from Tudor (I think) in the 74 semi final? Where he outran two defenders and buried it was one of the best I've seen.

This goal was against Burnley.

The goal that Yorkie described was against Bolton (wearing a yellow away strip).

@47:45 ish

Hemery is a hurdler you say?

Haha, so was Alan Pascoe, this was him in '74.

Was it not Burnley

The ball over the top from Tudor (I think) in the 74 semi final? Where he outran two defenders and buried it was one of the best I've seen.

This goal was against Burnley.

The goal that Yorkie described was against Bolton (wearing a yellow away strip).

Yeah thought it was Burnley. I remember the Bolton goal. They were both included on the Newcastle history vhs released when we got promoted under Keegan

He will always be a legend to many of us, including those who were too young to see him play for Newcastle (as I was) He still speaks with such passion about Newcastle, which is great (even if he is mouthy) Better than a lot of the bland guff you get from pundits, today.

Ah, Supermac. First ever hero in the black and white, everyone I knew adored him, fucking cockney hehe.Home debut hatrick against the mighty Liverpool then stretchered off after a collision with Ray Clemence knocked his front teeth out. Caveman appearance enhanced thereafter, with big fuck off sideburns.Although Shearer easily surpassed his exploits years later, I' ve never since seen a number 9 quite like Macdonald. Lethal on both feet, strong in the air, barrell chested and bandy legged, and ran like the fucking wind.Fine supporting cast in Hibbitt, Tudor, Jinky Jim and Stewie Barraclough, never amounted to.more than mid table though.

His book is a decent read, a botched knee operation caused him years of pain where he sought relief in whisky which lead to his reliance. Has always been a massive gob though, and one game where he was co commentator I had to turn the sound off haha! Loves the club through and through and that's  good enough for me.

Greedy c***

As it should be.

Remember a story about the 5-0 against cyprus when he scored all the goals. keegan had said to him at 3-0 something along the lines of "you've got your hat-trick, now help the rest of us score"

Apparently supermac replied "fuck off and get your own".

Brilliant player and scorer imho of the best goal ever at St James with an incredible volley against Leicester - unfortunately no tv cameras at every game then.

You are 100% right - I was at the game and his goal was, without doubt, the best I've ever seen for power of shot over such a distance ; if I remember correctly, Mark Wallington was in the Leicester goal and he was still diving in mid-air when Supermac's incredible 35 yarder was in the back of the net. The crowd was simply stunned and there was at least a second's silence before an eruption of wild celebration. The saddest thing is that no cameras were there to witness it all and the goal came as a result of a great move involving 4 players from our own penalty area after a Leicester corner, Nattrass, Bruce, Mickey Burns(who jumped over the diagonal cross after a shout from Macdonald)and Supermac himself.

Macdonald was one of the club's greatest-ever CFs, fantastic pace, power of shot, lethal with his left foot and almost as dangerous on his right by the time he left us as well as being great in the air..brave too, as his collision with Ray Clemence proved during his home league debut v Liverpool, where he scored that famous hat-trick.

Shearer was a better leader of the line, but for excitement Macdonald just edges it for me because of his amazing pace.

A great player who gave us many moments of excitement even though we failed to win anything in the 70s despite 2 Cup Finals although he spoke too brashly on many occasions.

You are 100% right - I was at the game and his goal was, without doubt, the best I've ever seen for power of shot over such a distance ; if I remember correctly, Mark Wallington was in the Leicester goal and he was still diving in mid-air when Supermac's incredible 35 yarder was in the back of the net. The crowd was simply stunned and there was at least a second's silence before an eruption of wild celebration. The saddest thing is that no cameras were there to witness it all and the goal came as a result of a great move involving 4 players from our own penalty area after a Leicester corner, Nattrass, Bruce, Mickey Burns(who jumped over the diagonal cross after a shout from Macdonald)and Supermac himself.

Macdonald was one of the club's greatest-ever CFs, fantastic pace, power of shot, lethal with his left foot and almost as dangerous on his right by the time he left us as well as being great in the air..brave too, as his collision with Ray Clemence proved during his home league debut v Liverpool, where he scored that famous hat-trick.

Shearer was a better leader of the line, but for excitement Macdonald just edges it for me because of his amazing pace.

A great player who gave us many moments of excitement even though we failed to win anything in the 70s despite 2 Cup Finals although he spoke too brashly on many occasions.

I apologize if I have duplicated some of my comments from 7 years ago, but I maintain that its worth hearing again and many newer contributors to the site will not have read them unless they have been through the whole thread.

Can't believe I haven't stuck anything in here before. This guy was my absolute hero as a kid, he would just go on the rampage through defences, that goal against Burnley in 74 was the epitome of his ability, Waldron hanging off his neck, still kept going at full tilt and stuck it in. The bloke was a bull.

He's also a bullshitter, but he did it on the pitch, he gets a pass on that. I was at Bolton for that FA Cup game too, what a goal that was. Burnden was a right fucking tip like, the "gent's" was just a lake of piss for you to add to. Ah, the 70s. :lol: