Keegan or Shearer

Guest ObaStar
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

keegan plz.  either as director of football or manager.

Question is can shearer and keegan work together?

No, Shearer aims to be a modern day professional - something that Keegan does not remind me of. 

Shearer all day long, he will never get a better opportunity and nor will we to gain stability.

Guest BooBoo

Keegans return was a dismal and sentimental appointment by Ashley who was desperate at the time to cow tow to the fans. A prime example of a returning manager ending in disaster after foolishly trying to emulate past glories.

Keegans return was a dismal and sentimental appointment by Ashley who was desperate at the time to cow tow to the fans. A prime example of a returning manager ending in disaster after foolishly trying to emulate past glories.

Wrong again Otter, not the Day to get involved with this tho.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Amazed a third of people want Keegan to return.

I think he would be treating us with complete contempt should he come back, especially with his part in teams relegation.

His reputation as a hero, whilst slightly tainted, is still in tact. I fear how history will remember him should he come back again.

Shearer for me everyday of the week

- Young, hungry, in touch with the modern name, a current footballing legend with everything to prove as a manager.

Guest The Libertine

if keegan wins his court case he wont be back. he'd have no reason to.

however, if he doesnt win....

What about Wise as manager?

*tin hat on*

If Ashley had of appointed Wise instead of Kinnear then we wouldn't be having this conversation...

Wow! Never mind the tin hat, mate, you need to disappear into a reinforced concrete shelter.

One of the ironies of recent events is that of all the people involved in the disaster, he was the only one who did his job well - we've got a very good crop of young players coming through.

Yet he's considered the main villain. That's the way it goes.

That's just what the official title said. None of us really know what influence he had on things. That's the whole point.

There's no way you can say for certain that he was doing his job well because nobody on here knows for certain what he was really meant to be doing.

Guest Brummiemag

I dont think he would ever come back but to say it was a dismal appointment is nonsense.

He was turning it round, results were improving and the football was improving for the first time in a long time. I'm confident that if Ashley had backed Keegan and given him control over transfers we would have finished upper mid table last season and be looking for a top 8 finish this season and most importantly we would have achieved it playing attractive entertaining football

Now that finally even most people on here can see what Ashley is really like (the many Ashley apologists on this board have at long last given up trying to defend him), how can anyone really blame Keegan for leaving. 

That's just what the official title said. None of us really know what influence he had on things. That's the whole point.

There's no way you can say for certain that he was doing his job well because nobody on here knows for certain what he was really meant to be doing.

Even his Boss Llambias couldnt explain it properly when asked  :lol:

I'd have thought it would be the other way around.

If he wins the court case, he can theoretically come back head held high and have some unfinished business with him having done nothing wrong, whereas if he loses the court case, then it'll have proven there wasn't much ground for him to walk away and I'd be very disappointed to see him back.

Guest The Libertine

I'd have thought it would be the other way around.

If he wins the court case, he can theoretically come back head held high and have some unfinished business with him having done nothing wrong, whereas if he loses the court case, then it'll have proven there wasn't much ground for him to walk away and I'd be very disappointed to see him back.

it was a (less thinly veiled than i though) dig at his motivation to come back if he doesnt need the wage again. i agree with your point, but just dont mention the phrase "unfinished business" again  :icon_puke_r:

We all wanted Shearer to learn his trade in the lower leagues and prove himself before taking on Newcastle in the Premiership. Well, circumstances have come together now and we can kill the two proverbial birds with one stone now.

Shearer to prove to his doubters in the Championship and lead us back to the Premiership  :clap2: 

As much as I love Keegan I'd have to go with Shearer. There'll be more mileage in Shearer and we'd be giving a young manager a chance. Sure it could possibly go balls up, or it could turn out to be the best decision we've made since we appointed KK in 1992.

Keegan. :lol: Aye, so he can get in a huff because his coffee isn't at the right temperature and quit again.

*Waits for: "OMG ASHLEEE SUPPORTER!!!11"*

I knew it was all Kath the tea lady's fault. We'll never be able to move forward until we stop living in the past and get in a young ambitious tea lady who doesn't actually know how to make tea yet.

Keegan - a manager who has proven he can make a team perform above their ability, who has proven he has a good eye for players who will fit into a desired formation and tactics which are not only winning but attractive to watch, who has a track record of 3 out of 3 promotions as runaway champions in his first year in charge.

Shearer - a complete unknown as a manager, but hey, at least supporters of other teams might not laugh at us and we're not "living in the past"

Difficult, difficult choice.

If I supported another team would I be allowed to prefer Keegan to Shearer without being accused of living in the past?

Spot on. The "living in the past" thing makes no sense to me. Keegan isn't Ged from Earthsea, he hasn't lost all his powers and is now some sort of impotent depressive has-been wondering around aimlessly. He proved what a massive difference in calibre there still is between him and the likes of Sam Allardyce last time he was here (only a year ago). He pretty much turned the same team that got relegated last season into a side that you could realistically see challenging for a top 6 spot over the course of an entire season. Had he been backed in the transfer market we'd probably have performed to a similar standard again - and judging by Kamil Zayatte's comments, Keegan was not undermined over "Henry, Ronaldinho and Lampard".

Keegan is still a top class manager in the same calibre as Sir Bobby in terms of the effect he has and the teams he can put out (and dare I say it, Keegan is better at building a team imo). Everyone can remember the impact Sir Bobby had on Gullitt's team and how he changed Shearer's game, we went from diabolical to OK - Keegan pretty much did the same with Big Sam's team and turned Owen into a dangerous player again by dropping him into midfield. Hence, I'd be willing to take a risk on Keegan still having the desire and hunger to be our manager in the long term, because finding a manager of that calibre is difficult, especially when the club is in the Championship. It's not about wanting Keegan because of what he did in the early/mid 90's, it's about wanting someone who is clearly the best manager we could get right now.

With regards to Shearer, there are serious doubts about his potential imo. There are indications that he could be good (e.g. dropping Owen), but also indications that he might be another run of the mill manager out of his depth in comparison to the opposition. He says the right things at times, but then so did Souness and Allardyce until it hit home how s*** they were and we started ignoring their now deluded comments. Keegan is much more in the Sir Bobby mould of managers, and seems to be a great motivator and man-manager, whereas Shearer based on e.g. the Barton episode seems more of a Souness type disciplinarian, someone with an ego who'll hang a player out to dry in public if he feels certain lines have been crossed (not saying Shearer is, just that he came across that way a bit). I also didn't like him dropping Jonas in the remaining few games - why? Drop the only outfield midfielder who actually does anything postitive on the pitch, one of the only players who can actually run considerably well, just to stick Guthrie on the wing whist keeping the faith with Butt/Nolan? I think in those situations, no matter how bad his end product, no top manager would have dropped a player like Jonas whilst sticking with players like Butt/Nolan. They'd have accomodated him into the team somewhere. And hence, you look at the managers who have failed here with us, particularly Dalglish (dropped Ginola), Sounses (dropped Robert) and Roeder (dropped N'Zogbia) is it possible that Shearer is another manager who fails to see the importance of ability/pace/running/something different? Maybe Jonas isn't a good enough indication of this because his end product was so s***, but again, looking at who Shearer replaced him with and the other players he refused to drop, it's worth thinking about.