SSN: £10m offer from Spurs for Sebastien Bassong rejected

Crumpy Gunt

rejecting £10m???? are they mad!! he's not even worth that much, so this is great news. either we get ludicrous money for him, or its a sign of a takeover....or both! its win-win-win. the mood around here is getting dangerously close to optimistic - be careful!

If it was 10m in cash i wouldve carried bassong to WHL myself.

Anyway, someone made the point 10m "only sounds good because we got relegated and were pathetic". This is completely correct, but we HAVE been relegated and we ARE pathetic. Were in shitville and could do with some cash. Bassong is not irreplaceable. We can get an older, more experienced CB in for a tenth of the monies if need be.

Either they have rejected it because of a possible takeover, or more likely Spurs offered around 4 million up front with future fees to be paid.

Yeah, £10m is never £10m with Spurs. It's normally crappy little clauses like £2m up front then an extra £500k when he does his first handstand on the pitch, etc.

Really hope it is because of a takeover though. Remember reading the list of players Shearer wanted to keep and Bassong and Beye were both on it. Bids for them rejected, but Martins who wasn't on it has gone.

Would have snapped their hands off for 10 million pounds sterling. If that was the real offer which I'm almost positive it wasn't. 20 million pounds for Oba and Bassong would be fair enough business for us though. Especially as Bassong has already started to make the noises about leaving. It is August now, and I wouldn't ne surprised if some players give up the charade and start demanding transfers.

Guest Heneage

Bassong will be kicking off big style about this btw, so I wouldn't get your hopes up about him staying.

Good, I see no reason to pander to any players wants. If the offer doesn't match our asking price you are going nowhere.

Bassong's worth more than £10m imo. Mind you, I'm judging that on Glen Johnson being worth £17m so there's not realistically enough money in football to buy Bassong. Probably not the best comparison to make (Olivier Bernard and his hip are still worth a good £8m on that sliding scale).

Bassong's worth more than £10m imo. Mind you, I'm judging that on Glen Johnson being worth £17m so there's not realistically enough money in football to buy Bassong. Probably not the best comparison to make (Olivier Bernard and his hip are still worth a good £8m on that sliding scale).

Well if Fabian Delph is rated at 10 million then Bassong is surely worth more?

Would have snapped their hands off for 10 million pounds sterling. If that was the real offer which I'm almost positive it wasn't. 20 million pounds for Oba and Bassong would be fair enough business for us though. Especially as Bassong has already started to make the noises about leaving. It is August now, and I wouldn't ne surprised if some players give up the charade and start demanding transfers.

I think the money is going to service/payoff the overdraft.

Guest Heneage

Very true; 15-17m imo.

If the club are supposed "days away from being sold", who would have made this decision to reject the bid ?

Well as quite a few have pointed out, Shearer didn't really like Martins, but he liked Bassong and Beye.

How ridiculous is it that Bassong might be worth more than £15m? Not saying he shouldn't be compared to what others are going for, I think its as ludicrous as Lescott being "worth" for £20m+

How ridiculous is it that Bassong might be worth more than £15m? Not saying he shouldn't be compared to what others are going for, I think its as ludicrous as Lescott being "worth" for £20m+

At least Lescott accomplished something other than being relegated three times. Bassong is not English, and has only put one full good season together. Not worth more than 10 million.

If the club are supposed "days away from being sold", who would have made this decision to reject the bid ?

Well as quite a few have pointed out, Shearer didn't really like Martins, but he liked Bassong and Beye.

Think it was that Martins "had to go" Same with Coloccini, who will be off to probaly. We can feasibly keep Bassong and Beye.

Think it was that Martins "had to go" Same with Coloccini, who will be off to probaly. We can feasibly keep Bassong and Beye.

We can't keep players that are as clearly desperate to leave as those two. It just isn't good for the dressing room, regardless of how talented they are.

If they want to go we just have to try and get as much as we can for them.

When considering his valuation, I think it is highly questionable as to whether he was actually any good, or whether he was just a better player in a shite team. Comparing him to Martins though, he's worth at least £88m.

At least Lescott accomplished something other than being relegated three times. Bassong is not English, and has only put one full good season together. Not worth more than 10 million.

While Bassong was in a team that got relegated, I would have thought that most people might have noticed by now that the vast majority of the squad that was responsible for the relegation is not wanted by any club at all. I am talkking about Nolans, Duffs, Butts, Geremis etc.

Other clubs are very sensibly cherry picking the few obvious assets like Bassong, Beye and Martins. Just because they played with the rest of the Newcastle players doesn't make them shit by association. Quality will always be in demand and whether fans want to acknowledge it or not, the market will always tell the real story.