Leyton Orient 6 - 1 Newcastle United - 25/07/09

joeyt

It's a friendly.  Why should we care any more about this result than the Shamrock Rovers result?

This sort of collapsing should never ever happen to a "professional" team! None of the high earner first teamers are showing no guts or desire and no doubt our reserves or even the youth team would have done better! I'dbe glad if we just payout the remaining contracts of these few fuckers and start all over as I'm shit scared of the opening day of the season...

Guest Phil K

Hughton - how on earth is this bloke still employed in football, let alone Newcastle ?

Even allowing for the "couldn't give a sh*t for supporters as long as our grossly inflated wage packets are there" players, the man is an absolute embarrassment.

Its like having the toilet cleaner from Kings Cross managing our team.

:lol:

So Hughton filling in for a job as best he can in pre-season makes him a complete embarassment?

You can defend his lack of ability all you like, but if you don't see it as a symptom of the maillaise of this club, you're blinder than most, chum.

Players making a statement?

"providing we get paid we don't give a s***. did last season tel you nothing ?"

Well, apparently with some of us (the above character being a good example) making excuses for incompetence hasn't landed us in deep DEEP sh*t at all.

We're actually NOT been relegated and have not been walloped 6-1 by Leyton Orient (no disrespect to them) and Hughton is a fabulous coach who would walk into any other club in Britain

You can fool some people all of the time......

Guest fading star

Hughton - how on earth is this bloke still employed in football, let alone Newcastle ?

Even allowing for the "couldn't give a sh*t for supporters as long as our grossly inflated wage packets are there" players, the man is an absolute embarrassment.

So Hughton filling in for a job as best he can in pre-season makes him a complete embarassment?

You can defend his lack of ability all you like, but if you don't see it as a symptom of the maillaise of this club, you're blinder than most, chum.

Spot one. Hughton is one of Ashley’s puppets, the man who  keep things ‘ticking over’ while the puppet master screws us over some more.

Guest toonlass

According to SSN the players were barred from making statements to the press about the game. Hughton said

"It's not a problem - it's what we expect in a pre-season period."

"It's not about one game, it's not about one moment, it's about a six week period that we are building up to make sure that we are right come the 8th of August. And one thing I will guarantee is come 8th of August this group of lads will be right."

"There's certainly enough, and enough quality here in this pre-season period to enlighten all of us and that's where we are at the moment.

"I think what you have to do is you have to look what we have squad-wise and if you said to me, would myself or any manager managing Newcastle be happy with this group of players come the 8th of August, I think that the answer is yes.

"It is a pre-season period and in a pre-season period what you are going to do, you are going to experiment a little bit, you are going to give some of the younger players a game and its about building up to the first game."

"They'll all be alright, they'll be a team that will be put out that I'm quite sure will be able to cope with the rigours of a very, very difficult league."

Guest toonlass

He was also asked about the fans and wednesday night and he said something along the lines of "they will turn up in their thousands because that is what Newcastle fans do."

Makes us sound like a bunch of mugs tbh.

Spot one. Hughton is one of Ashley’s puppets, the man who  keep things ‘ticking over’ while the puppet master screws us over some more.

Keegan hired him as an assistant manager, and it seemed to work very well early on. He's shit at being a manager. What should he do? Quit?

It's a friendly.  Why should we care any more about this result than the Shamrock Rovers result?

This sort of collapsing should never ever happen to a "professional" team! None of the high earner first teamers are showing no guts or desire and no doubt our reserves or even the youth team would have done better! I'dbe glad if we just payout the remaining contracts of these few fuckers and start all over as I'm s*** scared of the opening day of the season...

They haven't for years.  And I reiterate, this was a meaningless friendly.  Why should they put their necks on the line against Leyton Orient, when they know they have a long hard season ahead of them just 2 weeks away.  Friendlies are all about getting 90 minutes of pitch time, not about pleasing the fans.  If memory serves me correct, we've had good pre-seasons followed by shit starts in the league, and shit pre-seasons followed by good starts in the league.

Guest fading star

Keegan hired him as an assistant manager, and it seemed to work very well early on. He's s*** at being a manager. What should he do? Quit?

Yes. He’s actively supporting a policy of ruining the club. ‘I’m only following orders’ is no excuse. He might be good lad with a poor sense of right and wrong, or he might be a money grabbing shit who knows fine well he‘s helping Ashley destroy NUFC. 

There was some debate at the time whether he was Keegan’s appointment.

Guest Phil K

Have a fair bit of respect for Hughton, tbh: doing his best in a pretty s**** situation. And it's not like we have any alternative to him at the minute.

No, he's got nothing to offer, and the reason we have no alternatives, is the idiocy of persevering with him to start with.

Have a fair bit of respect for Hughton, tbh: doing his best in a pretty s**** situation. And it's not like we have any alternative to him at the minute.

No, he's got nothing to offer, and the reason we have no alternatives, is the idiocy of persevering with him to start with.

Yeah, let's blame Hughton! After all, if he stepped down and walked away, we'd finally go and replace him with a competent and worthwhile manag.....oh wait.

Guest Geordiesned

I'm confused. You want Hughton to step down admitting there's no alternatives to take up the job?

I couldn't give a flying fuck, tbh. He's there, he's staying there for the foreseeable future and there's nowt we can do to change that. If you have another plan I'd be glad to hear it.

Hughton is on a hiding to nothing. We know he's not up to the job and he very likely knows this himself. He's struggling on as their is literally no alternative. Although I wonder what would happen if Hughton told Ashley his 'management' duty will end after Dundee next week and he refuses to take the team into the season.

Hughton is on a hiding to nothing. We know he's not up to the job and he very likely knows this himself. He's struggling on as their is literally no alternative. Although I wonder what would happen if Hughton told Ashley his 'management' duty will end after Dundee next week and he refuses to take the team into the season.

Joe. Kinnear.

Whilst this result was undoubtedly a disgrace, with no team like we put out losing 6-1 to a League One side being acceptable, take a look at these:

Friendly Match

AC Milan 1-2 Chelsea

AFC Wimbledon 2-0 FC United of Manchester

Altrincham 3-3 Bolton XI

Barnet 2-0 Charlton

Basingstoke 0-0 Portsmouth

Borussia M'gladbach 1-1 Bolton

Bradford 0-2 Barnsley

Bristol City 2-0 Wolverhampton

Burton Albion 3-2 Birmingham

Bury 0-3 Sheff Utd

Carlisle 0-2 Middlesbrough

Dag & Red 2-0 Southend

Dundee 1-1 Aberdeen

Edinburgh City 0-2 Buckie Thistle

Exeter 1-3 Derby

Glapwell 3-0 Chesterfield XI

Glentoran 0-2 Hibernian

Hereford 0-0 Wolverhampton XI

Huddersfield 0-0 Coventry

Kaizer Chiefs 1-0 Man City

Kendal Town 6-0 Preston Ath

Leeds 1-1 Blackburn

Leyton Orient 6-1 Newcastle

Luton 3-0 Peterborough XI

Lyon 1-1 Besiktas

Macclesfield 1-0 Tranmere

Morecambe 0-2 Plymouth

Notts County 2-1 Nottm Forest

Oldham 1-2 Sunderland

Peterborough 3-3 Fulham

Preston 2-1 Stoke

Retford Utd 0-4 Scunthorpe

Rochdale 1-1 Blackpool

Rotherham 0-4 Doncaster

Sheff Wed 0-0 Hull

Shrewsbury 0-4 Leicester

Spalding Utd 1-4 Luton XI

Stafford Rangers 0-1 Port Vale

Stevenage 1-2 Millwall

Sutton Utd 0-2 Crystal Palace XI

Walsall 2-2 West Brom

Joe. Kinnear.

Or Colin Calderwood. Maybe even Richard Money  :kinnear: