SSN: £10m offer from Spurs for Sebastien Bassong rejected

Crumpy Gunt

I'd want £15m at the very minimum, with clauses inserted to bring the deal up to £20m or more if he does well.

He's not worth that, but this is a young centreback (22 compared with e.g. Lescott who's 26, or Haageland who's 28) with everything in his locker to be an excellent defender at the higher levels, having just had a good debut season in the Premiership. The two positions that all good teams are always reluctant to sell their players in are the goalkeeping positions and centreback positions, and the price needs to reflect this, as opposed to reflecting our bitterness at being relegated. We know first hand how difficult it can be to find a good, Premiership calibre centreback with intelligence, composure and physique in his game, at a good age with suitable top flight experience, and a reliable fitness record. So take the suitors to the cleaners if they want him.

Superb delusion 

Agreed, attitudes like this are quite unbelievable. Here we are with the whole country marvelling at the factthat Lescott is "worth" 20mill and someone wants the same for Bassong. :frantic:

If Bassong ever demonstrates that he is a "Premiership calibre centreback with intelligence, composure and physique in his game, at a good age with suitable top flight experience" then I'm quite sure ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool will be offering 30mill for his services .

I sometimes wonder if some posters here have ever actually watched the game?

You're entitled to your opinion. Me, I personally wonder if some posters actually read the posts that they deride as insane or laughable. Judging by your reaction, I seem to have posted "Bassong is world class and worth £15-20m for sure".

Let me re-state very clearly what my thinking here is. I've not said he's worth £15m, in fact I've specifically said he's not worth that. But I'd want that kind of ridiculous fee in order to make selling Bassong worthwhile. As stated, it's difficult finding a good defender with the traits listed above - and to further clarify the point that you've bolded, since you seem to have jumped the gun a bit, I'm not saying Bassong is at that stage yet. I've not even referred to Bassong directly in that sentance, I'm merely stating that it's difficult to sign a defender with those qualities, some of which Bassong has naturally, others which he needs to improve on to bring up to an adequate level. But the point here is that it's easy to see him getting there. And hence, we should not be letting him go for a "fair" or "good" price under any circumstance, unless we're absolutely forced to do so by e.g. his contract situation, or by our creditors/bank/etc.

With respect to your comment about watching the game, I've seen enough to suggest that Bassong could be top class in a couple of years time, hence why I feel he's a valuable enough commodity to ask a ridiculous fee for from a club like Spurs who happen to be loaded afaik. Didn't Shearer recommend a similar price tag on Bassong to the board? But what does he know, eh? You've no doubt watched the game much more than him, so clearly you know more.

I'd want £15m at the very minimum, with clauses inserted to bring the deal up to £20m or more if he does well.

He's not worth that, but this is a young centreback (22 compared with e.g. Lescott who's 26, or Haageland who's 28) with everything in his locker to be an excellent defender at the higher levels, having just had a good debut season in the Premiership. The two positions that all good teams are always reluctant to sell their players in are the goalkeeping positions and centreback positions, and the price needs to reflect this, as opposed to reflecting our bitterness at being relegated. We know first hand how difficult it can be to find a good, Premiership calibre centreback with intelligence, composure and physique in his game, at a good age with suitable top flight experience, and a reliable fitness record. So take the suitors to the cleaners if they want him.

Superb delusion 

Agreed, attitudes like this are quite unbelievable. Here we are with the whole country marvelling at the factthat Lescott is "worth" 20mill and someone wants the same for Bassong. :frantic:

If Bassong ever demonstrates that he is a "Premiership calibre centreback with intelligence, composure and physique in his game, at a good age with suitable top flight experience" then I'm quite sure ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool will be offering 30mill for his services .

I sometimes wonder if some posters here have ever actually watched the game?

You're entitled to your opinion. Me, I personally wonder if some posters actually read the posts that they deride as insane or laughable. Judging by your reaction, I seem to have posted "Bassong is world class and worth £15-20m for sure".

Let me re-state very clearly what my thinking here is. I've not said he's worth £15m, in fact I've specifically said he's not worth that. But I'd want that kind of ridiculous fee in order to make selling Bassong worthwhile. As stated, it's difficult finding a good defender with the traits listed above - and to further clarify the point that you've bolded, since you seem to have jumped the gun a bit, I'm not saying Bassong is at that stage yet. I've not even referred to Bassong directly in that sentance, I'm merely stating that it's difficult to sign a defender with those qualities, some of which Bassong has naturally, others which he needs to improve on to bring up to an adequate level. But the point here is that it's easy to see him getting there. And hence, we should not be letting him go for a "fair" or "good" price under any circumstance, unless we're absolutely forced to do so by e.g. his contract situation, or by our creditors/bank/etc.

With respect to your comment about watching the game, I've seen enough to suggest that Bassong could be top class in a couple of years time, hence why I feel he's a valuable enough commodity to ask a ridiculous fee for from a club like Spurs who happen to be loaded afaik. Didn't Shearer recommend a similar price tag on Bassong to the board? But what does he know, eh? You've no doubt watched the game much more than him, so clearly you know more.

Didn't mean to sound so aggressive - rereading I sound a bit tetchy....    Respect your opinion just wonder if Bassong is being made out to be someting he's not (yet). I come in peace etc.

I'd be pretty fucked off if we rejected a £10m offer. We'll never see another offer like that come around for any of our players. If we were still in the Premiership, i'd say in this market - Bassong is worth £10m. Obviously dropping down a division knocks his value down a peg or two but if Spurs are daft enough to submit that kind of offer, we'd have to be fucking daft to reject that. Which is why i'm doubting it a bit; if Harris go-aheaded a £9m Martins departure, i can't see why he'd tell em to hang onto Seb. Didn't see the report but i bet there's nowt much in it.

It's being suggested that Spurs offered £6m rising to £10m with all the usual Spurs type clauses and payments spread over the years.   Newcastle want £18m with the bulk paid up front.

Possible reason for Newcastle making the bid public is the hope of Man City creating a bidding war.

It's being suggested that Spurs offered £6m rising to £10m with all the usual Spurs type clauses and payments spread over the years.   Newcastle want £18m with the bulk paid up front.

Possible reason for Newcastle making the bid public is the hope of Man City creating a bidding war.

what if bassong would rather go to spurs even if they are outbid by citeh ?

No. Never in a million years. Not having that.  :lol:

like flogging a car. you ask for more than it's worth knowing the buyer will try to knock the price down.

like flogging a car. you ask for more than it's worth knowing the buyer will try to knock the price down.

I think you're overestimating their nous tbh.  :lol:

I'm presuming he has more than 1 year left on his contract in which case there wouldn't be any desperate need for Newcastle to accept a bid they didn't like.  It's not as though Bassong is one of the big earners.  What is said is what is being said on some of the forums, I don't know how accurate it is but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.  It's also being said that we've bid for 2 Toulouse players, Sissoko and someone else.

You want more?  :cheesy:

I don't know why but I didn't realise I was watching a defence worth about £50m last season. Some people are wired to the moon.

Guest Heneage

You also claimed Sunderland had called a press conference for 9am.

:lol:

I want as much as possible for him but, just like Martins, I'd rather have the player on the park if the cash is just going to sit in the bank. We need to spend some of it replacing them.

You also claimed Sunderland had called a press conference for 9am.

They did. They unveiled Cana and Campbell.

:lol:

I want as much as possible for him but, just like Martins, I'd rather have the player on the park if the cash is just going to sit in the bank. We need to spend some of it replacing them.

Definately.  If they've been daft enough to bid £10m with their opening bid, we're perfectly entitled to see exactly how stupid they are.

I don't know why but I didn't realise I was watching a defence worth about £50m last season. Some people are wired to the moon.

Nobody said it was worth that.

Well it's heading that way. 18m for Bassong, 8m for Beye, then there's that 'world class' Argentinian International worth 8m, throw in another 12m for Taylor and Enrique.