SSN: £10m offer from Spurs for Sebastien Bassong rejected

Crumpy Gunt

I don't know why but I didn't realise I was watching a defence worth about £50m last season. Some people are wired to the moon.

Nobody said it was worth that.

Well it's heading that way. 18m for Bassong, 8m for Beye, then there's that 'world class' Argentinian International worth 8m, throw in another 12m for Taylor and Enrique.

8m for beye ?

has tooj been giving you cakes ?

I don't know why but I didn't realise I was watching a defence worth about £50m last season. Some people are wired to the moon.

Well it's heading that way. 18m for Bassong, 8m for Beye, then there's that 'world class' Argentinian International worth 8m, throw in another 12m for Taylor and Enrique.

That doesn't mean people think they're worth that money, just that they think in this currently insane market someone might actually pay it anyway.  Not sure about 8m for Beye though, which nutter said that like? ???

8m for beye ?

has tooj been giving you cakes ?

At this rate Newcastle's debts will be wiped out by Tuesday, in time for the fictional take over by DIC. Good times.

It's being suggested that Spurs offered £6m rising to £10m with all the usual Spurs type clauses and payments spread over the years.   Newcastle want £18m with the bulk paid up front.

Possible reason for Newcastle making the bid public is the hope of Man City creating a bidding war.

You also claimed Sunderland had called a press conference for 9am.

I didn't claim it, that's what was said on the radio. 

Our friend Nicko:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/2009/08/03/manchester-city-boss-mark-hughes-to-bid-for-newcastle-star-sebastien-bassong-115875-21566870/

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes to bid for Newcastle star Sebastien Bassong

By Alan Nixon 3/08/2009

Mark Hughes is prepared to outbid Tottenham in the auction for Newcastle's Sebastien Bassong.

Manchester City boss Hughes has moved in for the powerful French defender and wants to use his financial muscle to see off Spurs in the chase.

A deal is ready to be done in the next 48 hours. City will outbid Spurs who had a reported offer worth up to £10million rejected.

But Toon plan to make them pay - citing Joleon Lescott’s £30m valuation as a guide.

Bassong has been a big success at St James’ Park in the best deal done during Dennis Wise’s controversial talent-spotting reign.

Spurs chief Harry Redknapp wants him to shore up an injury-hit defence, but City plan to flash the cash to land their man.

Our friend Nicko:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/2009/08/03/manchester-city-boss-mark-hughes-to-bid-for-newcastle-star-sebastien-bassong-115875-21566870/

By Alan Nixon 3/08/2009

Mark Hughes is prepared to outbid Tottenham in the auction for Newcastle's Sebastien Bassong.

Manchester City boss Hughes has moved in for the powerful French defender and wants to use his financial muscle to see off Spurs in the chase.

A deal is ready to be done in the next 48 hours. City will outbid Spurs who had a reported offer worth up to £10million rejected.

But Toon plan to make them pay - citing Joleon Lescott’s £30m valuation as a guide.

Bassong has been a big success at St James’ Park in the best deal done during Dennis Wise’s controversial talent-spotting reign.

Spurs chief Harry Redknapp wants him to shore up an injury-hit defence, but City plan to flash the cash to land their man.

:facepalm:

Guest Heneage

Our friend Nicko:

By Alan Nixon 3/08/2009

It'll be at least £10m all up front seeing as it's City, I'd gauge them paying the 17m.

Spurs have a reputation of being a nightmare to deal with in transfer negotiations.  They seem to manage to upset a lot of clubs with the way they do business.  Bruce seems to be the latest - implying that the goalposts keep moving just as they think they have a deal for Bent.  Any deal with them is going to be very complicated with loads of add ons etc and if they did bid £10m, I would think very little of that would be paid upfront.

Our friend Nicko:

By Alan Nixon 3/08/2009

It'll be at least £10m all up front seeing as it's City, I'd gauge them paying the 17m.

Wow,they're going to buy one young player for a sixth of the price of the whole club..As an opposing chairman,I'd be putting that forward.

Our friend Nicko:

By Alan Nixon 3/08/2009

Wow,they're going to buy one young player for a sixth of the price of the whole club..As an opposing chairman,I'd be putting that forward.

You never pay cost price or actual value for a player. You're paying to buy the player + the cost of the inconvenience. We don't really want to sell Bassong regardless of how much of a strop he's in. Jack the price right up, I say.

Our friend Nicko:

By Alan Nixon 3/08/2009

You never pay cost price or actual value for a player. You're paying to buy the player + the cost of the inconvenience. We don't really want to sell Bassong regardless of how much of a strop he's in. Jack the price right up, I say.

are you not buying out the players contract also? hense if a player is on a 4-5 year contract you have to pay a higher price.

Spurs to step up Bassong pursuit [

Aug 3 2009  by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

TOTTENHAM Hotspur are preparing to step up their pursuit of defender Sébastien Bassong this week as the long-awaited St James’s Park clear-out starts to get under way.

Spurs manager Harry Redknapp denied any knowledge of the £10m bid his club was yesterday reported to have had rejected for Newcastle United’s best performer last season. However, he is quite happy to acknowledge his interest in a player who figured in just one of his club’s pre-season friendlies.

After Obafemi Martins became the first Newcastle United player sold this summer, it seems as though the Magpies are finally shedding the high-earners who threaten to be a burden now the club has lost its Premier League status.

Caretaker manager Chris Hughton claimed yesterday to know nothing about his old club’s reported interest, but also revealed he had no involvement in Martins’ £8m departure.

French Under-21 international Bassong was one of a trio of high-profile foreign stars who missed the 1-1 draw with Dundee United yesterday, which was the Magpies’ final match before the new Championship season begins at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday. Habib

Beye, the right-back who handed in a transfer request last week, and Fabricio Coloccini – last summer’s much-vaunted summer signing, who was struggling to hold down a place in the side by the end of last term – also did not travel to Tannadice.

“They are all Newcastle players at this moment in time,” Hughton said after the game, but what happens in the future, I don’t know. At the moment they are all players at this club.

“I’spent the weekend preparing the team for this game. The stuff I saw on the television (about Bassong) was the first I knew about it. I have not spoken to anybody since, so as far as I am concerned at the moment, it is only speculation.

“Habib and Coloccini had injuries and it was never my intention to play Bassong because he is suspended for the first game of the season. It is not difficult to plan because all you can do is work with the players you have.” Hughton also revealed he was presented with Martins’ move to Wolfsburg only when it was a fait accompli. It is a situation the former defender is comfortable with.

“I was only made aware of the Obafemi Martins situation when it was a definite deal,” he confirmed. “At the moment there are not any other deals I am aware of, and that is probably the best way to keep it.” Bassong joined United on trial last summer and impressed enough to earn a permanent deal from Metz.

Having been signed as someone able to provide cover across the four he quickly established himself as the first-choice centre-back.

Redknapp was coy about what stage Tottenham are at in their pursuit, but with Michael Dawson, Jonathan Woodgate and Ledley King all carrying injuries, it is clear he is at least considering one. “He is a player I was interested in,” he said. “I like Bassong, he is a young player with a good future and he is a good central defender.

“I don’t think we have made an offer as far as I know. I am sure the chairman has not made an offer.”

Strikers Shola Ameobi and Xisco missed yesterday’s match through illness and Andy Carroll took advantage of their absence to open the scoring. David Goodwillie equalised from the spot after Steve Harper had saved an earlier penalty. Referee Chris Boyle asked for Damien Duff to be substituted for his excessive protests about the second spot-kick.

Newcastle fans made up 2,330 of the 8,876 supporters at Tannadice yesterday. The match was preceded by a minute’s applause in honour of Sir Bobby Robson, who died of cancer aged 76 on Friday.

St James’s Park will be open again today from 9am-5pm to give fans another opportunity to pay tribute to the club’s former manager.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/08/03/spurs-to-step-up-bassong-pursuit-61634-24300406/

Shambles as Hughton said he had no intention of playing him as he was uspended for our 1sy league game.

But good fine the little cunt, let him rot, not even a reserve game.