A Sir Bobby Robson XI

Tooj

Stoichkov scored most of his goals in second rate leagues, obviously he also did well with Barcelona but I find it hard to say he was better than Shearer.

Different kinds of players so it's hard to chose.

I have to say, i'm nothing short of amazed that John Barnes, Alan Shearer and Nolberto Solano have been picked ahead of Hristo Stoitchkov here  :nope:

Stoichkov was a great player but he has always been a massive c***.. thick as pig s*** too.. can hardly string a sentence together.. no respect for his personality whatsoever

Shearer on the other hand is the better goalscorer, the better professional and not a f***ing idiot

are you saying that Shearer is a better player than Hristo Stoitchkov?

well, they're different types of strikers.. Stoichkov was quicker and had better technique.. probably more exciting to watch but Shearer was more consistent, a better goalscorer and a good professional. Tbh t's like comparing Edmundo to Batistuta or something.. I'd bet that Sir Bobby himself would always pick Shearer over the village idiot that is Stoichkov as a man.

I'd pick Shearer over the Bulgarian both in their primes any day and a 01-03 Shearer seems better to me than a 96-98 Stoichkov.

A little moot though as they'd both be sitting on the bench watching Ronaldo and Romario start in this team.

I'd pick Shearer over the Bulgarian both in their primes any day and a 01-03 Shearer seems better to me than a 96-98 Stoichkov.

A little moot though as they'd both be sitting on the bench watching Ronaldo and Romario start in this team.

Stoichkov was at his best from 90 to 94

edit: oh yeah, got it

Stoitchkov wasn't an out and out striker though, he was a winger/second striker.

Well Shearer got 41 assists on top of that so he was still way ahead

Stoichkov wasnt that good ffs

76 goals in 151 games at Barca compared to Shearers 112 in 138 at Blackburn.

That record is class for a man who wasn't an out and out goal-scorer.

Stoitchkov wasn't an out and out striker though, he was a winger/second striker.

Well Shearer got 41 assists on top of that so he was still way ahead

I'm really not sure if you're actually being serious with this or not.

My dad's harder than yours btw.

As a partnership a Shearer - Ronaldo prime would have been the best the world has ever seen and never likely too.

Romário and Ronaldo were a class partnership as well when they briefly played together.

Stoichkov was at his best from 90 to 94

I know but in the second bit I'm comparing the times they had Bobby as manager. But as I said anyway in their primes Shearer would still be ahead I think.

I think in Bobby's book as well before all of his injury problems he said Kevin Beattie was the player who he really regretted he had and never got him to fulfil his potential.

As a partnership a Shearer - Ronaldo prime would have been the best the world has ever seen and never likely too.

Romário and Ronaldo were a class partnership as well when they briefly played together.

No doubt, just think Shearer/Ronaldo would complement each other better.

Great thread btw, just shows the level SBR reached across the globe.  :thup:

No doubt, just think Shearer/Ronaldo would complement each other better.

Great thread btw, just shows the level SBR reached across the globe.  :thup:

Definitely man.

Yep, I'm sure it was a Confederations Cup final when they both hit a hattrick each in a 6-0 win or something.

On a slightly seperate note; Think of the players who were either from Newcastle or had played for Newcastle - that alone would match many of the greatest teams in history....

Gazza

Beardsley

Shearer

Given

Woodgate

Speed

Robert

Solano

etc.

It would have been mint.

Waddle

Guest Roger Kint

Shilton

Woodgate - Butcher - Nadal

Luis Enrique - Guardiola - Figo - Gazza - Stoichkov

Shearer - Ronaldo

Bench - Given, Romario, RVN, Beardsley, Linneker, Couto, Pearce

Guest helios_centric

Can't believe so many are going for Butcher. Des Walker was way better, certainly before he went to Italy. Walker was an astoundingly good defender.