John Hartson diagnosed with brain cancer

Dinho lad

Slighty OT - but watched the documentary about Farrah Fawcetts fight against her cancer and f*** me its one of the things that scares me most in life. Hate to think what anyone goes through and saw a few good friends go the same way - luckily (if you get my meaning) my Mother succummed quite quickly and would say her suffering was days not months or years.

I've told our lass tonight if that is ever me then its Switzerland as soon as they give me no hope. f*** that.

Couldn't agree more with that sentiment. :sadnod:

Really? Personally I'd like to cling on as long as possible, never know when some miracle cure could come out, unlikely but there's always the hope.

as and when you've watched it,felt it a bit more you'll realise that the miracle cure is a way off and the pain is closer.

i fully understand and concur with crumpys sentiments.

I dont know about that, Im not one of these pro life hillbillies but its definitely something worth fighting for, ive seen cancer take close ones away and whilst you can take comforts in seeing your loved ones ease away from horrific daily pain, nothing can replace the time spent in those final moments fighting the disease.

Theres a tragic twisted logic in there somewhere, euthanasia is just far too clinical and detached from the emotions that feelings that surround said event, neccessary feelings.  

you sure a bout that ?

we are talking about people with weeks maybe months left of horrific pain against the chance of in those few weeks or months a cure will bring them back from advanced,terminal conditions ?

100% certain. They are truly horrific times but they are always dotted with some incredibly deep and meaningful moments. Im not talking about waiting for a cure bythwway, my angle is more about fighting the disease to the very end.

Like i say, personally Id fight all the way to the end.

hope you're there before me then.

as soon as the pain is unbearable and the docs say there is nowt they can do then i'll bail.

buger that what am i talking about.....i'm gonna die of heart failure whilst riding kylie from behind (it's the thought of that that helped her beat cancer)

Guest toonlass

John Hartson has just been told that he is to become a father again. Bloody hell man, the similarities between his case and my relative's are so frightening its spooky.

John Hartson has just been told that he is to become a father again. Bloody hell man, the similarities between his case and my relative's are so frightening its spooky.

...did you get the word order right there? Are you sure?

Guest toonlass

No probably not, its given me quite a jolt to be honest.

What was the outcome in the case of your relative anyway? Good or bad?

Guest toonlass

No, he died.

Slighty OT - but watched the documentary about Farrah Fawcetts fight against her cancer and f*** me its one of the things that scares me most in life. Hate to think what anyone goes through and saw a few good friends go the same way - luckily (if you get my meaning) my Mother succummed quite quickly and would say her suffering was days not months or years.

I've told our lass tonight if that is ever me then its Switzerland as soon as they give me no hope. f*** that.

Couldn't agree more with that sentiment. :sadnod:

Really? Personally I'd like to cling on as long as possible, never know when some miracle cure could come out, unlikely but there's always the hope.

as and when you've watched it,felt it a bit more you'll realise that the miracle cure is a way off and the pain is closer.

i fully understand and concur with crumpys sentiments.

I dont know about that, Im not one of these pro life hillbillies but its definitely something worth fighting for, ive seen cancer take close ones away and whilst you can take comforts in seeing your loved ones ease away from horrific daily pain, nothing can replace the time spent in those final moments fighting the disease.

Theres a tragic twisted logic in there somewhere, euthanasia is just far too clinical and detached from the emotions that feelings that surround said event, neccessary feelings.  

I wholeheartedly agree with that.

The last day before my Granda died he was conscious for about one hour and in that hour I was there, he couldn't talk much because of the pain but he did suffer just to tell me I was a good lad and that he was proud.  That still chokes me up now especially as I know how much pain he must have been in to say that.

Right now I can also relate to what Hartson must have went through in the early Have I/Have I not got it stages since I'm off to see my GP on Wednesday (I'm probably paranoid and over reacting though).

No, he died.

:(

• 1 month later...

Watching the video I'm optimistic for him.

Testicular cancers is one of very few cancers that can be cured by chemo and radiotherapy even after it has metastasised. Having come this far he might well do a Lance Armstrong.

Guest Stephen927

Was in the Sun a few months back, joking about how he had lost a lot of weight but feeling like he was on the long road to recovery.

• 2 months later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8394822.stm

Hartson's relief at cancer news

John Hartson

John Hartson was diagnosed with testicular cancer which spread

Former Wales international footballer John Hartson has spoken of his relief at being told cancer has been "virtually eradicated" from his body.

The ex-Arsenal and Celtic striker was diagnosed in July with testicular cancer that had spread to his brain.

He was admitted to hospital in his home city of Swansea, where he was told the disease had also spread to his lungs.

Hartson, 34, said: "I'm not out of the woods yet, though this is my brightest day for a long time."

The footballer underwent emergency surgery after he was diagnosed with cancer.

He went home from hospital in Swansea in August after completing the first phase of his chemotherapy treatment.

We've all been through so much and to get the news from the doctors that the cancer is going from me is fantastic

John Hartson

His agent Mark Brodie released a statement saying the cancer had been "virtually eradicated".

However, he said the footballer, who went on to become a TV pundit, still has an "arduous journey ahead to complete recovery" and requires extensive surgery to remove "abnormal masses" in his lung and brain over the forthcoming months.

But Hartson said the latest news is a huge boost.

"We've all been through so much and to get the news from the doctors that the cancer is going from me is fantastic," he said.

"I would like to thank every single person that has taken the time to either write to me, phone me or leave a message online, your ongoing support is helping me through the battle of my life and is keeping Sarah and the kids upbeat in such terrifying circumstances.

"I'm not out of the woods yet, though this is my brightest day for a long time."

He said well-wishers including cyclist and cancer survivor Lance Armstrong, and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, had kept him fighting.

:clap: