BBC: Freddy Shepherd £60m offer for NUFC likely to be accepted

jimmymag
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest itsTosh

From the Chronicle

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/06/30/joey-barton-set-for-return-to-newcastle-training-72703-24023290/

Meanwhile, morning reports of a £60m bid by former chairman Freddy Shepherd have been played down by a source close to the Geordie businessman.

The Chronicle understands that no bid has been made by Shepherd although there could be movement on this front later in the week.

It is also believed that Shepherd’s interest in the club is personal rather than him spearheading a bid by a consortium.

:facepalm:

I hope the £60m is simply Shepherd trying to get a bargain rather than him simply not being able to afford any more.

Its far more likely to be the the first option, otherwise one of the other parties would be offering more.  I have to admit while I hate fat fred and blame him for fucking up our finances to the point of disaster to begin with it would still be a relief to have him instead of Ashley.

For fucks sake man. One morning theres a bid. Then the afternoon, theres no bid. Oh, but there will be movement ..... (insert random date).

Nearly every bastard day we get this shite. Mostly from our local rags that are supposed to be in the know.

This is driving me crackers.

I do laugh when I read that Freddy Shepherd is the 'public face' of a consortium looking to buy NUFC. Who would choose Freddy Shepherd to head up a consortium to buy NUFC apart from himself? Who would pick a person who is unpopular with the fans to head up their take over?

Fuck me..must be some seriously bad/unpopular bastards behind him.

From the Chronicle

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/06/30/joey-barton-set-for-return-to-newcastle-training-72703-24023290/

Meanwhile, morning reports of a £60m bid by former chairman Freddy Shepherd have been played down by a source close to the Geordie businessman.

The Chronicle understands that no bid has been made by Shepherd although there could be movement on this front later in the week.

It is also believed that Shepherds interest in the club is personal rather than him spearheading a bid by a consortium.

:facepalm:

Oh f*ck.

Does anyone know for sure that if the the bid of £60 million is successful, the £100 million loan to Ashley will be written off or whether the new owner will also inherit and therefore have to pay back the £100 million loan to Ashley?

No one knows the answer to this question whether in relation to the possible bid from Shepherd or anyone else. There is no conclusive evidence either way. Despite this many people are assuming that Ashley has already agreed to write off 100% of the debt.

Guest Brummiemag

Does anyone know for sure that if the the bid of £60 million is successful, the £100 million loan to Ashley will be written off or whether the new owner will also inherit and therefore have to pay back the £100 million loan to Ashley?

No one knows the answer to this question whether in relation to the possible bid from Shepherd or anyone else. There is no conclusive evidence either way. Despite this many people are assuming that Ashley has already agreed to write off 100% of the debt.

Thanks for that quayside, basically then theres no evidence he is prepared to write off the £100 million loan

Thanks for that quayside, basically then theres no evidence he is prepared to write off the £100 million loan

If Shepherd takes over, could you blame him for that? He paid £100m to help smother the debts left over by Shepherd, so why should he write those debts off for just £60m?

Guest johnson293

I think the idea he may be writing the loan off came from his last statement when the club went back up for sale, and he mentioned 'losing money' and the £100m price tag.

People assumed the money lost was the debt loan.

There have since been rumours that he only wants £20m for the debt loan should we get straight back up.

Guest michaelfoster

please god not Shepherd

Picking between Ashley & Shepherd is like choosing between AIDS & Cancer

That anyone is interested in buying the club after seeing the accounts is evidence enough for me (that at least a significant portion has been written off)

Out of the fire and into the frying pan.

i have to say i disagree, freddy is afar better bet as it stands than ashley.

he is far, far from perfect, and made huge mistakes, but i would rather thim then ashley or another unkown.

as i keep saying, better the devil you know.

he is far, far from perfect, and made huge mistakes, but i would rather thim then ashley or another unkown.

The devil you know is still the devil.

The devil you know is still the devil.

But if you only have two choices Shepherd is still by far the better one.

Guest johnson293

TBH this is what ot comes down to for me also.

While Freddie made mistakes in the past, he at least tried to move the club forward.

As it stands, if we go into this season with Ashley still as owner, then I can't see anything else than another season of struggle - he clearly doesn't want or intend to take the club much/any further.

As for other parties - not worth worrying/thinking about until they decide to show their hand.

So at present, its Ashley or Shepherd.