Sebastien Bassong signs for Tottenham Hotspur, fee undisclosed

Crumpy Gunt

Why would be accept a 8m bid after saying we've rejected a 10m one?  Could be its 8m up front and 3 or 4 more based on apearances ect

I dont think the club ever said they rejected 10m?

It wasn't an official announcement but SSN said the bid had been rejected as did just about every other news source.  I'd trust them over Redknapp.

our best defender since woodgate. still though, the bigger picture is a scary one and £8million helps greatly.

Could have had a crap second year in the Premiership. He may have been the best defender since Woodgate but lets be honest we've not exactly had any good defenders in that time.

That does sort of emphasise how difficult it is to get good defenders though. Doesn't exactly back up your dismissive attitude to us having finally landed one only to let him go a season later.

You seem to be forgetting we're a Championship club now. Also was it Joe Harvey who said you should always get rid of players who don't want to be at the club as quickly as possible otherwise you'll end up relying on them in a time of need and they will let you down.

No problem with that as long as the buying club doesn't get the player for less than he's worth. In most cases they usually have to pay a premium for unsettling the player as City will do if they buy Lescott for £18-20m.

What was he worth when we signed him on the cheap then? We made a huge profit on it at a time the club are desperate and he was desperate to leave. Little choice sadly now to replace him.............................

Just because we (for once) signed a defender on the cheap doesn't mean we should be happy to let him go for a profit, otherwise you could argue £2m is enough. We did pay £4m for Nolan by the way so i wouldn't start whistling a happy tune on the way to the bank just yet. That fat fuckers still here and no, there aren't any offers in.

Breaks my heart to see him go to Spurs as I just don't like them. The guy's potential is out of this universe. I know it's become a bit of a thing to claim he wasn't all that good but I don't agree at all. The kid is 20 years old and was in his first season in the premiership and playing in the worst side in the league and yet he still managed to stand out and have some colossal performances.

£8 million is a bargain for Spurs really. He will be with them for the next 10 - 15 years unless he is sold on in which case they will likely get double what they are paying. I can't stand Spurs fans. I remember them discussing the Newcastle team when we went down and claiming none of our players were any good, and Bassong was all hype and just another Bramble. They'll no doubt be claiming he is a top player now they've bought him though. Absolutely sick about this news.

I don't know any Spurs fan who didn't rate some Newcastle players.  I would have been happy to see Taylor, Bassong and N'Zogbia signed for the first team squad and Ranger as one for the future.  All potentially good players who have scope for improvement.  Newcastle's problems hasn't been the players in the squad but the way they've been managed.  Spurs have been guilty of the same and flirted with relegation in the not too distant past, the only difference is that Spurs have a manager who knows what he's doing, Newcastle haven't.

BTW, Bassong is 23 not 20.

Breaks my heart to see him go to Spurs as I just don't like them. The guy's potential is out of this universe. I know it's become a bit of a thing to claim he wasn't all that good but I don't agree at all. The kid is 20 years old and was in his first season in the premiership and playing in the worst side in the league and yet he still managed to stand out and have some colossal performances.

£8 million is a bargain for Spurs really. He will be with them for the next 10 - 15 years unless he is sold on in which case they will likely get double what they are paying. I can't stand Spurs fans. I remember them discussing the Newcastle team when we went down and claiming none of our players were any good, and Bassong was all hype and just another Bramble. They'll no doubt be claiming he is a top player now they've bought him though. Absolutely sick about this news.

I don't know any Spurs fan who didn't rate some Newcastle players.  I would have been happy to see Taylor, Bassong and N'Zogbia signed for the first team squad and Ranger as one for the future.  All potentially good players who have scope for improvement.   Newcastle's problems hasn't been the players in the squad but the way they've been managed.   Spurs have been guilty of the same and flirted with relegation in the not too distant past, the only difference is that Spurs have a manager who knows what he's doing, Newcastle haven't.

A bit of both really. Look at our midfield and attacking options. The lack of movement/passing ability is absolutely appalling.

Thanks for absolutely nothing Seb.

What about bringing in 16 times the fee we paid and being our best player for the whole season?

Or did you expect us to keep him? ..Nothing like being bitter though.

Good luck to the lad, i don't mind that it's Spurs either, he will get a lot of first team appearances in a team that was performing very well indeed at the close of the season.

Really? He was one of the few things I enjoyed on the pitch last season. Fuck knows who I would have said was player of the season if he wasn't around.

Guest Heneage

What about bringing in 16 times the fee we paid and being our best player for the whole season?

Good luck to the lad, i don't mind that it's Spurs either, he will get a lot of first team appearances in a team that was performing very well indeed at the close of the season.

Gurantee there's a sell on clause with Metz, or are you only bothered about making profits? Why couldn't we keep him sorry he's on like 5k a week. One of the few I thought we would, but hey nothing like being optimistic.

The lad was the first one wanting out, when he'd been far from perfect. Showed all the loyalty and class I'd expect.

I don't know any Spurs fan who didn't rate some Newcastle players.  I would have been happy to see Taylor, Bassong and N'Zogbia signed for the first team squad and Ranger as one for the future.  All potentially good players who have scope for improvement.   Newcastle's problems hasn't been the players in the squad but the way they've been managed.   Spurs have been guilty of the same and flirted with relegation in the not too distant past, the only difference is that Spurs have a manager who knows what he's doing, Newcastle haven't.

A bit of both really. Look at our midfield and attacking options. The lack of movement/passing ability is absolutely appalling.

Your squad isn't perfect, I'd accept that, but there's not many teams out there whose squad doesn't need tinkering with.  But what you had in the squad shouldn't  have made relegation an option, let alone a reality.  Even when Kinnear went ill Newcastle were nowhere near the relegation zone, you were mid table iirc.  I'm not saying Kinnear was the right appointment but when he went ill, someone should have been brought in, the club shouldn't have limped on.

I still maintain that a new manager now will get a lot more out of the players you have than the management team currently in charge.  Chris Hughton is not a manager, never has been, never will be.  He is a coach, simple as that.

If Spurs(or anyone else)get Bassong for 8m after Martins went for 9m, then the club has once again been made to look mugs.

Bassong has 4 times the potential that Martins has, is younger and can play at the top level for far longer as he is a defender ; Wouldn't have let him go for less that 10m...

The club will really struggle at the back if they are depending on Taylor and Coloccini to do the business.

Gurantee there's a sell on clause with Metz, or are you only bothered about making profits? Why couldn't we keep him sorry he's on like 5k a week. One of the few I thought we would, but hey nothing like being optimistic.

The lad was the first one wanting out, when he'd been far from perfect. Showed all the loyalty and class I'd expect.

Loyalty?! he was here a year, he had 4 managers, his team mates were on 10 times as much as him and they gave up half-way through the year.  When he was negotiating a new contract talks halted or ground to a close IIRC and he should be playing in the Premier League.  He has ambitions, and didn't want to be at a club which is frankly a joke at the minute.

Completely understandable.

I also do care about the fee, anything that helps keep the club running in these times can only be a good thing.

Why would be accept a 8m bid after saying we've rejected a 10m one?  Could be its 8m up front and 3 or 4 more based on apearances ect

It wasn't an official announcement but SSN said the bid had been rejected as did just about every other news source.  I'd trust them over Redknapp.

They say a lot of things :)

Guest Roger Kint

our best defender since woodgate. still though, the bigger picture is a scary one and £8million helps greatly.

Could have had a crap second year in the Premiership. He may have been the best defender since Woodgate but lets be honest we've not exactly had any good defenders in that time.

That does sort of emphasise how difficult it is to get good defenders though. Doesn't exactly back up your dismissive attitude to us having finally landed one only to let him go a season later.

You seem to be forgetting we're a Championship club now. Also was it Joe Harvey who said you should always get rid of players who don't want to be at the club as quickly as possible otherwise you'll end up relying on them in a time of need and they will let you down.

No problem with that as long as the buying club doesn't get the player for less than he's worth. In most cases they usually have to pay a premium for unsettling the player as City will do if they buy Lescott for £18-20m.

What was he worth when we signed him on the cheap then? We made a huge profit on it at a time the club are desperate and he was desperate to leave. Little choice sadly now to replace him.............................

Just because we (for once) signed a defender on the cheap doesn't mean we should be happy to let him go for a profit, otherwise you could argue £2m is enough. We did pay £4m for Nolan by the way so i wouldn't start whistling a happy tune on the way to the bank just yet. That fat fuckers still here and no, there aren't any offers in.

My ppoint was we got him very cheap and sold him for £8m. We either accept that or force an unhappy player to stay and hope he tries which is unlikely. No point in wondering about true worth when we paid so little. Nobody is happy at this situation, that much should be obvious and its what we have to deal with

They say a lot of things :)

yup ... like saying we'd signed woodgate when we hadn't... etc

Did you see those stats on Sky where it said we won more games without Bassong in the team.

It mean's fuck all.

Man Utd without Ronaldo had a better win percentage last season.

Guest kirkpatrick9

We had Bassong tied down for 2years, IMO we should've asked for 17 million and got 14million. But NUFC got affected by valuations put in the papers. Since when has a Newspaper valued a player.

Guest Heneage

Loyalty?! he was here a year, he had 4 managers, his team mates were on 10 times as much as him and they gave up half-way through the year.  When he was negotiating a new contract talks halted or ground to a close IIRC and he should be playing in the Premier League.  He has ambitions, and didn't want to be at a club which is frankly a joke at the minute.

Completely understandable.

I also do care about the fee, anything that helps keep the club running in these times can only be a good thing.

What about loyalty to the fans that have shown him nothing but support? He's hardly been the perfect defender, or are we ignoring the 2-3 red cards he picked up? The irony being it was his poor positioning that cost us the goal away to Tottenham.

My ppoint was we got him very cheap and sold him for £8m. We either accept that or force an unhappy player to stay and hope he tries which is unlikely. No point in wondering about true worth when we paid so little. Nobody is happy at this situation, that much should be obvious and its what we have to deal with

If he didnt want to destroy his own career prospects he would have had to try.

We've got decent money for him, doesnt mean much if we dont use it usefully. Right now, i dont see it as good business tbh.

We'll have to see.

What about loyalty to the fans that have shown him nothing but support? He's hardly been the perfect defender, or are we ignoring the 2-3 red cards he picked up? The irony being it was his poor positioning that cost us the goal away to Tottenham.

You cant blame any of the players for wanting to leave the shambles of a club ours has been. Let alone one whos been here for such a little period of time & was being let down mostly by those around him for much of the season.

Good ridden's and very good business.

Good (riddance) really?

We'll see if you still feel that way when we start the season with Taylor and Coloccini at centre back. Don't fault the guy for wanting to skip town. He is too good for the level we are currently at.

Ye I take your point, but if he wants out, get him out.  A further £8M/£10M in the clubs coffers which will hopefull help the sale of the club.

Guest Roger Kint

If he didnt want to destroy his own career prospects he would have had to try.

We've got decent money for him, doesnt mean much if we dont use it usefully. Right now, i dont see it as good business tbh.

We'll have to see.

Well obviously its all for nowt if he isnt replaced, thats a given

Guest Heneage

You cant blame any of the players for wanting to leave the shambles of a club ours has been. Let alone one whos been here for such a little period of time & was being let down mostly by those around him for much of the season.

They got us relegated I can blame all I bloody like. :lol: