Sebastien Bassong signs for Tottenham Hotspur, fee undisclosed

Crumpy Gunt

Great bit of business always thought this lad was a bit rash his red card against Fulham proved that..and thnk the lad is getting above his station he looked good but only because he was the best centre half amongst shite, you got to remember his last 2 clubs have been relegated while he was at centre half US and METZ

More worrying is the amount of money we are clawing in from transfers that is semming to be swallowed up and not re invested in any way

Milner,nzogbia,given,martins,bassong....yet nowt spent

You can easily spin that around and say he managed to play well even when surrounded by crap players. Even when playing under a midfield unable to hold the ball for 2 seconds and extremely slow.

And I think this is the more appropriate version  :thup: He'll do well and continue to progress

our best defender since woodgate. still though, the bigger picture is a scary one and £8million helps greatly.

Could have had a crap second year in the Premiership. He may have been the best defender since Woodgate but lets be honest we've not exactly had any good defenders in that time.

Guest Stephen927

Always a shame to see good players leave the club, but in our situation it's necessary to sell our more prized assets and get some good money for them.

£19m for Bassong and Martins would be similar to my evaluation of the pair, so good deals for the two of them. Fully expect Beye to be the next out of the door though I can't see us getting as much, it'll be £3m at most in the bank and £40k off the wage bill.

Shame we won't be able to shift the likes of Duff and Smith without paying for it in the long term by paying a portion of their wages.

our best defender since woodgate. still though, the bigger picture is a scary one and £8million helps greatly.

Could have had a crap second year in the Premiership. He may have been the best defender since Woodgate but lets be honest we've not exactly had any good defenders in that time.

That does sort of emphasise how difficult it is to get good defenders though. Doesn't exactly back up your dismissive attitude to us having finally landed one only to let him go a season later.

Always a shame to see good players leave the club, but in our situation it's necessary to sell our more prized assets and get some good money for them.

£19m for Bassong and Martins would be similar to my evaluation of the pair, so good deals for the two of them. Fully expect Beye to be the next out of the door though I can't see us getting as much, it'll be £3m at most in the bank and £40k off the wage bill.

Shame we won't be able to shift the likes of Duff and Smith without paying for it in the long term by paying a portion of their wages.

It was always going to work out that way though. Other clubs want the players with talent and/or low wages, not the useless fuckers currently being paid a small fortune.

Times:

The Frenchman arrived in London last night and is waiting to complete a medical as the clubs continue to haggle over a fee, believed to be in the region of £10 million.

We should definitely hold out for £10, we dont need to sell him cos of his wages and there is high interest in him. Do we know how long is left on his contract cos i've heard 1 and 2 years, which will be key to the price

You'd like to think that even without a new manager/ owner that this will lead to us signing a couple of players - and sharpish. Although these sales were enivitable it must be a bit demoralising for the rest of the players. We'd better wrap the players up in cotton wool ahead of Saturday or we'll have no defence or strikers.

Guest Roger Kint

Why would be accept a 8m bid after saying we've rejected a 10m one?  Could be its 8m up front and 3 or 4 more based on apearances ect

I dont think the club ever said they rejected 10m?

Arry said he didnt make that bid though.

Why would be accept a 8m bid after saying we've rejected a 10m one?  Could be its 8m up front and 3 or 4 more based on apearances ect

I dont think the club ever said they rejected 10m?

Arry said he didnt make that bid though.

Battle of the liars

That does sort of emphasise how difficult it is to get good defenders though. Doesn't exactly back up your dismissive attitude to us having finally landed one only to let him go a season later.

You seem to be forgetting we're a Championship club now. Also was it Joe Harvey who said you should always get rid of players who don't want to be at the club as quickly as possible otherwise you'll end up relying on them in a time of need and they will let you down.

Breaks my heart to see him go to Spurs as I just don't like them. The guy's potential is out of this universe. I know it's become a bit of a thing to claim he wasn't all that good but I don't agree at all. The kid is 20 years old and was in his first season in the premiership and playing in the worst side in the league and yet he still managed to stand out and have some colossal performances.

£8 million is a bargain for Spurs really. He will be with them for the next 10 - 15 years unless he is sold on in which case they will likely get double what they are paying. I can't stand Spurs fans. I remember them discussing the Newcastle team when we went down and claiming none of our players were any good, and Bassong was all hype and just another Bramble. They'll no doubt be claiming he is a top player now they've bought him though. Absolutely sick about this news.

Knew we were going to lose him, but the way he went about it has been all wrong. But he done exactly the same with Metz when we bought him.

He will be a good signing for them though, strong, quick, calm and composed. By no means anywhere near the finished article as he does have a tendency to man handle people a bit too much, but has the attributes to be a very good central defender. Also disproved the myth that the players around him aren't the reason why players in that position play poorly, he just has it. Take note of that Stevie Taylor.

You seem to be forgetting we're a Championship club now. Also was it Joe Harvey who said you should always get rid of players who don't want to be at the club as quickly as possible otherwise you'll end up relying on them in a time of need and they will let you down.

No problem with that as long as the buying club doesn't get the player for less than he's worth. In most cases they usually have to pay a premium for unsettling the player as City will do if they buy Lescott for £18-20m.

Guest Roger Kint

No problem with that as long as the buying club doesn't get the player for less than he's worth. In most cases they usually have to pay a premium for unsettling the player as City will do if they buy Lescott for £18-20m.

What was he worth when we signed him on the cheap then? We made a huge profit on it at a time the club are desperate and he was desperate to leave. Little choice sadly now to replace him.............................

Good ridden's and very good business.

Good (riddance) really?

We'll see if you still feel that way when we start the season with Taylor and Coloccini at centre back. Don't fault the guy for wanting to skip town. He is too good for the level we are currently at.

I suppose this was always going to happen, he may be our best cb but you know damn well if we rejected every bid for him he would be completely disinterested everytime he actually played for us this season. Hopefully it's another 8 mil closer to getting rid of Ashley now..