Dundee United 1 - 1 Newcastle United (FT) - 02/08/09

TaylorJ_01

Since when were friendly's ever a good indication of how well we were going to do competitively?

It's not rocket science tbh. We were playing bad football all last season and with a weaker squad we are doing the same now.

Since when were friendly's ever a good indication of how well we were going to do competitively?

It's not rocket science tbh. We were playing bad football all last season and with a weaker squad we are doing the same now.

We're in a weaker division though.  Hardly rocket science tbh. ;)

We're in a weaker division though.  Hardly rocket science tbh. ;)

We will stay play horrible football though...the opposition can't help us on that one ;)

Just back from the game. Was some fucking turnout guys, well done and thanks alot for coming through to scotland for a friendly!

Game was pretty bland. Missing any sort of quality.

Enrique, Duff (at times), Taylor, Kadar, Carrol all pretty good really. Still need to step it up big time though. The game ended just as it was getting interesting.

Crap game between two crap teams.  Our keeper flapped at the ball for Newcastle's goal but the boy did well to take his chance.  First penalty was never a penalty - ball to hand.  Second penalty was madness from the defender.

Just got home at 9ish. The atmopshere amongst the away fans was class.

It was great to be a part of the Bobby applause and the chorus' of 'There's only one Bobby Robson' throughout :thup:

Guest sicko2ndbest

It was great to be a part of the Bobby applause and the chorus' of 'There's only one Bobby Robson' throughout :thup:

What did you think of the game Jonny?

Any talk amongst the fans of the takeover?

What did you think of the game Jonny?

Any talk amongst the fans of the takeover?

Pretty bollocks like. Their only real efforts on goal were the two penalties, whilst we couldn't keep hold of the ball for too long. Barton should have scored a sitter, Nolan's strike near the end was pretty close, other than that, nowt really.

I heard nowt about the takeover, there wasn't any rumours travelling around.

Quick rundown:

Harper - Nothing really to do. Decent save for the first penalty, no chance with the second. Solid.

R. Taylor - Shaky as fuck. Alot of the players were having a go at him because he was so hesitant and taking for ages with passing and set pieces.

S. Taylor - A solid game. The rock at the back, especially with the young Kadar alongside him. Kept things ticking along.

Kadar - Decent game, a bit shaky at times but I put that down to nerves and the fact he's new to the first team.

Enrique - Quite good going forward. His runs made up for Jonas' lack of effort. At the back, a bit careless and behind play.

Duff - Typical Duff game. Ran alot, went down alot, protested alot. Didn't see what happened at the end but he was ordered off for having a go at the ref.

Barton - The engine in midfield again. Looked a decent player, made good passes and started moves. Should have finished his chance one on one

Smith - Meh. Did not wrong, did nothing really right of note.

Jonas - Poor. Kept giving the ball away, had a distinct lack of pace and looked very disinterested. No real effort on his part.

Nolan - Quite possibly the worst player ever. Beautifully put by the bloke behind me, "He's got a fucking touch like Coleen Nolan". Was shit and ruined alot going forward.

Carroll - Impressed me. Threw himself about alot, some of his play on the floor was decent, one move in particular was very impressive. Took his goal well and was getting nothing from the referee.

Referee - Absolute bollocks. Clearly a biased ref. He gave absolutely nowt to our players, gave them two dodgy penalities. He was clearly being influenced by the crowd. Was very poor.

One move in particular was when the ball was smacked up to Andy C, who brought it down surrounded by two Dundee players. He was having his shirt pulled to fucking shreds, pretty much dragged to the ground, and the ref gave the free kick against him. Was fucking astounding.

So, assuming only departures to come...

Harper

RTaylor  STaylor  Kadar/??  Kadar/??

Lua Lua      Barton     Guthrie      Duff

Carroll    Ameobi

Is this what we're looking at? Could be worse i suppose. None of even them lot guaranteed to stay though.

Guest Heneage

I can see a loan or two coming in. The lack of selling is good really, I remember hearing a crazy stat about Leeds like they went through 48 players in 2 seasons in the Championship.

I can see a loan or two coming in. The lack of selling is good really, I remember hearing a crazy stat about Leeds like they went through 48 players in 2 seasons in the Championship.

The lack of selling is killing us just as much as the lack of imports. These twats are squeezing through games against Leeds and Dundee, and getting bummed off Leyton Orient.

They're past caring. We'll get fucking mutilated at West Brom with this lot.

I'd go as far as to say Barton has been our best player in pre-season.  Wonder what happens if Shearer comes in. ???

It's a fascinating one. Part of me would hope Shearer stuck to his guns; told him to fuck off and maintained the discipline. He'd look a bit of a fairy backing down to a mere mortal like Barton. But at the end of the day Joey Barton will be invaluable for us in this league and we'll get threepence for him at best after all that's happened. Be really interesting. Fwiw, i think Shearer would give him another shot.

I'd go as far as to say Barton has been our best player in pre-season.  Wonder what happens if Shearer comes in. ???

I think it will help Barton if he's paired with someone like Guthrie rather than that heavy-footed lard arse Nolan.

Barton and Guthrie would be a cracking midfield partnership in the Championship. I think it would have been good in the Premiership tbh but was only managed once (and looked far more dynamic than any midfield that included Butt, even if it was WBA). Two box-to-box midfielders; fuck this one defensive/one attacking. They're similar players imo; Guthrie needs sharpening up but he'll flourish in this league. I'd even go as far to say Guthrie's the player i'd least like to leave. I can see him being our 'player of the season' in a year's time.

Said earlier the penalties looked pish.

Just seem them again there, a load of bollocks.

My arm was closer to the ball than Nolan's man!

How did the porridge-gobblers react to us singing about Bobby?